NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   "Eye exercises" to reconnect regions of brain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/207000-eye-exercises-reconnect-regions-brain.html)

underwater 07-17-2014 10:23 PM

"Eye exercises" to reconnect regions of brain?

Hi all,
Sending you all wishes for your health, safety and happiness. My question is whether anyone has come across research that supports doing exercises with your eyes to more quickly reconnect areas of the brain. My neurologist thinks not. Chiropracter thinks so. Neurologist has a lot more training, but hasn't been terribly helpful, i guess because she cannot influence time.

I'm 3 months, 6 days (but who's counting) into a concussion (my second at least, slammed a rock upside down underwater while kayaking), can now walk a couple miles slowly (was just a dream a month ago) but still struggling with headaches, fatigue, getting overwhelmed easily.

How i wish those darn emoticons would stop moving.

anon1028 07-17-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underwater (Post 1083029)
Hi all,
Sending you all wishes for your health, safety and happiness. My question is whether anyone has come across research that supports doing exercises with your eyes to more quickly reconnect areas of the brain. My neurologist thinks not. Chiropracter thinks so. Neurologist has a lot more training, but hasn't been terribly helpful, i guess because she cannot influence time.

I'm 3 months, 6 days (but who's counting) into a concussion (my second at least, slammed a rock upside down underwater while kayaking), can now walk a couple miles slowly (was just a dream a month ago) but still struggling with headaches, fatigue, getting overwhelmed easily.

How i wish those darn emoticons would stop moving.

they wanted me to do vestibular therapy due to vertical nystagmus caused by head injury but I was too sick at the time. I have read interesting work regading the subject. it couldn't hurt.

Mark in Idaho 07-18-2014 01:11 AM

My question is, What is meant by 'to more quickly reconnect areas of the brain.' ?

There is a big difference between a brain that has been comatose and needs exercise to re-awaken pathways and a brain that has had those pathways damaged.

Lightrail11 07-18-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underwater (Post 1083029)
Hi all,

I got a list of eye exercises from an occupational therapist. They can help with visual deficits, such as near term/far term focus, peripheral vision etc. As I understand it the repeated eye movements can help reconnect synapses in the occipital lobe, but I would go with the neurologist's view if the idea is that it will help "reconnect" areas not involved with visual processing. But who knows, the brain is a very complex organ and visual processing connects with memory storage and recall. Certainly can't hurt.

berkeleybrain 07-18-2014 12:05 PM

Yes, the brain, prioception, vestibular systems and the eyes all move in concert. Brain injuries bring this relationship into sharp focus. I know 3 months seems like a long time, but I'm now almost 2 years, and I'm still in "recovery".

I think that you do need to rest, and the fact that you still have symptoms means that your brain is still not happy. Has your neurologist given you much of an indicator of what is going on? I.e. what was affected in your accident?

Have you seen a neuro-opthalmologist? This would help identify vision and nystagmus.

Was the inner ear affected? This would affect the rocky boat/dizziness sensation and nausea. A vestibular therapist can also help with balance and coordination issues.

Vision and vestibular systems are related but its a complex system and many doctors are not sure just how to coordinate care. I went to both ENTs and Neuro-opthalmologists as well as neurologists.

Daily, gentle walks at 5, 10 minutes do help (with sunglasses and hats to reduce visual clutter) as they force the brain to adjust. Icing the neck will reduce nausea.

But don't rush your healing as well. :) It does take time.