NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Multiple Concussions (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/207239-multiple-concussions.html)

tbeam 07-23-2014 03:43 PM

Multiple Concussions

Hi. About a month ago I got a minor concussion. Hit heads with my cousin tubing. Didnt get knocked out but got pretty tired after and felt out of it. Minor headaches for a lil while but was feeling alot better when about 3 weeks after the concussion I hit my head on a glass table standing up from sitting on the ground. Since then I have felt irritable, anxious, out of it, and have had trouble putting my thoughts into words, and became pretty forgetful. I didnt get knocked out or anything, and at first didnt think it was that bad. Its been a week or two since then n while I feel a bit better everyday I am still not feeling myself at all. Could these 2 minor hits to the head cause any permanent damage?

anon1028 07-23-2014 04:03 PM

welcome to the room. Others will be along shortly. I highly doubt you did any lasting damage with two minor injuries especially if you're feeling a little better everyday after weeks. Just to try and rest as much as possible and no drinking until it all clears up and no risk taking to give it a chance to heal and I think you will be fine. Like I said those who know better will come along in awhile.

Mark in Idaho 07-23-2014 04:16 PM

tbeam,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

You are very early in your recovery. Nobody can say what kind of lasting damage you have suffered. Likely very little. You may just be more sensitive to head impacts.

Read the sticky at the top about Vitamins and Supplements. Good brain nutrition will help your brain tolerate stress.

Just take it easy for a few weeks.

tbeam 07-23-2014 04:43 PM

Thanks. Two things I did leave out are that I had an MRI that came back clear, and the second hit to my head was enough to leave a bruise for awhile.

anon1028 07-23-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbeam (Post 1084425)
Thanks. Two things I did leave out are that I had an MRI that came back clear, and the second hit to my head was enough to leave a bruise for awhile.

you will be fine. a concussion can take from a month to two years to get best results. symptoms may get worse before they get better or perhaps they won't. either way, do not worry yourself. you should be fine, really. just do the things mark in Idaho told you to do.

Mark in Idaho 07-23-2014 05:21 PM

I doubt there was any reason to have an MRI. A bruise is not a big deal.

Your anxiety is a bigger issue. Anxiety puts a strain on the brain that slows recovery.

As I said, you are VERY early in your recovery. There is an 80% chance that you will spontaneously recover over the next 4 weeks.

tbeam 07-23-2014 06:40 PM

Thanks. I'll try not to worry about. Just have been feeling very off recently. I'll be sure to check out the nutrition page.

tbeam 07-23-2014 06:46 PM

Also, I tried to research some on my own and read that getting a concussion soon after another can be really bad, having permanent effects. Why is it that you guys think differently? Not doubting just curious. This has definitely helped me to worry less.

anon1028 07-23-2014 07:04 PM

it can be frightening if you let it get to you. just remember it will get better and fight the fear.

Hockey 07-23-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbeam (Post 1084472)
Also, I tried to research some on my own and read that getting a concussion soon after another can be really bad, having permanent effects. Why is it that you guys think differently? Not doubting just curious. This has definitely helped me to worry less.

It is true that the potential for serious problems increases with each concussion.

It is also true that no one can say, with absolute certainty, if/when a person will be back to normal. I think the others are optimistic for your recovery because you are very early in your injury, and already showing significant and steady improvement.

It is important that you rest (physically and mentally), eat properly and abstain from alcohol.