NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Can anxiety make you temporarily worse? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/207340-anxiety-temporarily-worse.html)

4yearson 07-25-2014 07:21 PM

Can anxiety make you temporarily worse?

I was wondering if short anxiety attacks can make your symptoms get worse for a temporary amount of time. I usually don't have any but I did something that theoretically could cause a concussion but in reality has a 0.0001% of causing one and I just couldn't stop thinking about it. I started obsessing over it and playing the scenario over and over which only made it worse. And while I felt pretty good most of the day one slight change seemed to make me start wondering and brought on worse symptoms. Is this something that anxiety can cause and simple confidence can restore? Thanks for any responses.

SarahSmile0205 07-25-2014 08:33 PM

Sorry, I did not read anymore than the title...

Yes, anxiety can make you worse.

Bruins88 07-25-2014 08:37 PM

Yes it can. Anxiety alone can cause a brain fog and headaches to even uninjured people.

Mark in Idaho 07-25-2014 09:46 PM

As the others said, yes, anxiety can make concussion symptoms worse.

Regarding your risk of a concussion, there are many things we do every day that with just a single wrong move can end up causing a concussion. It is the nature of life.

btw, What did you do ?

jinga 07-27-2014 02:17 PM

anxiety making things worse

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4yearson (Post 1084982)
I was wondering if short anxiety attacks can make your symptoms get worse for a temporary amount of time. I usually don't have any but I did something that theoretically could cause a concussion but in reality has a 0.0001% of causing one and I just couldn't stop thinking about it. I started obsessing over it and playing the scenario over and over which only made it worse. And while I felt pretty good most of the day one slight change seemed to make me start wondering and brought on worse symptoms. Is this something that anxiety can cause and simple confidence can restore? Thanks for any responses.

yes - you have reached your threshold so no more stress can be processed by the brain, even small amounts of stress are intolerable than before. unfortunately insurance carriers and family friends dont get the connection so they think you are just not handling stress well and that is your only problem - what they dont realize is your ability to handle normal stressors is far less than before so you get more stressed quicker, its a vicious cycle