NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   i have been in pain a long time- can i get them to shorten the tubing? (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/207528-pain-time-shorten-tubing.html)

yearsinpain 07-31-2014 04:01 AM

i have been in pain a long time- can i get them to shorten the tubing?

heres the situation upon having a shunt replacement i began having pelvic pain. it has affected my life to the point where i cant even function. there is extra slack in the tubing that if removed may fix my pain completely because the bottom portion would not be near the nerve responsible for creating such pain.

is it possible to get them to shorten the tubing or am i stuck this way?

Kitt 07-31-2014 09:12 AM

Welcome yearsinpain. :Tip-Hat:

Someone will be along to help.

pogo 08-05-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yearsinpain (Post 1086180)
heres the situation upon having a shunt replacement i began having pelvic pain. it has affected my life to the point where i cant even function. there is extra slack in the tubing that if removed may fix my pain completely because the bottom portion would not be near the nerve responsible for creating such pain.

is it possible to get them to shorten the tubing or am i stuck this way?

If you can't function... what options does your surgeon suggest when you bring this up? I know some people talk about needing to wait, and waiting can help some things (sometimes waiting has helped but I would be more than pushy when quality of life tanks), but is your surgeon really listening to your story? I don't know if they can shorten the tubing for you. I know they put a boatload of tubing in my daughter so they won't need to lengthen it, always looped around in her lower pelvis on those shunt series, she won't be needing it all, but ymmv. So your surgeon needs to give you the explanations and options, but that's assuming your surgeon listens to your issues.

yearsinpain 08-20-2014 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo (Post 1087254)
If you can't function... what options does your surgeon suggest when you bring this up? I know some people talk about needing to wait, and waiting can help some things (sometimes waiting has helped but I would be more than pushy when quality of life tanks), but is your surgeon really listening to your story? I don't know if they can shorten the tubing for you. I know they put a boatload of tubing in my daughter so they won't need to lengthen it, always looped around in her lower pelvis on those shunt series, she won't be needing it all, but ymmv. So your surgeon needs to give you the explanations and options, but that's assuming your surgeon listens to your issues.

my surgeon is in cover his butt mode saying the pain isnt from the shunt. i have seen multiple physical therapists that focused on mobilizing scar tissue and they have said to me that the location of the shunt tubing in some areas hits a nerve that can cause pelvic pain.

Rynohanley 11-14-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yearsinpain (Post 1090556)
my surgeon is in cover his butt mode saying the pain isnt from the shunt. i have seen multiple physical therapists that focused on mobilizing scar tissue and they have said to me that the location of the shunt tubing in some areas hits a nerve that can cause pelvic pain.

Hopefully you've reached a solution by now, but if not:
I experienced what I referred to as the pull/punch/stab. Depending on my movement, it would suddenly feel like someone was pulling down hard on my testicles, punching my stomach, and stabbing my perenium. It was crippling. I had 15mm cut off of the tube, and the pains disappeared.

annakkro 02-01-2015 05:05 PM

The tubing is what is causing your pain. It is rubbing up against your phrenic nerve which serves all the organs in your peritoneum. This happened to me, and it was there for 9 months before NSG finally admitted that it was causing the pain and shortened it. Unfortunately, because it was wrapped around my diaphragm for so long, I have lasting nerve damage and from time to time it feels like it is still wrapped. Do you also have pain in your collarbone area? This is called referred pain and it is also from the tubing.