NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Does sudden braking in the car cause any harm to the brain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/207576-sudden-braking-car-cause-harm-brain.html)

Galaxy1012 08-01-2014 04:52 AM

Does sudden braking in the car cause any harm to the brain?

Hi all, i am 4 months into PCS. I have a concern that I want to address to. Whenever I drive my car, I have had several instances when I have to suddenly apply the breaks and there is a sudden jerk to my body in the forward direction but there is no impact to the head whatsoever. All these instances have taken place at a speed of less than 5 mph as I drive very cautiously and slow these days. Will this in any way cause any harm or further impact to my brain ? Sorry maybe the question is vague or funny, I was concerned about it so asking..thanks

SarahSmile0205 08-01-2014 08:25 AM

More than likely not... could be your neck that is causing pain or could be anxiety.

Hockey 08-01-2014 08:42 AM

Probably not, but your head does not have to bump anything external to incur a TBI.

Whiplash can cause TBI because your brain moves INSIDE your skull. The impact with the skull, especially the boney bit around your eyebrows and nose, can shave off axons. There are people on this very forum wresting PCS as a result of people rear ending their cars at relatively low speed.

However, as the previous poster said, injuries to the neck can be aggravated by shaking. That is more likely to be the source of your current difficulties.

Mark in Idaho 08-01-2014 10:21 AM

Your anxiety is worse than any possible risk of injury. The upper body has so much ability to absorb strains like a sudden stop as long as you are not getting a strong jerk from the seatbelt. Then, the risk is more of a whiplash like risk.

Relax.

JuliaBertha 08-01-2014 11:10 AM

I have been wondering the same thing. I am definitely driving more cautiously, and do no sudden movements with my head or neck. Good luck to you.

SarahSmile0205 08-01-2014 07:40 PM

Maybe i live in a dream world but I think that the only thing that could cause more damage is something as violent as the accident... am I wrong?

anon1028 08-01-2014 07:57 PM

I don't notice anything from even violent jerks in the car. but I only had one concussion and most damage was done by abi...different animal since although I get brutal neck stiffness, there is no structural damage

Hockey 08-02-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSmile0205 (Post 1086588)
Maybe i live in a dream world but I think that the only thing that could cause more damage is something as violent as the accident... am I wrong?

Sadly, you're wrong. I know people battling PCS after being hit in the face with a soccer ball, bumping heads with another kid on a trampoline, walking into a door, etc...

I don't think that there is anyway to know how a "bump on the head" will play out from brain to brain. Why do some people come back well from seemingly devastating injuries, while others struggle for years as the consequence of tripping and bumping their noggin on the coffee table? We don't know.