NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Crows & a Bald Eagle (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/207944-crows-bald-eagle.html)

Kitt 08-10-2014 04:30 PM

Crows & a Bald Eagle

We saw three crows chasing a Bald Eagle in our woods this A.M. Quite the ruckus. Interesting for sure.

mrsD 08-10-2014 05:14 PM

Yep.. Almost all birds harass eagles. Up here
Are crows, ravens, and 2 species of gull
That we see commonly.

My current signature shows 3 crows trying
To intimidate an adult bald eagle to give up its fish.

Kitt 08-10-2014 05:42 PM

Yup, and Bald Eagles harass other birds, etc. as well. Equal opportunity. :)

The Bad Cormorant 08-10-2014 05:59 PM

Its quite common to see smaller birds harass much larger ones, as MrsD says it can be to gang up and get the other bird to drop food, but they will harass and mock birds that are a threat such predators or birds that may simply compete for the same food source.

We often watch crows harass Buzzards and then in turn see much smaller birds give the crows a hard time.

Kitt 08-10-2014 06:15 PM

And we see all kinds of it where I live. We have many kinds of birds and all kinds of other animals as well. It is nice to watch. This Bald Eagle is not the first that has been in our territory and won't be the last.

The Bad Cormorant 08-10-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 1088477)
And we see all kinds of it where I live. We have many kinds of birds and all kinds of other animals as well. It is nice to watch. This Bald Eagle is not the first that has been in our territory and won't be the last.

Where abouts are you that you get to see Bald Eagles ?

Kitt 08-10-2014 07:12 PM

I won't divulge that information. But I assure you that we do see them all of the time. In fact, a couple years ago three were living right in the area; mama, papa, and the young one.

The Bad Cormorant 08-10-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 1088502)
I won't divulge that information. But I assure you that we do see them all of the time. In fact, a couple years ago three were living right in the area; mama, papa, and the young one.

A wonderful bird to see, I was just reading they are widespread across North America now and even some in the USA, which is good news as I believe they were nearly wiped out at one point (down to 500 nesting pairs) but now maybe approaching 10,000 pairs.

The closest bird we have to the bald eagle will be the "white tailed eagle" (a slightly bigger and stronger bird) we had wiped ours out completely but they have been reintroduced and are doing OK now.

mrsD 08-11-2014 07:04 AM

Juvenile newly fledged crows can be very
Destructive. We call them delinquents.

I have watched them raid nests in trees throwing
Young birds out or worse. They also harass
Bats. We rescued a poor quivering small brown
Bat once by putting bark over it.. The melee that
The crow mob caused allowed us to investigate.

The eagles we have are often chased by
Crows and gulls. I have watched a mature
Eagle take a mother Merganser one summer
And I have a photo of the orphans that generated
In my profile.

The Bad Cormorant 08-11-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1088563)
Juvenile newly fledged crows can be very
Destructive. We call them delinquents.

I have watched them raid nests in trees throwing
Young birds out or worse. They also harass
Bats. We rescued a poor quivering small brown
Bat once by putting bark over it.. The melee that
The crow mob caused allowed us to investigate.

The eagles we have are often chased by
Crows and gulls. I have watched a mature
Eagle take a mother Merganser one summer
And I have a photo of the orphans that generated
In my profile.

Crows are highly intelligent and are even thought to be on the same IQ level as primates, some of their problem solving abilities is just astonishing.

But I agree they are not liked, strange how we never seem to care greatly for any wild animals that are adaptable and successful - we only seem to get to like creatures when they become few and far between.