NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Unable to tolerate Fish Oil (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/208213-unable-tolerate-fish-oil.html)

Synnove 08-16-2014 07:32 PM

Unable to tolerate Fish Oil

I was ordered by my cardiologist a long time ago to take, I think it was Fish Oil capsules three times daily.
I did start taking it for a while, but found that it caused heartburn. ( I already have terrible GERD and have to take Protonix twice daily)
For this reason I stopped

I have now more recently realized that I really need to try to take the Fish Oil, and I have taken it twice daily for a while, but the same thing happens, heartburn in PM.

Is there something I can take in substitution? I know that I could eat Salmond every day or so, but I do not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mrsD 08-16-2014 08:15 PM

Try krill oil. No GI upset with it . I get ours at costco
Very affordably.

Dr. Smith 08-17-2014 12:43 PM

IME, not all fish/krill oils, etc. are created equal. Just as some taste (and re-taste, if you catch my drift... :rolleyes: :vomit:) "fishier" than others, the "heartburn factor" can vary significantly as well.

OTOH, if you've tried them all...

fish oil alternatives

Doc

Synnove 08-17-2014 03:13 PM

thanks to you both

The Fish Oil I have been taking lately is Enteric Coated Fish Oil by Spring Value.

I have tried another kind before.

I will try Krill Oil next.

I do eat a lot of flax seed, I use about a tbs. of flaxseed on my oatmeal porage daily, and also add strawberries and extra amt. blueberries.
I use only Olive Oil for cooking.
Also use some shrimps.

By the way, regarding supplement for neuropathy, I also find the Alpha Lipoic Acid, by Natures Bounty, hard on the GI system ( nausea )
I have to try another brand if possible.

Thanks

Dr. Smith 08-18-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synnove (Post 1090008)
By the way, regarding supplement for neuropathy, I also find the Alpha Lipoic Acid, by Natures Bounty, hard on the GI system ( nausea )
I have to try another brand if possible.

I've been taking Doctors Best of late, mostly because it was the best deal at the time we ordered. I've gotten a little acidy on rare occasions (empty stomach, pre-existing issues) but a little food or a couple of antacids took care of it. Taking with food hasn't negatively affected it that I've noticed.

Doc

Batik 08-26-2014 09:10 AM

Or you could take an algae oil, such as Opti3. Algae are where the fish get their omega 3s from. It's DHA and EPA, so it's much better utilised by the body than flaxseed oil.