NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   muscle twitching/spasms (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/208361-muscle-twitching-spasms.html)

RAllen82 08-20-2014 04:19 PM

muscle twitching/spasms

Has anyone experienced this after being on an SSRI? I started having them out of the blue yesterday and the nurse said it isn't a side effect she hears of. The twitches are pretty wide spread all over my body and I'm on a low dose of Zoloft. They are painless, but annoying to say the least. Thanks.

SarahSmile0205 08-20-2014 05:08 PM

Yes, I have twitches... whole body.. but form the concussion not from a med... I think a lot of people here twitch...

I also have a twitch in my index fingers and that is from nerve damage and some herniated disks in my neck that press on my spinal cord...

RAllen82 08-20-2014 05:39 PM

Thanks Sarah. I'm sorry to hear you're also dealing with this. I didn't have an injury to my neck nor have I had issues with neck pain since. I was seeing if anyone had this since beginning an anti-depressant, specifically an SSRI.

Bruins88 08-20-2014 08:23 PM

Yes. Neurologist says its very common with tbi patients. Didnt say why though.

Slg1 08-22-2014 07:17 PM

I experience the same thing. The ones in the side and front of the neck are annoying but do not cause me pain.

Hockey 08-22-2014 07:48 PM

Yep, I twitch and spasm from the tbi and spinal cord damage. I don't take SSRIs.

Lara 08-22-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAllen82 (Post 1090661)
Has anyone experienced this after being on an SSRI? I started having them out of the blue yesterday and the nurse said it isn't a side effect she hears of. The twitches are pretty wide spread all over my body and I'm on a low dose of Zoloft. They are painless, but annoying to say the least. Thanks.

It may not be from the Zoloft but I have heard of people getting muscle twitches on Zoloft.
There's a list of less common or rare side effects on this site
Mayo - Sertraline/Zoloft side effects

How low is the dose and do you take it with any other medications?

Muscle twitching when on an SSRI when taken combined with other certain medications could be a sign of serotonin syndrome. I'm not saying you have that. I'm just letting you know.

Serotonin-Syndrome Basics

willgardner 08-22-2014 08:04 PM

muscle twitching from SSRI is not uncommon. If the twitching is, in fact, from the medication you are taking, it will disappear when you stop the medication.

I have muscle contractions/shaking from brain/spinal cord damage. I am not on any meds.

Sitke 08-22-2014 09:02 PM

My head twitches, hard to describe, it just twitches to one side quickly.

I'm on Wellbutrin and never had this happen until after my accident.

I was on Zoloft for years and don't remember ever getting them but everyone is different. :grouphug: