NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   "Coma" Naps (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/208444-coma-naps.html)

Slg1 08-22-2014 07:36 PM

"Coma" Naps

Almost everyday (typically in the afternoon), I experience what I have nicknamed "coma naps". This is because I fall asleep so quickly and sometimes feel like I have no choice. The sensation is like cement filling my brain until my body says "enough". While I am asleep, I sleep so deeply that I don't wake up for a few hours (2-3 hrs). I have had to be shook awake on some occasions. Other times I have slept through dogs barking, someone coming to visit, fire alarms, phone calls and alarms. I have been having these for 7 months now. I have to use sleeping pills at night to sleep, and I do sleep pretty good through the night.

Neurologist and family doctor are not concerned; however they leave me feeling uneasy. Especially with school is starting again and I have to get up in time to pick up my son at the bus stop. Does anyone else experience this?

Hockey 08-22-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slg1 (Post 1091131)
Almost everyday (typically in the afternoon), I experience what I have nicknamed "coma naps". This is because I fall asleep so quickly and sometimes feel like I have no choice. The sensation is like cement filling my brain until my body says "enough". While I am asleep, I sleep so deeply that I don't wake up for a few hours (2-3 hrs). I have had to be shook awake on some occasions. Other times I have slept through dogs barking, someone coming to visit, fire alarms, phone calls and alarms. I have been having these for 7 months now. I have to use sleeping pills at night to sleep, and I do sleep pretty good through the night.

Neurologist and family doctor are not concerned; however they leave me feeling uneasy. Especially with school is starting again and I have to get up in time to pick up my son at the bus stop. Does anyone else experience this?

It's almost like a sleep attack, isn't it? Do you dream during these episodes?

willgardner 08-22-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slg1 (Post 1091131)

Neurologist and family doctor are not concerned

They are not going to be concerned unless it is life-threatening IMHO.

I have these naps when I push myself beyond my limit.

Sitke 08-22-2014 09:00 PM

I had these right after accident for several months, I'd just fall asleep, no control over it and didn't know it happened until I'd wake up.

Didn't happen for months then now funnily enough they are back and I am extremely stressed over a lot of things.

My neuro didn't seem concerned either.

Mark in Idaho 08-22-2014 09:03 PM

I suggest you consider sleep apnea. Daytime sleepiness is often due to poor oxygenation during sleep.

I have sleep apnea and when I have an episode, I will have those same coma naps. I have been able to control my sleep apnea so these events are very rare now. They used to happen multiple times per week.

Slg1 08-23-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey (Post 1091134)
It's almost like a sleep attack, isn't it? Do you dream during these episodes?

No, I don't dream at all.

Slg1 08-23-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1091150)
I suggest you consider sleep apnea. Daytime sleepiness is often due to poor oxygenation during sleep.

I have sleep apnea and when I have an episode, I will have those same coma naps. I have been able to control my sleep apnea so these events are very rare now. They used to happen multiple times per week.

Interesting… I will investigate this further. Thanks.

Hockey 08-23-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slg1 (Post 1091214)
No, I don't dream at all.

I figured. That is so TBI. Do you dream during "regular" sleep?

poetrymom 08-23-2014 11:25 AM

crash naps

Oh yeah I remember those. That horrible, awful, nearly nauseaous feeling of impending afternoon sleep, which on waking, made me feel worse.

I think there is some research being done about concussion sleep. At any rate, it's like nothing I've ever had before. Gail Denton describes it in BrainLashed (her book) or I think she does.

I think it's the brain working to heal. It could be more too, but I am not sure. You might want a doc to check it for other issues.

Hang in there.

poetrymom

Sitke 08-23-2014 02:37 PM

Interesting about the sleep apnea, I'm actually going for a sleep study in early September.

Now I do remember my Dr thinking the sleep episodes were the brain trying to heal.

I notice you say yours last for 2-3 hours, mine are only for about 10-20 mins or so.

Don't know how you sleep at night? do you wake up a lot? My sleep is awful, constantly wake up and have tremors.

When I get the episodes during the day though, it's not like oh i'm just going to take a nap as I feel so tired, it just happens so suddenly and my head has sometimes just gone downwards, if I'm sitting up, only know that when I wake up as i never remember actually falling asleep.

It just feels different somehow.