NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   ALS ice bucket? How about us? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/208558-als-ice-bucket.html)

madamlash 08-26-2014 10:31 AM

ALS ice bucket? How about us?

My hat is off to the ALS folks for really shining a light on ALS and collecting a lot of funds for research. I along with millions of others was extremely sad at the loss of Robin Williams. My take on it was that PD was the final straw. I'm not sure that most people realize that depression is one of the nastiest parts of PD. This might be a great educating moment to get the word out there that PD isn't just a case of the shakes.
I feel that we're being too quiet about this. We need our own "ice water" campaign to raise awareness and research funds.

Nan Cyclist 08-26-2014 12:27 PM

PDF has a pie in the face campaign, which may gather some dollars, but the ALS phenom is likely one of a kind. Having lost two family members to ALS, I'm happy they are having this success.

Thelma 08-26-2014 01:53 PM

Those with ALS have had little or no ways of getting their message across as when it takes hours and hours to be a part of any site in order to respond or answer the time period eliminates the interest from the responder. Make a mistake and the posting is gone or meaning altered and again the time period is too great for most. I think I am the only one still here from the old site at Braintalk and for me I am so discouraged by the fact that all of these diseases are left up to how much fun and games others can have before they give to the horrendous diseases they them selves may one day face. I will end befor i get really started at what I really feel about this new show. Today the Prime Minister of Canada was challenged by an actor who was doused by the ice in Calgary and is receiving publicity all over the net and papers as well.

It is too bad he could not have taken the route of another star who gave monies instead of ice, For him I will say his name Robert Downey JR.

pegleg 08-27-2014 06:25 PM

Let's be creative

Yeah for ALS! They really scored with this idea. You never know what will catch on, but the Ice Bucket Challenge has certainly been successful. I just wish I had thought of it first. LOL

We need to think up something that gets a reaction - like maybe a cold shake poured over our heads (NOT!). But seriously' we need to come up with something that is at least half as effective as the ALSice bucket challenge.

Put on your thinking caps!
Peggy

Tupelo3 08-27-2014 07:16 PM

Knowing how hard it is for those with ALS, I'm so happy this campaign has worked out for them in raising so much extra money. It's still not anywhere near the amount they need.

As for our PD community, my experience with the internet and social media makes me think that these viral events just happen, they aren't planned. Certainly, that's what happened in this case as it wasn't originally planned as an ALS fundraiser. There is the pies-for-Parkinson's thing that I've been seeing. Not sure how successful it is. I think it's too similar and too close in time to the ice bucket for ALS.