NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Gastritis and Proton pump inhibitors/side effects (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/208701-gastritis-proton-pump-inhibitors-effects.html)

ripply 08-29-2014 03:32 AM

Gastritis and Proton pump inhibitors/side effects

I've had lots of problems taking other proton pump inhibitors, mainly severe diarrhoea, and and my doctor has now prescribed Nexium as he wants to see if I can tolerate them better. I was on omeprazole and then they swapped it to lanzoprazole but still had the same problem. I'm actually quite reluctant to even take one of these Nexium pills as I think they'll cause the same problem as they are all very similar drugs.

The diarrhoea wasn't mild. I was literally never off the loo for more than a few minutes, day and night, and ended up trying to get some sleep on a duvet on the bathroom floor. It was a total nightmare. This occurred very quickly after starting the pills, within 48 hours. Thankfully it cleared up very soon after stopping the ppi's. I just cannot bear the thought of going through all that again. I would prefer to stay on the ranitidine and maybe increase the dosage but my doctor just says the ppi's are better. They don't seem better for me!

Has anyone else had this problem with proton pump inhibitors? Is there any one type you could tolerate better? Or any other alternatives I could look into?

mrsD 08-29-2014 05:38 AM

The reason for this is bacterial.
PPIs lower acid dramatically and acid is necessary to
Kill germs in the foods we eat, and to start breaking up
Proteins into smaller peptides for the pancreatic enzymes
To digest. Protein that escapes acid feeds the organisms
In the bowel and is fermented causing gas and diarrhea.

This side effect happens with all acid reducing drugs.

It is a signal to you that your system is out of balance.
Get a good probiotic and or start using Kefir daily.
Lifeway brand is easy to find and has 12 different strains
In it to help fix damaged bowel flora.

Yowzerman 11-20-2014 12:21 AM

I'd taken Proton Pump Inhibitors (omeprazole) and they did help with the acid indigestion etal. However, I noticed more often than not that they seemed to cause heart palpitations. Strange but true. I stopped them and never had anymore. I've read that the palps came from irritation of the vagus nerve caused by the PPI and lack of acid digesting. As we likely know, the vagus nerve can affect organs from your head to your intestines when it gets irritated. I've since investigated natural 'helpers' for stomach related issues and of course, really worked on my diet as well.

Tom.

Kitt 11-20-2014 10:08 AM

Welcome Yowzerman. :Wave-Hello:

Yowzerman 11-20-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 1108837)
Welcome Yowzerman. :Wave-Hello:

Thankyou very much! I hope any small suggestion or experience sharing will help someone...anyone.

Wiix 08-12-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripply (Post 1092544)
I've had lots of problems taking other proton pump inhibitors, mainly severe diarrhoea, and and my doctor has now prescribed Nexium as he wants to see if I can tolerate them better. I was on omeprazole and then they swapped it to lanzoprazole but still had the same problem. I'm actually quite reluctant to even take one of these Nexium pills as I think they'll cause the same problem as they are all very similar drugs.

The diarrhoea wasn't mild. I was literally never off the loo for more than a few minutes, day and night, and ended up trying to get some sleep on a duvet on the bathroom floor. It was a total nightmare. This occurred very quickly after starting the pills, within 48 hours. Thankfully it cleared up very soon after stopping the ppi's. I just cannot bear the thought of going through all that again. I would prefer to stay on the ranitidine and maybe increase the dosage but my doctor just says the ppi's are better. They don't seem better for me!

Has anyone else had this problem with proton pump inhibitors? Is there any one type you could tolerate better? Or any other alternatives I could look into?

I have had great success with Zantac. Nothing gives me diarrhea. I am packed and stay packed unless I take a laxative once a week to go, period. I can go for a few days from that one laxative but then it slacks off.

I took a PPI once or twice and they did nothing for me.

caroline2 08-21-2015 06:57 PM

Here is an informative link on alternatives. I personally have been taking DGL probably 5 yrs or so primarily to protect my stomach due to ibuprofen use. I do fine on DGL.

http://www.vitalitymagazine.com/arti...-alternatives/

Wiix 08-21-2015 08:38 PM

My problem starts about 8 AM. It's a tightening around my middle. Feels like, well, it's hard to describe but it's uncomfortable and annoying. Maybe it happens when I take Zantac and shortly there after, for the next few days. I wish I could describe what it feels like, it's driving me nuts!! :o

Wiix 08-21-2015 11:48 PM

Maybe it's Vagus nerve problem. Look at this:

http://www.topix.com/forum/med/TOFJBIVHKC305EULQ

DejaVu 08-23-2015 07:47 PM

Hi Wiix,

Sorry you continue to have bothersome symptoms.
Do you monitor your blood pressure at home?

Any chance of seeing your doctor soon?

:hug:
DejaVu