NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Convergence Insufficiency and Vision Therapy (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/208713-convergence-insufficiency-vision-therapy.html)

Tmarie23 08-29-2014 08:22 AM

Convergence Insufficiency and Vision Therapy

I'm currently awaiting vision therapy for convergence insufficiency. Is this totally correctable with the therapy? Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel as if this is my main problem and im praying to god it can be cured. I feel like it drains so much of my energy and gives me so many face headaches.

Tmarie23 08-29-2014 08:25 AM

I'm approaching 8 months post concussion in case anyone was wondering.

Hockey 08-29-2014 08:35 AM

Are you already using prisms?

Tmarie23 08-29-2014 08:41 AM

No I wasn't given prisms. She gave me blue tinted magnified glasses to help me until I got into therapy. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to live like this the rest of my life. The only hope I really have is that this horrid issue will go away with therapy :/ I'm wondering how possible that actually is. I figured it would be getting better by using my eyes normally every day regardless but I literally haven't seen any improvement in this the entire length of my PCS journey.

Hockey 08-29-2014 08:46 AM

Well, it sounds like you are very early in the course of treatment for visual-spatial difficulty. Once things get going, there is good reason to think that you will improve.

Saraswati1013 08-29-2014 09:08 AM

What is this vision therapy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmarie23 (Post 1092587)
I'm currently awaiting vision therapy for convergence insufficiency. Is this totally correctable with the therapy? Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel as if this is my main problem and im praying to god it can be cured. I feel like it drains so much of my energy and gives me so many face headaches.

May I ask what this therapy entails? I'm still wandering about trying to figure out why I have all these issues, let alone what is there to fix any of them. Thank you for your thoughts. :winky:

Hockey 08-29-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saraswati1013 (Post 1092613)
May I ask what this therapy entails? I'm still wandering about trying to figure out why I have all these issues, let alone what is there to fix any of them. Thank you for your thoughts. :winky:

The category of visual-spatial impairment covers a very wide variety of symptoms/impairments, such as being inattention to areas of your visual field (like me), convergence issues, reading difficulties, word blindness, inability to recognize colours, etc... Helpful therapies/workarounds vary depending on the impairment(s).

BTW, the PM feature on your profile now appears to be enabled. Perhaps it kicks in after a certain number of posts.

underwater 08-29-2014 11:21 AM

would love to hear more on this myself from folks that have found therapy or prism glasses helpful or not. i have an appt w/ a neuro-opthamologist in a couple weeks.

todayistomorrow 08-29-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underwater (Post 1092639)
would love to hear more on this myself from folks that have found therapy or prism glasses helpful or not. i have an appt w/ a neuro-opthamologist in a couple weeks.

I started using blue tinted glasses 1 year after my car accident for my convergence. It made a drastic drastic difference in the quality of my life. It reduced my headaches and I was able to read/work on computer for hours without aggravating my symptoms. Before I could only do 15 min and I'd have to take a break.

My thoughts are you should try the glasses first(tinted first and then prisms if dr. Recommends it). My convergence was so bad they said prisms would be too much for my brain to handle. The glasses provided me immediate relief and so I don't see why one would want to do vision therapy which is very taxing, costly, and may not ever cure it. My convergence has gotten better but I still have it and need to wear my glasses.(almost 2 years).

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope this works for you!

underwater 08-30-2014 08:06 PM

question for today is tomorrow...and many thanks for the info. do the blue tinted glasses help with vision/eye fatigue in general, or just with computer screens.

i just ordered blue light filters for my phone and laptop, is that the same idea, and thus no need to double up?

or do they also help you out and about in the world?