NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Weight Loss & Healthy Living (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/)
-   -   Recipes: Low Calorie ~ Weight Watchers ~ Low Carb (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/2090-recipes-low-calorie-weight-watchers-low-carb.html)

bizi 09-29-2006 07:41 AM

Recipes: Low Calorie ~ Weight Watchers ~ Low Carb

Please mark your receipes as low calorie or weight watchers or low carb to help us all out!
thanks
bizi

bizi 10-01-2006 04:34 PM

hot 'n' sour soup

Oriental Hot 'n' Sour Soup
Submitted by: William Anatooskin
"Easy to make and to be enjoyed anytime."

Prep Time:10 MinutesCook Time:30 MinutesReady In:40 MinutesServings:Scaled to 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups chicken broth
2-1/2 slices fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
3 fresh green onions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup bamboo shoots
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a large cooking pot, add chicken broth, ginger root, and peppercorns, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Strain broth, discard ginger root and peppercorns. Return strained broth to pot. Add green onions, red pepper, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, rice wine vinegar, chili powder, and sesame oil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 55
Total Fat: 3.4g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 1010mg
Total Carbs: 4.1g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1g
Protein: 2.9g

bizi 10-01-2006 04:41 PM

coconut chicken soup

Tom Ka Gai (Coconut Chicken Soup)
Submitted by: Holly

Photo by: LynnInTokyo "The quintessential Thai soup."
Original recipe yield: 6 servings.
Prep Time:15 MinutesCook Time:20 MinutesReady In:35 Minutes
Servings:6

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken meat
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
2 cups water
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
4 tablespoons fish sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
Cut chicken into thin strips and saute in oil for to 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken turns white.
In a pot, bring coconut milk and water to a boil. Reduce heat. Add ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, cayenne powder and turmeric. Simmer until the chicken is done, 10 to 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with scallions and fresh cilantro and serve steaming hot.

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 433
Total Fat: 41.1g
Cholesterol: 38mg
Sodium: 787mg
Total Carbs: 5.6g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7g
Protein: 14.8g

Junie 10-01-2006 05:10 PM

I make my crust first with 1 stick softened butter, 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup golden flax meal, Blend of 1 cup xilitol/splenda ....mix well and press into your cheesecake pan, set aside
Then I blend 5 bricks full fat cream cheese (softened) with 3/4 cup xilitol and 1/2 cup of splenda ( I use contentrate) and a tsp vanilla, 5 eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup sour cream....blend well and pour into pan on unbaked crust and place in a water bath ( another pan with water coming halfway up cheesecake pan) and place into oven preheated to 300 for exactly 70 minutes, then turn oven off leaving cheesecake in oven until oven cools, then chill in fridge a few hours and eat
I sometimes slice fresh strawberries sweentened with same sugar alcohol mix to taste and thicken with thick n thin not starch and set aside for those who want topping
Enjoy!
My family that does not eat low carb love this!
I am not sure of all the nutritional info but know it is no more then 5 carbs for a good sized slice, serves 12!

Junie 10-01-2006 05:15 PM

Dil and I just come up with a killer cinnamon rolls, carbquilk mixed with carbcountdown milk and about a stilck of butter, mix into sticky dough, then roll out, mix 1/2 cup splenda with 1/2 cup Xilitol and 2 tbs cinnamon and sprinkle over dough, roll up and cup into small 2 oz rolls, then take a brick of cream cheese mix with vanilla, sugar mix, and heavy cream to taste and frost warm rolls with CreamCheese frosting, YUM!!
Enjoy!
Cream cheese frosting,
I never measure, just take a block of cream cheese and use flavered davincis (liquid flavored splenda) of choice and heavy cream, sugar alcohols, (if you blend 2 of them together you lose bitter aftertaste) to get right consistancy.

Junie 10-01-2006 05:16 PM

Peach cobbler
One cup each of carbquik, 1 cup carb countdown milk, and a cup of sugar blend of Xilitol/splenda mixed well.
Melt a stick of butter not marg in a 9x12 baking pan, with oven set to 350 and pour mixture into melted butter, then pour 2 -12 oz cans of carb select sliced peaches into pan and bake until browned and bubbly and serve warm with a little heavy cream
This is the easiest dessert so far, makes almost 4 1 cup servings!
Hope you enjoy!
Carb count less then 6 per serving.
You can buy carbquik at netrition.com, it is about 2 carbs per cup I thinK!

Jomar 10-01-2006 11:28 PM

Low-Carb Breakfast Scramble

Start your day with a filling breakfast. But don't trash your carb-count. This is diabetic friendly.

Serving Size: 2
Main Ingredient: Eggs
Categories: Breakfast, Brunch, Sandwiches, Simple - Easy, Quick, Saute, Low Fat, Vegetarian, Diabetic, Low Sugar

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 cup Egg Substitute
1/2 cup Low-fat cottage cheese
1 tablespoon Soy protein powder
~~ -- Non-stick spray -- ~~
2 strips Turkey bacon ; - cooked & crumbled
1 teaspoon Parsley ; - or cilantro, chopped
1 large Low Carb Tortilla
1/4 cup Salsa ; - Choose your heat level

-= Instructions =-
Place the cottage cheese in a tea strainer and allow it to drain excess liquid.
Cut a tortilla in half and place each half on a plate.
Blend the egg substitute with the soy protein then add in the cottage cheese.
Scramble this in a sprayed pan until it starts to set. Add in the crumbled bacon and stir in the parsley.

When the eggs have set place 1/2 of the mixture on each tortilla. Placing it slightly to one side of center makes the next step easier.

Put a spoonful of salsa on top of the eggs then roll the tortilla into a cone shape. Put the rest of the salsa on the top as a garnish. Sprinkle with more cilantro (or green onion) if you wish.

Serve immediately.

Each (196 gram) serving contains:
Cals: 190, FatCals: 68, Total fat 8g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 3g
Chol: 18mg, Na: 827, K: 417
Total Carbs: 14g, Fiber: 7g, Net Carbs: 7g

Easy recipe software. from bigoven
Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com

bizi 10-04-2006 11:47 PM

sounds yummy and only 3 carbs per serving.

Abby's Chicken Rollatini
Submitted by: Kris McFadden
"Much like Chicken Saltimbocca, this is chicken smothered in parmesan cheese and rolled with mozzarella and prosciutto and baked in white wine."
Original recipe yield: 4 servings.
Prep Time:15 MinutesCook Time:30 MinutesReady In:45 MinutesServings:4 (change)

INGREDIENTS:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
4 teaspoons butter
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
10 ounces sliced whole milk mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pinch black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Pound chicken breasts flat, and lay them on work surface. Sprinkle liberally with Parmesan cheese on both sides. Place a pinch of minced garlic and 1 teaspoon butter in the center of each breast. Cover each breast with a layer of prosciutto and mozzarella cheese. Reserve some of the prosciutto to place on top of the chicken. Roll up each chicken breast, and secure with toothpicks.
In a 9x13 inch baking dish, combine white wine and olive oil. Arrange chicken rolls in dish. Place a small piece of prosciutto on top of each roll, and sprinkle with pepper.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, an juices run clear.

bizi 10-18-2006 09:24 PM

Thai red chicken curry

Thai Red Chicken Curry
SUBMITTED BY: THEKNACKEREDCHEF

PHOTO BY: VIBHER "This is a quick and easy curry stir-fry made with chicken, zucchini, red bell pepper and carrot. Coconut milk and curry paste make an irresistible sauce. No need to go out to eat, as this dish is ready in about 20 minutes!"
Original recipe yield: 4 servings

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 10 Min
READY IN 20 Min
US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 cup sliced halved zucchini
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1 onion, quartered then halved
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces; cook and stir for about 3 minutes. Mix in the curry paste, zucchini, bell pepper, carrot and onion. Cook and stir for a few minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the coconut milk, then pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 1 minutes. Right before serving, stir in the cilantro.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 269

Total Fat: 15.7g
Cholesterol: 59mg
Sodium: 139mg
Total Carbs: 11g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Protein: 25.4g

About: Nutrition Info

Powered by: ESHA Nutrient Database

bizi 10-21-2006 01:42 PM

Spinach Lasagna...minus the noodles lol
(my receipe!)

1 pound ground beef
3 (14 oz)cans of sliced stewed tomatoes, drained
1 package of frozen chopped spinach...thaw and heat in microwave until hot
24 oz cottage cheese, i use small curds
2 cups of shredded Italian 4 cheeses
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons italian spices
2 tablespoons basil, dried but fresh would be better!
1 teaspoon garlic powder or more to taste
salt and pepper to taste.

Brown beef and add 2 cans of tomatoes and 1/2 carton of cottage cheese, add spices and simmer down until liquid is almost gone...will be a reddish color and the cottage cheese will liquidfy.
Put thawed/hot spinach in cassorale 9x13 dish, add the meat mixture,over the spinach and add the last can of tomatoes, parmesan cheese and mix in pan to distribute.
then spoon on the remaining cc and cover with shredded cheese.
don't mix again.
bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until bubbly and then broil for a few minutes until top browns a bit.

Enjoy!

bizi 10-29-2006 06:31 PM

sounds yummy! but I don't believe the carb or fiber count.

Hudson's Baked Tilapia with Dill Sauce
SUBMITTED BY: KHudson3

PHOTO BY: LynnInHK "Baked tilapia seasoned with Cajun and citrus served with a creamy sauce of fresh dill and lemon."

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 20 Min
READY IN 30 Min
US METRIC

INGREDIENTS
4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Season the tilapia fillets with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning on both sides. Arrange the seasoned fillets in a single layer in the baking dish. Place a layer of lemon slices over the fish fillets. I usually use about 2 slices on each piece so that it covers most of the surface of the fish.
Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
While the fish is baking, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, lemon juice and dill in a small bowl. Serve with tilapia.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 284

Total Fat: 18.6g
Cholesterol: 62mg
Sodium: 598mg
Total Carbs: 5.7g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
Protein: 24.6g

janster 11-26-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo55 (Post 17721)
Low-Carb Breakfast Scramble

Start your day with a filling breakfast. But don't trash your carb-count. This is diabetic friendly.

Serving Size: 2
Main Ingredient: Eggs
Categories: Breakfast, Brunch, Sandwiches, Simple - Easy, Quick, Saute, Low Fat, Vegetarian, Diabetic, Low Sugar

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 cup Egg Substitute
1/2 cup Low-fat cottage cheese
1 tablespoon Soy protein powder
~~ -- Non-stick spray -- ~~
2 strips Turkey bacon ; - cooked & crumbled
1 teaspoon Parsley ; - or cilantro, chopped
1 large Low Carb Tortilla
1/4 cup Salsa ; - Choose your heat level

-= Instructions =-
Place the cottage cheese in a tea strainer and allow it to drain excess liquid.
Cut a tortilla in half and place each half on a plate.
Blend the egg substitute with the soy protein then add in the cottage cheese.
Scramble this in a sprayed pan until it starts to set. Add in the crumbled bacon and stir in the parsley.

When the eggs have set place 1/2 of the mixture on each tortilla. Placing it slightly to one side of center makes the next step easier.

Put a spoonful of salsa on top of the eggs then roll the tortilla into a cone shape. Put the rest of the salsa on the top as a garnish. Sprinkle with more cilantro (or green onion) if you wish.

Serve immediately.

Each (196 gram) serving contains:
Cals: 190, FatCals: 68, Total fat 8g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 3g
Chol: 18mg, Na: 827, K: 417
Total Carbs: 14g, Fiber: 7g, Net Carbs: 7g

Easy recipe software. from bigoven
Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com

I hadta bump this thread up in hopes someone would have more recipes to share. I'm gonna make this one--thanks Jo! I also see a coupla others I'm gonna try.

I forgot about this one till I was messin' around, reading past threads. I don't remember if we have a low calorie thread or not, but I think we have a Weight Watcher recipe one. Do you guys think it would be easier to have a sticky titled RECIPES, then have the different threads under there? Just a suggestion. What do you think--good idea, bad idea--no idea?? :eek:
Hugs,
LS :)

bizi 11-26-2006 06:29 PM

I think that is a great idea to stickythe reciepe thread!
WE can just combine them...looking at the ingrediants list or the title we can get the gist of low carb vs calorie...
bizi

bizi 11-26-2006 06:42 PM

from billie, fancy lady

Weight Watcher's Recipe's or low Cal.~

Hello Friends,
This is the recipe I just love.

Brown Hash Casserole
(9-1 C. serv-3 points each)
1 C. of sliced green onions
1 C. shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
2 T, stick marg.(melted)
1/4 t.pepper
1 (32 oz.)pkg,.frozen Southern style Hash Browns, thawed
1 (16oz) carton fat free sour cream
1(10 3/4)can condensed reduced fat, reduced salt,Crean of Mushroom soup (undilted)
1/2 t.top paprika
Preheat oven to350 degree's
Combine first 7 ingredients in a lg. bowl & stir well,Spoon mixture unto 2 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.Sprinkle paprica evenly over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or ubtill bubbly.
THIS IS DELICOUS!
BC

another one from her:
Strawberries & Cream Pie

(Serves 8- 4 pts each)
1/4 C. spoonable sugar substitute
1/4 t.water
8 oz.tub light cream cheese, softened
2 C. fat free whipped topping, thawed
6 oz. ready made reduced fat graham cracker crust
3 C. halved strawberries

Combine sugar subs,water & cream cheese in lg.bowl. Stir with whisk til well blended. Fold in whipped topping.Spread mixture in the crust. Cover. Chill 1 hour til firm. Arrange berries evenly over cheese mixture just before serving.
Serve immediately.

(I think you could keep strawberries separately & fix one piece at a time.)

Apple Dumplings
6 sevings-3 points each
2 T brown sugar
1 1/2t.cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cornstarch
6 apples peeled & cored
6 square egg roll wrappers
In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, 1 T water. Add apples, toss to coat. Place apples in centerof each wrapper, and bring corners up to the top pressing, folding to seal edges.
Stand each dumpling in sprayed muffin cup and lightly spray tops with non sticking spray. Bake at 375 until golden-about 30 minutes.
Cool on rack 15 minutes. Serve warm.

pumpkin pudding.....sounds good!

HG's Ooey Gooey Cinnalicious Caramel Pumpkin Pudding

(1 dessert = 157 calories, 4g fat, 157mg sodium, 28g carbs, 1g fiber, 19g sugar, 3g protein - 3 WW points)

This recipe is a new HG fave. It's like a cross between a muffin and soft baked pudding...a perfect fall treat!

Ingredients:
1 box Betty Crocker Cinnamon Streusel Muffin Mix
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 cup water
1/4 cup Dreyer's/Edy's Grand Light Caramel Delight Ice Cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Combine cake mix, pumpkin and water, and mix ingredients together for a minute or two. It will be slightly lumpy. Spoon mixture into muffin pan. There will be enough batter for 20 "pudding" rounds. Top each with a spoonful of streudel topping from box, and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Let tin cool for 5-10 minutes before removing the "cakes." Serve warm with a small scoop (1/4 cup) of Caramel Delight Grand Light ice cream.

bizi 11-26-2006 06:53 PM

I have combined the receipes from those 2 threads and have asked to have it stickied and retitled: Receipes, low calorie, weight watchers or low carb...
hope this is ok with everyone.
bizi

bizi 12-05-2006 10:24 AM

fudge

Fudge...UNPUDGED!
Hungry Girl has done it again. Armed with nothing but pumpkin, some brownie mix and a VERY lowfat PB, she’s whipped up a version of chocolate peanut butter fudge that's so low in calories and fat, it'll make you cry tears of joy. Here's the secret recipe...

Ingredients:

2 cups canned pure pumpkin

1 box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies Mix (the 18.3-oz. Family Size box)

2 tbsp. Better ‘n Peanut Butter, room temperature

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine pumpkin with the brownie mix in a large bowl; stir until smooth (do not add anything else). Spray a small baking pan (6" X 6" or 8" X 4" work best - no larger!) with nonstick cooking spray and pour in the mixture. Spoon 2 tbsp. of Better ‘n Peanut Butter (room temperature) on top and use a knife to swirl peanut butter around. Cook for approximately 35 minutes. The batter will remain very thick and fudgy, and it should look undercooked. Remove from oven. Cover with aluminum foil and let cool in fridge for a couple of hours. Cut into 36 squares and serve.

Serving Size: 1 piece (approx. 1.3 oz.)

Calories: 63

Fat: 1g

Sodium: 56mg

Carbs: 13.5g

Fiber: 1g

Sugars: 9g

Protein: 1g

* 1 Point!

bizi 12-05-2006 04:59 PM

this sounds so yummy!

Cousin Cosmo's Greek Chicken
Submitted By: Orisha
Excellent for a quick weeknight dinner or a taste-pleasing entree for guests, these braised chicken breasts are stuffed with a mixture of feta, lemon juice, and oregano, and cooked with fresh spinach and ripe tomatoes.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 cube chicken bouillon, crumbled
2 cups loosely packed torn fresh spinach leaves
1 ripe tomato, chopped

DIRECTIONS
On large plate, combine 1 tablespoon flour, salt, and pepper. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine cheese, lemon juice, and oregano. Set aside.
With a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread cheese mixture on each chicken breast, leaving 1/2 inch border. Fold chicken breasts in half; secure each with toothpick. Coat chicken breasts with flour mixture.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until golden. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups water, chicken bouillon cube, and remaining flour; pour over chicken breasts in pan. Add spinach and tomato to skillet, and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Discard toothpicks before serving.

bizi 12-07-2006 11:30 AM

tomato cabbage soup in less than 10 minutes!

Plum Tomato Cabbage Soup

(1/5th recipe: 36 calories/ 0g fat/ 480mg sodium/ 7.5g carbs/ 1.5g fiber/ 5g sugars/ 1.5g protein = 0 Points!)

With our optional ingredients, you can customize this soup to satisfy your taste buds. Make it hot ‘n sweet (with SPLENDA & FRANK'S RedHot), garlicky (TABASCO Garlic and/or garlic salt), or sweet ‘n mild (SPLENDA). Any way you serve this soup, it’s zero Points per serving!

Ingredients:

6 plum tomatoes; chopped

4 cups fat-free vegetable broth

2 cups chopped green cabbage

*Optional ingredients: salt, pepper, SPLENDA, FRANK'S RedHot, TABASCO Pepper Sauce (Garlic or original), garlic salt

Directions:

In a large pot sprayed with nonstick spray, place chopped tomatoes along with any juice and seeds. Cook over medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and cabbage, and raise heat to high. Once soup reaches a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Allow soup to simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and any of the other optional ingredients. Enjoy! Makes 5 generous 1-cup servings.

Be creative… Adding an ounce of raisins or a package of (drained, rinsed, & cut) Tofu Shirataki noodles to the recipe only bumps it up to 1 Point! Mmmmmm…

1/5th recipe with raisins: 53 calories/ 0g fat/ 480mg sodium/ 12g carbs/ 2g fiber/ 8g sugars/ 1.75g protein = 1 Point

1/5th recipe with noodles: 44 calories/ 0.4g fat/ 485mg sodium/ 9g carbs/ 3g fiber/ 5g sugars/ 2g protein = 1 Point

bizi 02-15-2007 10:19 PM

Chicken Cordon Blue, low carb

Chicken Cordon Blue

4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, about 2 pounds
4 slices black forrest ham, about 4oz
4 slices baby swiss cheese, from deli about 4 oz
1 package /roll of ritz crackers coarsely crushed (or fine chopped pecans)
1 egg beaten with some milk
2 T dijon mustard
2/3 oz fresh basil in package container about a cup
4 pats of butter, salted, about 2 T

Butterfly chicken and flatten between plastic wrap and use side of hammer,
position the slick side of chicken inside (THE RUFF SIDE HOLDS ONTO THE CRACKERS BETTER SO IT SHOULD WIND UP ON THE OUTSIDE..SORRY IF THAT SEEMS TOO PICKY!) or use finely chopped pecans for the lower carb dieters... then coat with some dijon then a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. cover the cheese with basil and roll into an individual serving. Gently roll the chicken into the egg then cracker crumbs.,,,(or pecans).
Do this 4 times.
Place each chicken seam side down on a pam coated glass dish. Sprinkle remaining crackers over top insuring that all of the chicken is covered with crumbs.
Put one pat of butter on top of each chicken.

Bake 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
serves 4 large servings!

I served this with zuchinni and yellow squash sauted in butter and basil and tomatoes and garlic and some onions, peppers and celery( the trinity here in the south).
Husband raved about it!
bizi

bizi 02-18-2007 09:56 PM

from Yo Yo girl

the BEST muffin recipe EVER...

you need:
1 egg
1/4 C flax meal
1/4 tsp baking powder
sweeten to taste... I use splenda.. maybe 1/4 C??
2 tbsp butter already melted

mix up the first four ingredients then add in the butter. Microwave for 1 minute and VIOLA!! a perfect flax muffin.

you'll figure the sugar/sweetener out pretty quick once you make one. And the best part is that it has a just 1g net carb. Flax is awesome for you. Pleases every corner of the nutrition world i think.

bizi 02-24-2007 08:50 PM

Low Carb Pizza

Low Carb Pizza

From Laura Dolson,

Quote:

This is a variation of my flax meal focaccia bread, which is a dense "food for you" type of bread. It makes a pizza that is about 12 inches in diameter, although you can spread it thinner and larger if you want.
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 and 1/2 C flax seed meal, I used golden
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon oregano or (basil worked well)
  • Sweetener to equal about 1 T. of sugar (1 and 1/2 packet of splenda)
  • 3 Tablespoons of oil
  • 3 eggs
  • `1/2 C water
PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 425 F.
  1. Mix dry ingredients together.
  2. Add wet ingredients, and mix very well.
  3. Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.
  4. Spread on pan (I put it on a silicon mat or greased parchment paper). I used a deep dish stone with pam
  5. Bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, Browned on top then
  6. Cover with pizza sauce, more seasonings to taste
  7. 2 cups finely shredded italian cheese, (used 5 kind)
  8. add pepperoni or other precooked meat toppings and veggies(I used onions, peppers, sun dried tomatoes)
  9. cook at least 10 more minutes until they are done.
Nutritional Analysis: Whole crust has 7 grams of effective carbohydrate, plus 52 grams fiber, 47 grams protein, and 130 grams fat.

bizi 02-26-2007 07:27 PM

margarita!

It's National Margarita Day, people! Check out our AWESOME guilt-free recipes... http://www.hungry-girl.com/sectionim...pmargarita.jpgRockin' Razzy Rita

(Entire recipe: 105 calories, 0g fat, 5mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, 0.5g sugars, 0g protein = 2 Points)

Hand over your keys. It's time for a Rockin' Razzy Rita…

Ingredients:
*1.5 oz. tequila
1/2 tsp. Crystal Light powdered drink mix, Raspberry Ice
5 oz. water
1 oz. lime juice
Optional: lime slice for garnish and salt or no-calorie sweetener for rim of glass

Directions:
If desired, run some lime juice along the rim of the glass and dip into a dish of salt or sweetener. Combine all ingredients, mix well, and serve over ice. Or, for a frozen one, place all ingredients (dissolve Crystal Light in water first) in a blender with 1 cup crushed ice, and blend on high until well mixed. Optional: Garnish with a slice of lime. Serves 1!

Ellie 04-11-2007 07:02 PM

Hi, figured I'd share these since I've been learning new healthy recipes for my better half. He's Persian, so I've been learning some of his favorite Iranian dishes (with a twist).

The first one I pulled off was Persian Pomegranate Chicken (known as Khoresht Fesenjaan, but I kind of did a mix between this and Khoresht Anaar-Aveej). Also, no, I can't pronounce half of what I cook. :) To sum it up, nearly every dish is served with Basmati rice. As long as you're not cooking for someone who IS Persian, you can make it similarly to other rices (but with this rice, you wash it, soak it, wash it again, boil for 4-5 minutes, rinse, then put in pan with wet towel over lid and cook for 15-20mins on [very] low).

A Persian will notice if you didn't soak the rice in salt water and then cook it in salt water, he noticed and got cranky over it - but he's still learning he has to let go of his love for butter, cheese and salt. :D

Khoresht Fesenjaan

Stats:
Per Serving:
Calories 226
Calories from Fat 84
Total Fat 9.4g (sat 1.6g)
Cholesterol 94mg
Sodium 104mg
Carbohydrate 11.5g
Fiber 1.5g
Protein 23.9g

List:
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
* 1 tbsp cumin
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup walnuts, ground into a paste (mine is never a paste :()
* 1 cup pomegranate juice (can use fresh, POM brand or concentrate)

(Tip: You can remove all spices and use 1 1/2 tsp of cardamom instead and 2 tsps of sugar substitute - I have some smelly stuff in a green package his mom makes me us)

To Cook:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet (one you have a lid to go with). Brown chicken thighs and onions, they should cook ~5 minutes or so . Add spices and cook until onion has softened. Add walnut paste and pomegranate juice. Simmer for at least 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked and sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.

You can leave this cooking as long as you want, basically. The best cook time is 3 hours (great to start early then do housework or whatever).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a healthy version of "Dolmeh" which are Persian Stuffed Grape Leaves. I won't lie and say I had a hard time rolling these, my fine motor skills aren't the best - so this was kind of not that fun to do. They did turn out great though!

Dolmeh

Stats:
91 cal; 3g prot; 2.5g fat;
14 g carb; 0 chol; 94mg sod.

List:

* 2 tbsp Olive Oil
* 1 med Onion, finely chopped
* 5 cup Chopped Mushrooms
* 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
* 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
* 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
* 1/4 tsp Turmeric
* 1 cup Cooked Yellow Split Peas (cook first)
* 2 cup Cooked White Or Brown Rice (cook second, I suggest basmati rice with a pinch of saffron)
* 1 x 16-oz Jar Grape Leaves
* 1 cup Water

To Cook:
In a skillet, heat oil and saute onion and mushrooms until soft. Add parsley and spices. Transfer to a bowl. Mix in peas and rice. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 3-quart baking dish with a few grape leaves to keep stuffed leaves from sticking and burning. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of rice mixture (more or less depending on size of leaf) in the center of a grape leaf. Fold in sides, then roll leaf from stem to tip. Place in casserole. Repeat procedure with remaining grape leaves until rice mixture is used up. Pour water in bottom of dish (to prevent sticking and drying out). Bake for 25 minutes. Make sure not to cook longer than 25 minutes or they are like trying to eat wax paper (trust me on this).

bizi 05-26-2007 11:19 PM

low carb feta burgers..I am going to use turkey

Feta Chicken Burgers

Poultry Cookout Low Carb Dinner
Submitted by TANGY613

Low carb and great for cooking out!
20 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

1 lb ground chicken
6 oz crumbled feta
2 tbsp ground oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions

Preheat grill or broiler. (You can also use a George Foreman grill)
Mix all ingredients well and form into 4 individual patties.
Grill or broil patties until internal temp. of burgers reaches 165 degrees F, or about 7 to 8 min. per side.
Yields 4 servings (or 4 patties).

Number of Servings: 4

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user TANGY613.
Number of Servings: 4

bizi 05-28-2007 12:04 PM

sausage and chicken gumbo,,,not a low calorie dish...sorry

Chicken and sausage Gumbo
(this takes at least 2 hours to prepare,
makes alot to freeze for later and
can half the receipe of course!)

3 pounds chicken cut in small pieces..I use skinless boneless breasts but I think thighs would be better.
2 pounds smoked sausage cut .5 inch thick (some folks brown these first)
16 ounce jar of roux mix..I use richards in oil, (which is browned flour)
2 quarts of fresh trinity (I use guidry's)
or (3 cups chopped onions, 2/3 c green onion tops, small bell pepper,
1/2 c. celery, garlic and 1/3 c. chopped parsley...you can use the frozen Seasonings for stews use 3 packages then and add some garlic)

64 ounces of chicken broth
64 ounces of water
2 ounces of kitchen bouquet browning sauce (Optional)

season chicken with salt cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder overnight...I did this the day that I made the gumbo.
In a very large pot bring 1/2 gallon of water to boil and
add the jar of roux, boil for at least 20 minutes to ensure the roux is completely dissolved, I used an emulsifier, hand beater in the pan to ensure it was all broken up.
Add 1/2 gallon of chicken broth and boil another 15 minutes
add the chicken and veggies and boil over med. heat 30 minutes uncovered.
add sausage and boil another 15 minutes.

serve over rice, some have potato salad to eat with it as well.
(I use a rice cooker and it takes about 30 minutes to cook)

There are many variations of this, seafood has oysters and crab claws
okra, I have even heard of whole eggs!

enjoy!
bizi

Curious 12-29-2007 12:39 PM

ww type of vegie soup

3 cups nonfat beef broth or nonfat vegetable broth or nonfat chicken broth (beef is the best)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt & pepper
  1. Spray pot with non stick cooking spray saute onions carrots and garlic for 5 minutes.
  2. Add broth, Tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano and Salt & Pepper to taste.
  3. Simmer for a about 5-10 minutes until all vegetables are tender then add the zuccini and simmer for another 5 or so minutes.
  4. I have tried different variations. Leaving out green beans. Adding chopped green onions in addition to the yellow onion.
  5. All very good. You can customise it a bit.

bizi 06-12-2008 08:13 PM

miracle fat burning soup

6 tomatoes, about 3 pounds diced
2 cucumbers peeled, halved, seeded and diced
1 jar 6oz roasted red peppers drained
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped (don't know the kind or size)
1 Tbs lime zest
2 cups tomatoe juice or v8
1/2 c. lime juice2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 chopped fresh cilantro

In large bowl combine tomatoes, cucs, red peppers, jalapenos, garlic onion and lime zest. Divide and reserve 3 cups of mixture.
to remaining mixture add juice, lime juice, cumin, salt, cayenne. Puree in a food processor or blender, in batches until smooth. In a very large bowl combine puree and cilantro and reserved tomatoe mixture. refridgerate at least 8 hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend. serve cold.
makes about 12 cups. About 60 calories per cup.

Godzilla 08-08-2009 01:29 PM

Bravo Burritos

2 cups dry pinto beans,
2 cups chopped onion
2-3 tbsp shoyu
kidney beans, or black beans, soaked
2 cups chopped lettuce
3 tsp. chili powder
2 cups cooked medium grain brown rice
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
10 corn tortillas salsa
1/8 tsp. cayenne
Juice of one lime
2 tbsp. olive oil
several dashes kelp

Cook the beans and add the onion during the last 20 minutes, or sauté the onion separately in a the olive oil for added flavor. Drain the beans and save the cooking liquid. While the beans are still hot, mix in the seasonings to balance the flavors. Mash most of the beans with a masher, fork, or food processor. *** a little of the reserved cooking liquid to bring the beans to a thick, but spreadable consistency. Leave some beans whole in the mixture, for varied texture. (Save extra liquid for soups and sauces. It may be frozen.)
Heat the tortillas for 10 seconds each on a hot ungreased griddle or in a frying pan. Put a few spoons of beans in the lower center of each tortilla, along with a few spoons of rice. Add lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, 1/8 tsp. of lime juice, and salsa. Fold one side of the tortilla across the mixture, then the bottom, then the other side.

Nutrition Analysis per serving (1/10 recipe):

Diet Direction: Balancing (66% carb, 14% protein, 20% fat. To make the recipe cleansing cook the onions with the beans with no olive oil added (76% carb, 15% protein 9% fat). To make the recipe building add 1 cup of beans, 5 cups lightly fried tofu, and 2 sliced avocadoes (42% carb, 24% protein, 36% fat)

Ingredients:

Pinto Beans are popular in Mexico and southwestern United States and have been used for a long time in Latin America. They are high in fiber, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and potassium, selenium, and folate. They also contain a fair amount of B-complex vitamins. They are high in protein, but must by complemented with grains, dairy, nuts, or seeds to create a complete protein. Simply combining pinto beans and a corn tortilla is an easy way to achieve this.

Brown Rice has been used for at least 5000 years all over the world. It is popular in Asia. Along with being high in nutrition, it is a sustainable crop to grow. There are rice paddies that have been continuously farmed for over 2000 years! Brown rice is hypoallergenic, high in fiber, phosphorus, potassium, B vitamins, selenium, manganese and magnesium. It is purported to prevent cancer, help manage diabetes, decrease weight, and lower cholesterol.

bizi 08-29-2010 07:43 PM

low carb minus the bread and the rice, could put it on steamed califlower!

New Orleans BBQ shrimp

1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 t dried basil ( fresh would be better!)
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/3 t paprika- hungarian
1 t black pepper fresh ground
1/2 c butter, salted
4 large cloves of garlic minced
3 T worcestershire sauce
1 pound raw shrimp peeled
1/4 c dark beer (I used guiness, think I would use a cream stout next time)

Mix all dry ingredients to gether and set aside.
melt butter in large skillet over low med heat and add garlic and
cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes stiring to evenly cook the shrimp
mix in the spice mixture and cook another 2 minutes pour in the worcestershire sauce and beer and simmer another minute.

Immediately serve over 1/2 cup of rice....which is optional of course!
we used french bread to sop up the extra sauce!
serves 2-3 people

beamupscotty 02-05-2014 09:32 PM

Awesome Thanks so much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 27245)
Thai Red Chicken Curry
SUBMITTED BY: THEKNACKEREDCHEF

PHOTO BY: VIBHER "This is a quick and easy curry stir-fry made with chicken, zucchini, red bell pepper and carrot. Coconut milk and curry paste make an irresistible sauce. No need to go out to eat, as this dish is ready in about 20 minutes!"

PREP TIME 10 Min
COOK TIME 10 Min
READY IN 20 Min
US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 cup sliced halved zucchini
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1 onion, quartered then halved
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces; cook and stir for about 3 minutes. Mix in the curry paste, zucchini, bell pepper, carrot and onion. Cook and stir for a few minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the coconut milk, then pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 1 minutes. Right before serving, stir in the cilantro.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 269

Total Fat: 15.7g
Cholesterol: 59mg
Sodium: 139mg
Total Carbs: 11g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Protein: 25.4g

About: Nutrition Info