NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   25 percent of football players will suffer from cognitive issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/209422-25-percent-football-players-suffer-cognitive-issues.html)

anon1028 09-13-2014 03:21 PM

25 percent of football players will suffer from cognitive issues

http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-says-quart...6119--nfl.html

It's kind of crazy. I love football but knowing I'm watching potential brain injury patients kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

Trade chronic brain injury at 40-50 years of age for 20 years of living the high life? I don't know. probably not worth it.

I think there will be a significant decrease in the number of kids playing organized football in the future.

Mark in Idaho 09-13-2014 07:36 PM

Just my opinion, do we need more of these anxiety inducing posts when we already have plenty of issues that are much closer to home ? This article does not even accurately present the cause of this high risk.

Chemar 09-13-2014 08:01 PM

Members are welcome to post what they consider to be relevant posts here.
Not everyone may agree with the perspective, but that does not mean it is not of interest to others.
As long as it does not violate our guidelines(which this does not) it can be posted.

anon1028 09-13-2014 08:04 PM

Kevboy posted an article about football players wanting to get hit In the head instead of the legs. I didn't see such an angry response to that. And I thought it was relevant and his prerogative.
Unless one of us is a pro player that I don't know about...why would this inspire anxiety in any of us?

Mark in Idaho 09-13-2014 08:31 PM

The difference was kevbo did not use such a unavoidable heading. He just said the comments made his blood boil. If we did not want to click through and read the article or thread, we could avoid the stress. This thread heading will be unavoidable until it drops of the index page.

anon1028 09-13-2014 08:39 PM

Bro, where I come from if someone posts a heading saying "this really makes my blood boil"....I'm gonna definitely open that.

I'm a pretty anxious person and even I don't think I'm ANYWHERE near a football player who gets clocked five thousands times in a career by a BEAST coming at him full force. I'm pretty sure the people on this board can make that distinction.

But I hold you in high regard and will be even more careful in the future.

SarahSmile0205 09-13-2014 09:10 PM

I am surprised it is only 25%..

anon1028 09-13-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSmile0205 (Post 1096284)
I am surprised it is only 25%..

I bet I know the 25 percent. Receivers definitely! And Quarterbacks. oddly enough the brutal offensive and defensive linemen DO the hard hitting and probably fare best.

Mark in Idaho 09-13-2014 09:31 PM

When you don't have to live with cognitive issues 24/7, you are not likely to understand the impact. Depression is tough enough. Trying to get one's mind to think in a productive way is far worse.

I was talking with a man with knees that are beyond repair about the NFL players who would rather take a head hit than a knee hit. I commented that I would prefer to live as a double amputee than have to deal with the cognitive issues I experience.

Can you imagine talking at length to someone and not remembering that person when they approach you 10 or 15 minutes later ? I met most of my new neighbors today during a yard sale. When some of them walked by later, I had no clue who they were. My short term memory skills leave me feeling like a total idiot. I watched my father and father-in-law and two acquaintances succumb to dementia.

But then, this is just my experience and opinion. It's probably not worth much.

Lara 09-13-2014 09:57 PM

I'm speaking personally here as usual on the forums. I'm not a speaking Mod. ;)

For what it's worth, I just saw that the article was posted in the Health News Forum today as well, so it's not something that was just dragged up to scare people. It's topical.

I think if people want to read it they should be able to because it is actually about brain injuries and concussions. It's a bit like Sharon from NZ looking for help because it's difficult to find help where she lives, and I suggested she contact a Rugby organization if she couldn't find any help anywhere else. Sadly, there seems to be a lot of research going on (money spent) in the area of sport as has been discussed before. Some medical centres only deal with sport related concussions.

Anyway, I'm sorry if everyone is having a bad day, but I really think that everyone's experiences and opinions are important here.