NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Question about vulnerability of getting a second concussion (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/209704-question-vulnerability-getting-concussion.html)

Galaxy1012 09-18-2014 11:04 AM

Question about vulnerability of getting a second concussion

Maybe the severity symptoms will be less and the duration of symptoms decreases after the complete resolution of symptoms from the first concussion. But does the vulnerably of getting a second concussion decreases as the time passes? Will the person who has got his first concussion always be at a risk of getting another one with a lower impact force even after 10 or 20 years?

Can somebody post some study links if possible to support this? Thanks

Mark in Idaho 09-18-2014 11:28 AM

I have not seen any studies that go out that long. Studies do show signs of a previous concussion years later.

What is the reason behind your question ? Living in a state of anxiety about the risk of a future concussion is not healthy for the brain. I try to reduce risks by not engaging in risky activities but otherwise, I do not get concerned about future head impacts.

Galaxy1012 09-18-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1097428)
I have not seen any studies that go out that long. Studies do show signs of a previous concussion years later.

What is the reason behind your question ? Living in a state of anxiety about the risk of a future concussion is not healthy for the brain. I try to reduce risks by not engaging in risky activities but otherwise, I do not get concerned about future head impacts.

Mark, I do get very anxious when the thought of being more susceptible to another concussion crosses my mind. A lot of 'what ifs' pop up in my mind and I have become so scared that I don't go out at all. Anyways I am not able to go out and do normal stuff like hanging out with friends or travel. The thought of going over these nasty recovery phases again is really making me depressed. I am so sorry and embarrassed of this feeling but I have become very scared.

Mark in Idaho 09-18-2014 12:09 PM

We cannot live in a cave. I have determined that taking reasonable precautions (no contact sports, etc) is all I can do. I have the same risk of another impact staying home as I do getting out in the world. I can bang into a door jamb, slip in the shower, etc. So, I just use common sense and go on living my life.

As I have said many times before, living with anxiety is as damaging as getting another head impact. Maybe some counseling will help you learn to redirect your thoughts when you start to get anxious.

My best to you.