NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Shocks to face... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/209781-shocks.html)

baba222 09-19-2014 08:29 PM

Shocks to face...

Does this mean that you DONT have peripheral neuropathy?

I get these everyday or so.

Any ideas?

TIA

glenntaj 09-20-2014 06:42 AM

Neuropathy--

--can certainly affect the face, and involvement of the face is noticed in some autoimmune and toxic causes of neuropathy (i.e., celiac, heavy metal poisoning, ciguatera, Sjogren's). It's also been reported in neuropathies due to nutrient malabsorption.

Of course, there are conditions, like trigeminal neuralgia of the face, that are, technically, types of peripheral neuropathy but are better known by other names.

In truth, any nerve damage outside the brain or spinal cord is a peripheral neuropathy, but in many situations would not be described as such, or would be given a more specific name. For instance, nerve damage due to compression--spinal radiculopathy, carpal or tarsal tunnel--are neuropathies by other names.

mrsD 09-20-2014 07:04 AM

Facial symptoms may reflect some problems with calcium/magnesium balance. Tingling or pain around the mouth especially. Hyperventilation can cause electrolyte imbalances and thus paresthesias. Paresthesias are very similar to PN, but tend to come and go and move around more.

hopeful 09-21-2014 10:15 AM

I have neuropathy in the right side of my face. I get all the same symptoms I get everywhere else. I wouldn't say that means you don't have neuropathy.

I just had an eye doctors appt a few days ago. She took a Q tip to my eye. Apparently, my right eye has lost some sensation. I couldn't feel it that much. She said it's not too bad. It doesn't affect my vision at all so that's good.

baba222 09-25-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1097862)
Facial symptoms may reflect some problems with calcium/magnesium balance. Tingling or pain around the mouth especially. Hyperventilation can cause electrolyte imbalances and thus paresthesias. Paresthesias are very similar to PN, but tend to come and go and move around more.

Thank you. BOth are in the middle range.

Any ideas about what range it should be, as other ranges here in the US are considered low?

v5118lKftfk 09-29-2014 01:18 PM

Chemo PN gets shocks to face

When my chemo PN first started, I got tingling/jolts in my face and the nerve endings in my lips went slightly numb causing me to drool a little.

It also tingled in my chest and affected the nerve endings in my uerthra causing me to slightly wet my pants (yes, lovely).

I have come across a number of medical studies mentioning symptoms showing up as shocks/jolts/tingling in face, especially cheeks.

Yes ... very weird.

Natalie