NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Books, Movies, Music and TV Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/books-movies-music-and-tv-talk/)
-   -   TV: The Good Wife (https://www.neurotalk.org/books-movies-music-and-tv-talk/209846-wife.html)

Kitt 09-21-2014 03:30 PM

The Good Wife

Anyone watch The Good Wife :icon_question: It should be good. I like it and always have.

Mari 09-23-2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 1098121)
Anyone watch The Good Wife :icon_question: It should be good. I like it and always have.

I love the show because the writing and acting is good.
I dislike the scheduling in the fall with 60 mins going over.
Sometimes I skip it entirely and wait until spring to watch it in reruns so I do not get angry.

Last Sunday I only saw the first half and read a recap online.

Carey is dreamy -- whether he is in trouble or in charge. Either way.
And what the heck is going on with Finn?
Will Alicia become his boss?

M

mrsD 09-23-2014 05:41 AM

I find Alicia wearing. :rolleyes:

But I really enjoy Diane (Christine Baranski) and
Kalinda.

This last episode with Eli was hilarious too! The droll humor is what keeps me watching. But there are times I just turn it off. Having onDemand then allows me to return to it later.

I've always liked Chris Noth... And his performances on this show never disappoint. ;)

Debbie D 09-24-2014 10:32 AM

I have watched since the beginning...sadly, I feel that it has jumped the shark:(

mrsD 09-24-2014 11:18 AM

I just started watching last season. Already I find it difficult to
get thru a whole hour. So I view it onDemand, and watch about 1/2 in the morning and the rest around 4pm. It flows better for me that way.

I am getting really fed up with TV in general. I find much of it now boring.

The pilot for the new show Scorpion however, managed to keep my attention all the way thru. I really liked it. (but on IMDB the message board there was devastatingly cruel about it). As far as action, and entertainment, I liked it. I also liked Longmire and Almost Human, but both of those were cancelled!:rolleyes:

I just can't relate well to Alicia... I guess that is my problem.
But the writing and the other characters do make up for that at least for me. (I am getting tired of Mad Men too the same way).
One article I read said Longmire had higher ratings than MadMen, but A&E cancelled it anyway. I am rather boycotting A&E now.

Kitt 09-24-2014 01:02 PM

I have watched it from the beginning and I still like it. :)

Mari 09-28-2014 12:56 AM

Re Alicia

It is hard to "get" Alicia. (Hard to warm up to her).

The writers do not give us a reason to relate to her or to like her.
We watch the show to see how she handles the other lawyers and the chaos in her personal life.
The show seems more plot driven than character driven -- usually not my cup of tea.

And yet the show somehow works. Some weeks I watch the same episodes all the way through twice.
Diane and Kalinda are fabulous. I wish that those two had more screen time.

I like the show because the writing is very good -- dialogue, plotting, pacing, topics, . . . clothes !!!
The actors in the male parts are consistently good.
Overall, the show is worth watching when I can get the DVR and the CBS scheduling to cooperate.

M

Mari 10-07-2014 05:06 AM

Alan Cumming continues to be the best actor on the show.
Linda Lavin did a great job last week as well.
I always like Christ Noth -- maybe because we do not see him often.

Some weeks the plot on GW disappoints me --like a B/B- and I am discouraged enough to consider not watching it.

Then this week, the plot was back to an "A."
I think sometimes the "weak" episodes are setting us up for the strong episode that will come up the next week.

Mari

Kitt 10-07-2014 09:14 AM

I like the show very much and will continue to watch it. :)

Kitt 10-13-2014 09:28 AM

Very good last night.

We also watch reruns of Law and Order Criminal Intent with Chris Noth. After that show was done he started with The Good Wife when it originated - 2009 I believe.

Mari 11-06-2014 04:22 AM

Noth

He is a good actor. :) And too busy in other work I suppose to have more than a "recurring" role.
I think the series started in 2009 and I think the series started with him going to prison. I started watching it late -- maybe end of the first season.

I have a strange relationship with this show -- try to get a way from it --- come back to it -- get immediately frustrated by it -- get back in love with it.

I wish we saw more of Carey being interesting this season.
I guess that the writing can only feature three or four threads per show.
I am missing seeing Carey being decisive and handling stuff. :(

Mari

Grammie 2 3 11-06-2014 03:46 PM

I have always liked the show, but miss Will :(

Kitt 11-06-2014 04:52 PM

I agree. I miss him too. But I still like the show.

Mari 11-24-2014 03:15 AM

The Good Wife is on Hiatus until Sunday, Jan. 4., 2015.
:confused:

Kitt 11-24-2014 10:08 AM

I'll be watching when it returns. It's a holiday hiatus. The Mentalist will be filling in in the meantime.

Quite the show last night. :winky:

Mari 12-07-2014 05:30 AM

I might have to get back to Simon Baker in The Mentalist.

He is almost the cutest thing on TV and I followed him since the Guardian.
The first episode this season was low key and fun.
If the show runners can keep the violence down, I can watch these shows for a little while.

M

Kitt 12-07-2014 12:27 PM

This is the final season of The Mentalist. I have been watching since it is in the time slot where The Good Wife was and will be next January. I have watched The Mentalist before as well.

mrsD 12-07-2014 07:22 PM

Juliana Margulies:

Here is some trivia on her....

When she left ER she made a movie... The Mists of Avalon.

I saw that long ago...and never finished it...I just couldn't get into it.

So today, hubby brought me an older CD from his car... Maire Brennan (from Clannad and Enya's older sister). 1998 is the recording date. I've never heard it, and didn't know he had it.

This recording is called Perfect Time. The song on it with the same name is on YouTube. So I was there watching the video version and saw The Mists of Avalon along the right side like YouTube does. I looked up this movie on IMDB and there is no credit for this music on it. So at least there is this video from the movie borrowed to use with this music by Maire Brennan.

So I thought to put this up for the Juliana fans here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGhWGj0WzU

Lara 12-07-2014 09:15 PM

The book "The Mists of Avalon" was a great read.

mrsD 12-08-2014 03:04 AM

Yes, I read it too, years ago. I have it
In my books upNorth and almost reread it.
Maybe soon in the future.

You'd like Rutherford's Princes of Ireland too I
Bet , Lara. Druids, etc and the Christian
Conversion were interesting.

mrsD 12-08-2014 11:54 AM

The whole movie is available on YouTube...I just found it.

If I recall however, it is strong stuff. (not suitable for all viewers) So I won't put the link up.
It can be found at the end of the link I just put up with the movie video clip.

Mari 01-07-2015 04:53 AM

I watched it a few nights ago.

The show is better than anything else I get on t.v. so I guess I am sticking with it.

M

Debbie D 01-07-2015 10:12 AM

We've been binge watching GW since we have been too busy to keep up with our shows...I've fallen back in love with it...I love the brilliant acting on this show, especially Juliana. This past episode, you could see her get her spine back even through her posture. Great body english acting.

just a great cast and writing overall...but I miss Josh Charles. I could never tell if his Will was a good guy or bad guy...

Mari 05-13-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 1116849)
We've been binge watching GW since we have been too busy to keep up with our shows...I've fallen back in love with it...I love the brilliant acting on this show, especially Juliana. This past episode, you could see her get her spine back even through her posture. Great body english acting.

just a great cast and writing overall...but I miss Josh Charles. I could never tell if his Will was a good guy or bad guy...

Yes, I never good tell if Josh was a good guy or a bad guy either.
And I am not sure if he was good for Juliana.
I hope that over the summer break I can get "unstuck" from the show because it really is frustrating.

Mari

Kitt 05-13-2015 09:05 AM

I still like it though. :D

mrsD 05-13-2015 10:46 AM

Well... I still get bored with Alicia... now that all the good actors are gone...most of my interest in this show has waned.:rolleyes:

Mari 05-30-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1142111)
Well... I still get bored with Alicia... now that all the good actors are gone...most of my interest in this show has waned.:rolleyes:

Josh Charles -- gone
Archie Panjabi -- gone
Matthew Goode -- gone to film Downton Abbey

Lara 06-11-2015 04:32 PM

Off topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1111778)
You'd like Rutherford's Princes of Ireland too I
Bet , Lara. Druids, etc and the Christian
Conversion were interesting.

Off topic I'm sorry , but I remembered this post.

mrsD,
I just ordered Princes of Ireland a few days ago. I had trouble getting it from local libraries and I had a free shipping voucher for one of the book companies that I use here so I just bought it. Should arrive today or tomorrow. I hope the print is not too small. :cool: My paperback copy of Mists of Avalon was a tiny yet very thick book with very small print. I could manage that back then but I might need a magnifier if Princes print is too small. We'll see. :)

mrsD 06-11-2015 05:58 PM

I don't recall Princes being difficult. I found it a fascinating read.
I read with my glasses off... being nearsighted. UpNorth I used a little flashlight too. Didn't have much trouble. The book itself is not so heavy, as his others.

It was a bit more cutting edge than his others. Be sure to read his introduction....it explains alot.

It took me forever this winter to reread Mists of Avalon! Gosh, I forgot most of it. Marion Zimmer Bradley is rather convoluted in style too.

Right now I am reading Poul Anderson's Time travel books. The Time Patrol. Hubby had a paperback two story (novellas) one that really appealed to me. So I ordered the whole shebang on Ebay yesterday...used. So now I have a better understanding about Visigoths and Ostrogoths! ;)

mrsD 05-10-2016 09:49 AM

Series finale:

What a disappointment this finale was! I have to say I am not going to miss this show at all.

I often turn it off 1/2 way thru when it is so boring. Some episodes do deliver, but they are not often presented.

Goodbye, Alicia. Won't be missing you at all!

Mari 05-21-2016 01:23 AM

Good Wife Series Finale a big dissappointment

OHH!
I hated it!
So much time was spent on the stupid trial.
It was hard to see Alicia / Lucca mess with Diane's marriage.

The writers ended the last show with a slap because the series started with a slap in the first episode.
WHAT?!?

There is going to be a spin-off starting in 2017 with Diane and Lucca:
The Good Wife to get spin-off series, CBS confirms - BBC News
Quote:

The show will pick up a year after the events in The Good Wife's finale, which has won five Emmy awards during its run.

M

agate 03-09-2020 04:26 PM

I watched all of "The Good Wife" though Alicia was hard to take.

I saw it on DVDs of each season as they came along through the local library. Lately I've been watching "The Good Fight" which is a sort of sequel to it.

Diane is at the center of it, and I don't enjoy her very much either but there is a lot of focus on Maia and Lucca and others.