NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Tooth extraction not healing (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/209926-tooth-extraction-healing.html)

BassMasterGuy 09-23-2014 07:00 AM

Tooth extraction not healing

Years ago I broke my back, left, bottom molar. I had a crown put on to fix it. After a couple years, the crown fell off, so I had it replaced. Well, being that I grind my teeth at night, this keeps happening, even though I wear a soft night guard.

Recently, I was eating something at work and the filling that was on top of the broken tooth somehow came out so my tooth was just exposed. Obviously this didn't feel good, so I went to my boss and told him I was leaving to go to the dentist (I did not ask permission).

I had the dentist pull my tooth, although she did not recommend it. It's been 8 days now and the extraction site is still not healed. I do not smoke, I've been following the instructions on the aftercare paper. In fact, it seemed to be healing ok, now all of a sudden the clot seems to be like really shallow. I guess the only way to explain it is that the hole seems to have gotten deeper somehow. I'm scared this is going to turn into dry socket.

Bryanna 09-23-2014 08:39 AM

Hi BassMasterGuy,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

The hole where your tooth was will be very deep. Think about how long the roots were and that will give you an idea of how deep the hole is. It takes about a year for that hole to completely fill in with bone. During that time the hole slowly closes over with gum tissue as the bone is growing together underneath the closed gum.

Usually a dry socket is very painful. Most extractions require at least one follow up visit with the dentist at about the 7-10 post op day to make sure it is healing properly. With that said, if you suspect that the area is not healing properly, then it would be wise to have your dentist evaluate it.

Hope this information helps.
Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassMasterGuy (Post 1098514)
Years ago I broke my back, left, bottom molar. I had a crown put on to fix it. After a couple years, the crown fell off, so I had it replaced. Well, being that I grind my teeth at night, this keeps happening, even though I wear a soft night guard.

Recently, I was eating something at work and the filling that was on top of the broken tooth somehow came out so my tooth was just exposed. Obviously this didn't feel good, so I went to my boss and told him I was leaving to go to the dentist (I did not ask permission).

I had the dentist pull my tooth, although she did not recommend it. It's been 8 days now and the extraction site is still not healed. I do not smoke, I've been following the instructions on the aftercare paper. In fact, it seemed to be healing ok, now all of a sudden the clot seems to be like really shallow. I guess the only way to explain it is that the hole seems to have gotten deeper somehow. I'm scared this is going to turn into dry socket.

Kitt 09-23-2014 09:13 AM

Welcome BassMasterGuy. :Wave-Hello:

Darlene 09-24-2014 12:37 AM

Nice to meet you!!

BassMasterGuy,

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. There are a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Clink on the following forum where you find some assistance in your dental woork.

Dentistry & Dental Issues:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum89.html

Please keep us up to date on your condition. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

Darlene :hug:

Lara 09-24-2014 02:43 AM

Hi BassMasterGuy,

Welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups. :)