NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   What do you do to pass time/have fun? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/210001-pass-time-fun.html)

allday310 09-24-2014 04:56 PM

What do you do to pass time/have fun?

So i am not well enough to go to school now so i was wondering what do you all do? I cannot read more than 13 min at a time, cant watch tv, play video games or be on the computer except max 10 min because i am very light sensitive. My PT has me walking in increasing increments a day.

Im at 13 min 2X a day so im just trying to find something or things to do without over exerting myself. Keep my mind from imploding.

willgardner 09-24-2014 06:40 PM

I had months of not being able to do anything. I still cannot read much, still cannot watch tv. I can be on the computer for a bit longer now, which is a life saver. You just have to get past this stage. It was very rough for me, and I did not look forward to another day at all. However, it too will pass. Keep your head up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allday310 (Post 1098850)
So i am not well enough to go to school now so i was wondering what do you all do? I cannot read more than 13 min at a time, cant watch tv, play video games or be on the computer except max 10 min because i am very light sensitive. My PT has me walking in increasing increments a day.

Im at 13 min 2X a day so im just trying to find something or things to do without over exerting myself. Keep my mind from imploding.

ChristineA 09-24-2014 08:06 PM

I found listening to books and podcasts helped pass the time. Most libraries have large collections of books on CD. I subscribed to *edit* since it is much cheaper than I tunes books.

allday310 09-24-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willgardner (Post 1098866)
I had months of not being able to do anything. I still cannot read much, still cannot watch tv. I can be on the computer for a bit longer now, which is a life saver. You just have to get past this stage. It was very rough for me, and I did not look forward to another day at all. However, it too will pass. Keep your head up.

Thank you willgardner for that info. I will and thanks for the confidence boost. In time i guess

Eowyn 09-24-2014 08:16 PM

Put in a bird feeder or bird bath so you can sit and watch birds
Color - buy a big pack of crayons or colored pencils and Google "coloring pages for adults" or "free mandalas to color"
Play with play-doh or legos
Listen to a meditation or guided relaxation podcast
Do chair yoga
Give yourself a manicure or pedicure
Download a nature sounds app for your phone and listen to it with your eyes closed
Brush and floss your teeth
Take a bubble bath
Experiment with different hairstyles
Take a nap
Snuggle with your pet and/or child
Call friends on the phone
Buy exotic fruits and taste them
Bake cookies or some other very simple recipe
Mindfully peel and eat an orange
Mindfully make and drink a cup of herbal tea
Knit
Crochet
Read (or listen to an audiobook) if it doesn't stress your eyes or your brain

Jap4iP 09-25-2014 01:21 PM

When I first had my concussion I didn't do a lot either. Recently I found that learning magic tricks has helped me. It is fun, and it feels good when I perform them in front of my family. Another idea could be to listen to the radio. Make sure it isn't too loud though.

allday310 09-25-2014 01:49 PM

Thanks everyone for some creative ideas. I am still sound sensitive so too much noise is going to give me some problems. I will try some of these though. I cant breathe well or sleep well so anything involving those is difficult.

russiarulez 09-25-2014 02:06 PM

Yeah when it was really bad I used to sit by the window in my sunglasses with earplugs in and watch the outside world go by.

It really sucks, I feel for you. But it WILL get better. take it one day at a time.

PCSJourney42 09-25-2014 02:11 PM

Learn to crochet..... my neurologist suggested this as an activity. He said, your hands will only go as fast as your brain can tolerate.

As a matter of fact, it is a skill they teach to NFL football players post concussion.

I have been crocheting since I was a kid, however in the last year I have knocked out some pretty nice afghans, scarves and so forth.

Mark in Idaho 09-25-2014 02:16 PM

"Learn to crochet..... my neurologist suggested this as an activity. He said, your hands will only go as fast as your brain can tolerate.
As a matter of fact, it is a skill they teach to NFL football players post concussion."

Good to see a neuro has recommended this. I have been recommending this for the exact same reason for years. NFL players have been doing it for years as a way to relax from the high stress of a game.