NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Pre-Op questions to ask (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/210085-pre-op-questions.html)

JulieJem 09-26-2014 10:11 AM

Pre-Op questions to ask

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr Donahue at MGH on December 2nd. While I got a lot of my questions answered by the TOS coordinator, I will be talking with him soon. For those who went through with the surgery, what questions do you wish you asked before the surgery?

Kitt 09-26-2014 01:22 PM

Welcome JulieJem. :Wave-Hello:

Someone will be along to help.

nukenurse 09-26-2014 02:19 PM

Ask if they will be doing a sympathectomy ---- I didn't want that. Other questions: what do you do with the anterior and middle scalenes. Also, what area do you do the neurolysis. I have/had median nerve problems that seem to originate on the side of my neck --- those might not have been taken care of as well as the ulnar nerve probs that seem to originate near the front/base of my neck --- near the attachment of the SCM muscle.

16rhonda 09-27-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieJem (Post 1099276)
I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr Donahue at MGH on December 2nd. While I got a lot of my questions answered by the TOS coordinator, I will be talking with him soon. For those who went through with the surgery, what questions do you wish you asked before the surgery?

Hi and welcome
Excellent? Wish I found this forum bf my 1st surgery.
I had wished I had asked Dr Donahue whether or not he had thought Pec Minor Syndrome might also be contributing to my sx. I didn't bother thinking he would of said something if he did. I am 1 yr postop tos on Rt side and due to having worse sx in the shoulder, chest, armpit, arm and hand, he thinks I have Pec Minor S and is suggesting a tenonomy surgery. I also wished I asked what new sx can tos surgery cause? I woke up from surgery w new numbness in several areas which is now permanent. Dr told me after surgery the numbness can lasts up to 6 mos. At this point, he said its very rare for the numbness caused from surgery to lasts past 6 mos., and that I have an extremely sensitive nervous system.
I guess I'm a rare person or he just has not had a pt w this problem bf.

Good Luck!

Eight 09-28-2014 09:45 PM

Hi! Dr. Donahue did my surgery, and I am doing really well. I too had new numbness after surgery, but at one month post surgery, my numbness in the arm and fingers is almost all gone. I'm doing great, i have more energy than before, and can't wait to get the other side done.

I wrote down a list of questions and he happily answered each and every one of them.

Make sure to tell him if you want to keep your rib!

Anything special he should know about you, you should write down so you don't forget. For example, I turn crazy and get easily nauseous from opioid pain medication, this is the kind of thing you would want to share.

curby 10-07-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieJem (Post 1099276)

Can I have my rib (if you want it)

cppoly 10-08-2014 06:07 PM

Great thread. I will most likely be having surgery with Dr. Donahue in a few months and would like to know the questions to ask, especially from the people who had surgery.

Eight 10-10-2014 06:28 AM

I hear that the a Beacon House is a great place to stay, but reservations should be made early.

16rhonda 10-11-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eight (Post 1102284)
I hear that the a Beacon House is a great place to stay, but reservations should be made early.

Did u really keep your own rib?

16rhonda 10-11-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cppoly (Post 1101973)
Great thread. I will most likely be having surgery with Dr. Donahue in a few months and would like to know the questions to ask, especially from the people who had surgery.

What kind of surgery are u having? Maybe u and Julie will be on same day.

Best of Luck to u !