NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   October....new thread! (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/210309-october-thread.html)

bizi 10-01-2014 12:06 AM

October....new thread!

Chicken salad(chicken, walnuts, apples and raisins) salad(kale, carrots, tomatoes) for dinner.
I asked a trainer about walking on the tred mill instead of on the floor. At first he said I should walk on the tract. (14 laps is one mile) I balked at that. He said to start walking on an incline to improve my training no more than 5% and to go up to 8 miles. But not every session. He said training 3 times a week was good, to vary the lengths each time. I watch tv while walking.
I walked 7 miles on the tred mill in 2 hours. the first 3.5 miles were done on a 3% incline. I had to go back to 0% incline if I was going to make it. Amazing how much more effort 3% incline takes. I don't hold on and sometimes swing my arms elevated in front of me as apposed to my sides. I tried to run for a minute and that started to hurt my neck so I stopped. I don't think that I am cut out to be a runner.
When my time was up I was relieved because my feet and hips were starting to bother me.
I think I did well over all.
Proud of myself.
bizi

Lara 10-01-2014 12:08 AM

October came fast, bizi. :hug:

One minute it's September and before you know it, it's October. ;)

Chicken salad sounds good right now.

Brokenfriend 10-01-2014 12:12 AM

Hey Bizi. We posted 3 minutes apart about October. LOL BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 10-01-2014 09:26 AM

I see that steve hope your day goes well for you!
144.5 this morning.
ate the left over chicken salad Lara for breakfast, yum!
bizi

Dmom3005 10-01-2014 09:43 AM

Hi everyone

Bizi, I hope you can at least do a couple laps on the walking area. To
kind of get used to what it will be.
But I'm impressed with your incline and 0% too.

I had a great night last night. Took Will to speech and then Derrick and
his friend and Will bowling. It was so neat watching them work to help
him roll the ball. We used bumpers so all he needed to do was be fast
enough.

We had pizza and pop there. Then I came home and had lasagna.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

bizi 10-01-2014 09:36 PM

left over chicken salad for breakfast.
quinoa, spinach and onion and potato dish with fresh fruit for lunch.
teriyaki ginger Salmon (with many bones yuck) and half a butternut squash yum! for dinner.
I had several glasses of cider with dinner a friend gave to me today, will have the rest of that tonight.
bizi

DiMarie 10-02-2014 12:49 PM

Oh lunch sounds so too. I made an egg on toast just to get some protein.
I hate grocery shopping, but need to get it done soon. Tonight I'm cooking up a pot of split pea and ham.

Mari 10-02-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiMarie (Post 1100718)
Oh lunch sounds so too. I made an egg on toast just to get some protein.
I hate grocery shopping, but need to get it done soon. Tonight I'm cooking up a pot of split pea and ham.

That is delicious, Di! :):):)

I want to come over to join you if it is o.k.

Mari

bizi 10-02-2014 07:44 PM

I cooked a special meal tonight.
It is a favorite dish of mine from bone fish grill "Lillys chicken"
sauteed spinach as a bed in butter
then chicken then goat cheese then artichoke hearts then sauteed basil topped with a lemon butter sauce.
Jeff really liked it and so did I!
headed to the gym.
bizi

Mari 10-02-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1100770)
I cooked a special meal tonight.
It is a favorite dish of mine from bone fish grill "Lillys chicken"
sauteed spinach as a bed in butter
then chicken then artichoke hearts then sauteed basil topped with a lemon butter sauce.
Jeff really liked it and so did I!
headed to the gym.
bizi

Bizi,

That is a nice way to prepare a meal for spinach, chicken, and artichoke hearts. :):):)

(I wonder if one could leave out the basil -- for some reason I do not like it.)

M

bizi 10-02-2014 11:42 PM

I forgot!!!! goat cheese! how could I forget that?
you could substitute feta if you prefer...and I think this would be fine with out the basil.
walked 7 miles in 2 hours on tred mill. 3.5 miles of which I walked at a 3% incline. I was surprised that I finished I felt so tired.
glad that is done! will probably go again on sunday.
my thighs are sore. and so are the balls of my feet!
bizi

bizi 10-03-2014 11:35 AM

95 year old has me paint her toenails for the first time ever.
Love my job!
bizi

Dmom3005 10-03-2014 01:04 PM

I wish you lived up here. My mother would love your services.

Mari 10-03-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1100828)
I forgot!!!! goat cheese! how could I forget that?
you could substitute feta if you prefer...and I think this would be fine with out the basil.
walked 7 miles in 2 hours on tred mill. 3.5 miles of which I walked at a 3% incline. I was surprised that I finished I felt so tired.
glad that is done! will probably go again on sunday.
my thighs are sore. and so are the balls of my feet!
bizi

Bizi,

Be careful. If the balls of your feet are hurting -- other things are wrong too -- knees, back. . .

You do not need to do the incline.
I researched this.
There is no benefit in it.
Mari

Mari 10-03-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1100919)
95 year old has me paint her toenails for the first time ever.
Love my job!
bizi

Bizi,

I love all cheese!!! That is a win.

Another win is the 90 year old woman getting her pedicure.

You are great.

M

bizi 10-04-2014 12:42 AM

thanks mari!
my feet are fine now I think they were just starting to feel like I was getting a blister on the balls of my feet, I have done that before and that is not any fun for sure.
I hope that you are seeing some progress with your feet.
bizi

Mari 10-04-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1101073)
thanks mari!
my feet are fine now I think they were just starting to feel like I was getting a blister on the balls of my feet, I have done that before and that is not any fun for sure.
I hope that you are seeing some progress with your feet.
bizi

Hi, Bizi,

Yes. I am glad that the feet are fine now.

My feet have started to get better since I started wearing shoes in the house.

Mari

bizi 10-04-2014 10:12 AM

great mari!
bizi hope you have a great weekend!
bizi

bizi 10-04-2014 08:09 PM

WE ate lunch early because I had to work today. Had chicken and sausage gumbo and a bowl of cabbage that I make slaw with a remulaude sauce. Later had an apple.
I saw 2 sweet demented clients new to me. Both of them really needed their toe nails trimmed and she let me paint her toenails at the age of 92. Love it!

I did it! I was able to walk OUT SIDE on a track at the gym 7 miles
in 2 hours!!!! It was not that hard...It was a beautiful day perfect weather 70's and low humidity. I did not even sweat so I know that I could do more. When I was using the incline on the tred mill I broke out in sweat so I was getting a better work out. The track was 5 laps to a mile which was doable keeping track. But it was boring. Now that I know that I can do it I will go back to the tred mill where I can at least watch tv instead of having to keep track of my laps.
Even though I drank too much last night I was sure to drink enough fluids (I made a power smoothie) I did not have a hang over this morning which was great!
Chicken salad for dinner! yum
I should sleep well tonight!
bizi

waves 10-04-2014 09:11 PM

Bizi, I was thinking about you today.

I walked and walked in the city for about 3 hours straight today, with various short trips on the subway scattered in there. I don't know how the New York subway is, or if you figure on using it much. My experience in the subway systems of major European cities is that one winds up doing lots of stairs. Also, many places have and elevators escalators from the train level to the turnstyle level, but not from the turnstyle level to above ground. And as far as the escalators... well, they can be overcrowded, or out of order too, or very long and you want to walk up the escalator, to hurry things along. Sometimes changing between lines also involves stairs.

I did a lot of stairs today, amidst all the walking, because of the subway. I also walked a lot more than usual and thought of you. My thought was that you might want to include a little stair stepping in your routine. With the amount of walking you are doing, you will be fine even if you don't. But I do notice I can walk a lot, but the effort that goes into stairs is a little different (harder, and gets the legs a lot quicker).

Maybe the New Yorkers can chime in as to whether what I said is applicable there? Maybe New York is set up for disabled access everywhere, with elevators between all levels. This I don't know. Just things to consider.

waves

bizi 10-04-2014 10:03 PM

Thanks waves, I have done the stair masters machine in the past. about 3-4 years ago I was using that machine 3xweek and really getting a good workout. that was the time when I became obsessed with losing weight and got down to 122 pounds and then fell and broke my collar bone and the nasty rosacea out break thus stopping the obsession dead in its tract and then the weight gain...sigh.
I think getting back on the stair masters is an excellent idea that I forgot about.
Thanks waves!
bizi

bizi 10-05-2014 09:58 PM

what a beatiful day. read the newspaper on my swing and sat outdoors for 3 hours!
takes me along time to read the paper.
then hubby came home and we walked around the neighborhood. and talked to one of our neighbors about halloween coming up. He decorates his front lawn fabulously. so we admired the decorations that he had up already. they were great. We noticed that he is on a bird migration path so we watched as spoon bills flew over head as well as egrets and ibis. it was great. What a great weekend it has been! WE took the home made casket out of the shed and put it against the front porch! lol
we love this time of year!
bizi

waves 10-06-2014 05:23 AM

Enjoy, Bizi!

I will be there for Halloween, this year. My friends don't do the whole dress up and decorate (maybe a little of the decorate) but we will have trick-or-treaters. That will be cool.

Hey question, what are the rules for the candy nowadays? Does it have to be shrinkwrapped? What about sweets that are wrapped you know just with folded foil, or other, non-sealed wrapping? because I was thinking of bringing some from here... this is one of my perplexities.

Mari 10-06-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waves (Post 1101407)
Enjoy, Bizi!

I will be there for Halloween, this year. My friends don't do the whole dress up and decorate (maybe a little of the decorate) but we will have trick-or-treaters. That will be cool.

Hey question, what are the rules for the candy nowadays? Does it have to be shrinkwrapped? What about sweets that are wrapped you know just with folded foil, or other, non-sealed wrapping? because I was thinking of bringing some from here... this is one of my perplexities.

It depends on the neighborhood.
Kids do not trick or treat in their own neighborhood so much.
Often there might be a designated night at the mall, . . . a party at a church, someone's house. (We have not seen a trick or treater in 5 years --- since we moved to this neighborhood.)

Mari

Dmom3005 10-06-2014 11:19 AM

We still have one night of trick or treating. This year its on Halloween
itself. Derrick is having a booth set up for it.

He does a lot of decorating, and waits for them on the lawn.

waves 10-06-2014 05:25 PM

Hmmm... my friends get trick-or-treaters. I asked what they did for Halloween -- said not much, just hand out candy to trick-or-treaters.

I guess I will ask them. Or just avoid the entire problem and "help" buy candies there. Or let them take care of it altogether and enjoy the handing out part.

Come to think of it kids of that age will not care about weird European stuff. In fact they might not even like it. Or they might get rid of it because they cannot identify it.

Dmom3005 10-07-2014 11:00 AM

Waves

Just the thought of helping hand out is nice.

Derrick is mainly giving little toy type things he
bought that are mainly for halloween.

Except we found a few years ago we need something
more for the little ones. Under 3 for sure.

bizi 10-07-2014 12:20 PM

they make those spider rings out of plastic that sell 100 for a few bucks at the spirit stores.
bizi

Dmom3005 10-07-2014 03:54 PM

Yep I think he got some of those.

bizi 10-07-2014 09:39 PM

Lunch was a chicken schwarma day with yogurt sauce, and hummus and tabouli and lentil rice and a piece of persimmon bread. BIG lunch.
Had sausage and peppers this evening for dinner and some almonds and a persimmon piece of fruit= yum! Kind of a light dinner.
Went to a concert tonight, singers and strings, baroque music. wonderful!
bizi

Mari 10-07-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1101821)
Lunch was a chicken schwarma day with yogurt sauce, and hummus and tabouli and lentil rice and a piece of persimmon bread. BIG lunch.
Had sausage and peppers this evening for dinner and some almonds and a persimmon piece of fruit= yum! Kind of a light dinner.
Went to a concert tonight, singers and strings, baroque music. wonderful!
bizi

Bizi, :hug::hug::hug:

Nice food day.

And I am glad you enjoyed the music.

Mari

Dmom3005 10-08-2014 09:14 AM

Bizi

Sometimes I wish I could do the same kinds of foods.

bizi 10-08-2014 12:33 PM

I volunteer for hospice on occasion when some one needs a pedicure they call me, I call it foot care when it is for a man!
I met with a man this morning, very nice but has aphasia so he doesn't speak. Which is very frustrating for his wife his caregiver.
Had a long lunch with some friends that I hang out with every day now at the health food cafe. They serve plate lunches different ones every day.
Today I had lamb for the first time. It was fatty but tasty.
also had kale with onions and peppers and fresh boiled beets and a piece of persimmon bread which is more like cake. yum!
I have 2 more clients to see this afternoon, was going to see a late client but that canceled on me. jeff works late on wednesdays.
For dinner WE are going to have chicken in spinach and lentil soup. yummy!
not my hubby's favorite but he likes it better if we put a bit of lemon in it.
Work is a bit slow for me right now and I don't like that. I need new clients.
bizi

Mari 10-09-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1101908)
I
For dinner WE are going to have chicken in spinach and lentil soup. yummy!
not my hubby's favorite but he likes it better if we put a bit of lemon in it.
Work is a bit slow for me right now and I don't like that. I need new clients.
bizi

Nice dinner, Bizi. :)

Lamb is good fat.
We can see it because it becomes solid at a lower temperature than beef fat does.

Quote:

Stearic acid,the main saturated fat found in beef, lamb and other meats, is easily converted by the body into oleic acid, the much-hyped monounsaturated oil found in "heart healthy" olive oil.

Brokenfriend 10-09-2014 02:36 AM

Hey Bizi. I wish that I eat as well as you do. I've been eating salads,and sandwiches recently. I have also eaten cookies after my meals. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 10-09-2014 06:46 PM

tonight we had talapia and lentil rice. then I had a smoothie made with kale and persimons. also drank 2 beers and had some chocolate and 1 bourbon ball. It was delicious!
bizi

bizi 10-10-2014 09:11 AM

Had 2 more glasses of red wine at the concert with chic corea, he was great!
We got to meet him after the concert. I was drunk by then so I don't remember that much.
sigh
bizi

Mari 10-10-2014 10:56 PM

Bizi,

That is great that you met Chick Corea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mac7lrZciss
Chick Corea & The Boston Pops - Spain (Full Orchestra Version)

Mari

bizi 10-12-2014 11:24 PM

Great food day.
2 cups of coffee with half and half.
3 scrambled eggs with spinach and black bean salsa and a side of brocolli and a cup of fresh fruit for lunch(bananas, pinapple, melon, grapes. yum!
then for dinner 4oz of grass fed beef with goat cheese and an avocado, tablespoon of hummus.
one strong beer tonight about an hour ago.
walked on the tred mill this afternoon 7 miles 2 hours 0%incline.
Listened to my music on my iphone but it kept falling off, my hand would get caught up in the cord and pull the phone out of the holder.
sigh
I bought a pair of yoga pants on friday night, have worn them all day today I think that I like them they are tight fitting from my ankle to my butt!
nike makes them, they were the best that you can buy, my friend told me to get them. we have the 8k 5 mile walk in 2 weeks. sept 25th I want to be able to keep up with her. hope we have nice weather. then another one a bigger one on nov 8th, that is a 10 K 6.4 miles
bizi

bizi 10-15-2014 09:04 AM

Walked 9 miles on the tred mill last night 2hours and 35 minutes.
hurrying to get a sower this morning.
drinking has not been good:(
bizi