NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   posterior cervical decompression (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/210422-posterior-cervical-decompression.html)

aznascargirl 10-03-2014 06:51 AM

posterior cervical decompression

I was just told that a posterior decompression with fusion surgery is what I need to have, my surgeon couldn't emphasize enough what horrific pain comes with this type of surgery, I am not sure if I want to have it now, anyone that has had it please let me know what it is really like. I have had a anterior diskectomy at my c5-c6 with fusion, had some problems after surgery but nothing to serious. thank you:)

Dubious 10-03-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznascargirl (Post 1100869)
I was just told that a posterior decompression with fusion surgery is what I need to have, my surgeon couldn't emphasize enough what horrific pain comes with this type of surgery, I am not sure if I want to have it now, anyone that has had it please let me know what it is really like. I have had a anterior diskectomy at my c5-c6 with fusion, had some problems after surgery but nothing to serious. thank you:)

2nd opinion?

moonstar54 10-04-2014 11:48 AM

I agree with Dubious

Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? If not, please get one.

From what you said, your doctor seems not to have a very good bed side manor! All major surgeries have pain! You know that if you've already had a fusion. Don't let him scare you like that.

I had a 2 level fusion C4-5 and C5-6 in Dec 2011. Now I need a fusion on the level above C3-4 because it's now pressing on my spinal cord. Which could be dangerous if I fall or hurt myself on my neck. And of coarse there will be pain!

Nothing is a 100% guarantee that it will relieve all your pain but, I don't want to take the chance of becoming paralyzed and with any luck, my pain will decrease. Plus I have permanent nerve damage that happened before my 1st ACDF in my arms, wrists, hands and fingers. Sometimes I can't barely write!

You'll be ok and everyone here can support you thru this.

We are here for you! Please get a 2nd opinion.

jeffntate 10-07-2014 01:23 AM

Quote:

I had this surgery. The post op pain is manageable. It doesn't have to be a killer. I had been on pain pills for 2 years and I had C4-C6 laminectomy with fusion/instrumentation for decompression and it wasn't as bad as I expected. The pain I had before surgery was much worse.

Strhuntrss 10-11-2014 10:30 AM

2nd opinion

Quote:

Aznascargirl,

I too am in need of pdfs (posterior decompression with fusion surgery) of my neck and now I have crowding of nerves and several bulging discs that are pressing on my spinal cord in the lumbar region as well as they are in the cervical.

Thought I was just getting old, and having spine arthritis at 54 for the past several years thought I had to live with the excrutiating pain.

I am sorry to hear that you are in need of another surgery.

I am blessed to be living in Pennsylvania and am close to a world renown minimally invasive surgeon by the name of Dr Joseph Maroon.

Please check out his website www.josephmaroon.com

I am much more comfortable now in knowing there is minimally invasive surgeries available. By watching his videos of the surgeries, I am not apprehensive anymore.

Please check into maybe someone in your area that can perform the same.

According to his way of surgery seems like less pain and less time in rehab/recovery.

I pray that you find the relief you need, that your surgery is a success and that your life will be pain free.

God Bless you and here is a hug for you :hug: