NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Healing dry socket (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/210710-healing-dry-socket.html)

Miniminion 10-09-2014 03:04 PM

Healing dry socket

I had an upper molar extracted (after abcess and fractured) 2 weeks ago which developed into an infected:confused: dry socket which I had packed and a further course of antibiotics for.

Please could anyone advise what a healing dry socket should look like? At present it looks like there is a raised red lump where the tooth was pulled, it does not look like gum 😒 is that normal?

I am also still having pain and numbness but believe this could take a while to resolve.

Thanks in advance x

Kitt 10-09-2014 04:36 PM

Welcome Miniminion. :Wave-Hello:

Bryanna 10-09-2014 06:30 PM

Hi Miniminion,

The dry socket is suppose to be treated more than once. The impregnated packing material that is put in the socket is not meant to stay in there for more than a day or two without being changed. So if you have not gone back to the oral surgeon, you need to.

The red lump inside the socket could be a cyst or a large area of granulomous tissue which could prevent the site from healing. It needs to be evaluated by the surgeon.

Let us know how you're doing...
Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miniminion (Post 1102163)
I had an upper molar extracted (after abcess and fractured) 2 weeks ago which developed into an infected:confused: dry socket which I had packed and a further course of antibiotics for.

Please could anyone advise what a healing dry socket should look like? At present it looks like there is a raised red lump where the tooth was pulled, it does not look like gum 😒 is that normal?

I am also still having pain and numbness but believe this could take a while to resolve.

Thanks in advance x

Miniminion 10-10-2014 01:34 AM

Thankyou bryanna, I will try and get to see my dentist again.
When they packed it they didn't say to come back, just that it could take weeks to heal. But like I say it just dosnt look/feel right so will get it checked.
Mini minion x

Bryanna 10-10-2014 09:06 AM

Hi Mini minion,

Unfortunately some dentists do not treat a dry socket properly as they figure the site will eventually heal on it's own. The problem with making that assumption is that the site may never heal completely which can lead to further infection in the bone often referred to as a cavitation. Properly treating the socket can prevent that from occurring.

It is best to get the socket evaluated asap.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miniminion (Post 1102273)
Thankyou bryanna, I will try and get to see my dentist again.
When they packed it they didn't say to come back, just that it could take weeks to heal. But like I say it just dosnt look/feel right so will get it checked.
Mini minion x