NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   It works for me, maybe it can work for you... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/210782-maybe.html)

RAllen82 10-11-2014 10:15 AM

It works for me, maybe it can work for you...

Hello people! The issue of sleep- or lack thereof- is a topic that is very near to many of us. So I wanted to share what has been going on with me for the past three weeks in hopes that it may help someone.

For the first two+ months or more of my accident, I was not committed to taking the medication prescribed to me by my doctor. The idea of being regulated by it caused more anxiety than what I already had. Namely, I am talking about Mirtazapine (Remeron). This is an atypical anti-depressant that is given to aid in sleep and help stimulate appetite.

When I realized that my non compliant ways with the night time medication was not helping the situation, I gave in. For almost three weeks now I have been taking 15mg of Remeron around 10:00pm and I have slept like a baby. Even if I wake, I can put myself back to sleep. This is a huge breakthrough for me.

My insomnia and anxiety was so severe, I was taking up to 3 Xanax and Ativan at night right after my accident and it still wouldn't put me down. The Remeron has helped to regulate my sleep pattern and I wake refreshed without anxiety.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone feels they have tried other remedies that aren't working. I know the issue of dependency and withdrawal are a factor and I have read horror stories. But I think you can get those stories with any medication or remedy you search. I have also read several success stories.

I only plan to be on this med another 2-3 weeks before I begin to wean myself off and see where I stand alone. I will update at that time. If anyone has questions, I'm more than happy to answer.

I also know that what works for one may not work for another, but it's worth a shot if you are at your wits end as I was. I feel so much better than I did just a short time ago. I think many of you are aware of how desperate I was feeling.

I pray that everyone is healing and so thankful to God when I read stories of healing on here. Thanks again for all the support. I couldn't have made it this far without everyones comments, advice and concern

Take care and WAR EAGLE!!!! ;)

SuperElectric 10-11-2014 11:02 AM

Nice one, glad hear you are getting centered after feeling so ill.

music-in-me 10-11-2014 04:02 PM

RAllen82,

Great news and answer to prayers! Wish you continued success! M-i-m