NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Will my damage be permanent? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/211082-damage-permanent.html)

richy448 10-18-2014 03:04 AM

Will my damage be permanent?

This recent Saturday, exactly a week back I suffered a concussion whilst swimming with my friends when my friend dived into the pool to have his back hit the very top of my head.
I did not lose consciousness but I was extremely tired and dizzy for the remainder of the day. I remember the whole incident as well.
Throughout this whole week I feel as though my cognitive ability has been really bringing me down and it hasn't been ups and downs its just a constant haze in my brain. It feels as if my memory since the incident has been at a very minimum also. The first few days since the incident felt alright but from a couple days ago it has taken a toll on me and I have gotten anxious since I cannot perform to the best of my ability. I have not suffered from any headaches or nausea which is really worrying me in case this is just permanent brain damage.
My family is not in the best of financial positions so I am trying to avoid going to the hospital if possible. Do you guys have any advice?

SuperElectric 10-18-2014 03:45 AM

Just rest until you feel better, you will be fine. Try not to worry or think about it too much the body is tough.

willgardner 10-18-2014 05:44 PM

Regardless of whether you had a concussion or not, worrying does not help at all. In fact, worrying slows down your healing process. If you think that you will heal, you have the best chance at recovery. Trust that you will heal, be your own placebo.

richy448 10-19-2014 09:05 PM

I thought it'd get better after plenty of rest, however, my head continues to feel like its in a haze and regular dizziness. They seem to be the only symptoms I ever get along with a bit of fatigue and it doesn't seem to be getting any better after a week and a half of rest.

Mark in Idaho 10-19-2014 10:34 PM

richy,

You are still very early in your recovery. You may also have a subtle neck injury. Icing your upper neck may be helpful. Not just once but multiple times a day for a few days at least. I have instructions for making crushable ice packs at the bottom of the sticky at the top called "Vitamins".

It will also help to maintain a good straight neck posture, especially when resting or sleeping. You are lucky your friend did not break your neck.

My best to you.

richy448 10-20-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1104094)
richy,

You are still very early in your recovery. You may also have a subtle neck injury. Icing your upper neck may be helpful. Not just once but multiple times a day for a few days at least. I have instructions for making crushable ice packs at the bottom of the sticky at the top called "Vitamins".

It will also help to maintain a good straight neck posture, especially when resting or sleeping. You are lucky your friend did not break your neck.

My best to you.

Ahh I'll try that out. Also, do you know if my cognitive ability should be improving anytime soon? Because it sort of feels like im in a constant mild haze and it's distracting me from my school work. It's been like this ever since a few days after the incident and hasn't been improving. :confused:

willgardner 10-20-2014 01:27 AM

Richy, you have to be patient in this game. It may resolve very soon or it may take longer. Everyone is different. Many people on this forum have had symptoms for months or even years.

Mark in Idaho 10-20-2014 02:12 AM

richy,

You need to do anything you can to reduce your cognitive load from school. No cramming for exams. No video games, late nights, alcohol, caffeine, energy drinks, concerts, loud music, or other sensory stressors.

And, no stressing out over your slow recovery. It just makes things worse.

My best to you.