NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Kratom for Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/211182-kratom-neuropathy.html)

H1N1Guy 10-20-2014 06:57 PM

Kratom for Neuropathy

There seems to be quite a bit of interest on here regarding Kratom for neuropathic pain, so I thought I would start this thread so that people who have tried it can report their experience. I experienced good results until it became illegal here and I had to give it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx9giH6PcMo

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how...rall-lovechild

Balanchine 10-21-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H1N1Guy (Post 1104255)
There seems to be quite a bit of interest on here regarding Kratom for neuropathic pain, so I thought I would start this thread so that people who have tried it can report their experience. I experienced good results until it became illegal here and I had to give it up.

I read about Kratom for the first time only recently, did some reading and youtube viewing and ordered some. I've now tried it twice.

I should preface my comments by saying that I don't have pain, just increasing numbness and tingling. I also some years back had cancer and was on Oxycodone and Fentanyl during and after radiation treatment. So I have experience with opiods.

My first impressions are that Kratom is not dissimilar to a mild version of an opiod. I have a fairly high tolerance level for the latter, which probably mitigates the effect for me. It's definitely pleasant though. Euphoria, a feeling of well-being, a general full body sensation that, were I in pain, would probably help. It did definitely take my mind off the annoying tingly sensation in my hands and arms for a few hours, so that by itself is a good thing.

I've read that it can be addicting so I don't plan on using it every day or even more than a time or two a week. But as a little vacation from discomfort it's now in my toolbag. People who are truly agonized from PN would benefit, imho. Naturally you have to take your own situation into account before experimenting.

Balanchine 03-05-2015 01:11 PM

Commenting again, mainly to bump up the topic, since I just read a few posts from some years ago regarding intractable pain. Kratom is good stuff and helps a lot of people. It's natural, and legal in most states. Anyone who'd like to know more can PM me. (PS I'm not a vendor of the stuff, just trying to help)

joe brush 03-05-2015 01:21 PM

H2o Hydration ( water ) Consumption = Relief

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balanchine (Post 1127658)
Commenting again, mainly to bump up the topic, since I just read a few posts from some years ago regarding intractable pain. Kratom is good stuff and helps a lot of people. It's natural, and legal in most states. Anyone who'd like to know more can PM me. (PS I'm not a vendor of the stuff, just trying to help)

I noted from Shingles 7/2013 evolving into PHN by Drinking mostly / only water along with recommended daily amount 8 glasses daily , my upper branch Trigeminal Nerve Pain has DECREASED substantially in just 4 short days so far . DEHYDRATION without a doubt prolonged and worsened both Pain & Condition . Try it .

janieg 06-23-2015 12:01 PM

After my horrid night last night, I've gone ahead and purchased a small quantity to see if it will help when I'm flaring.

I'm not one to like feeling "altered," so it will be interesting to see how I react.

Balanchine 06-23-2015 01:03 PM

Janie, I hope it helps you and think it likely will. For me anyway there's no altered/psychotropic drug feeling. Look forward to your reaction!

janieg 06-23-2015 01:22 PM

There were lots of strains to choose from, so after a bunch of reading, I selected one that seemed most often referenced for help with pain.

One of the concerns I have is what I'm reading that in small dosage, it acts as a stimulant. Do you find that to be the case? That would not be helpful.

icelander 06-23-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1150205)
After my horrid night last night, I've gone ahead and purchased a small quantity to see if it will help when I'm flaring.

I'm not one to like feeling "altered," so it will be interesting to see how I react.

Kratom basically targets the opiod receptors and will feel very similar to many opioids and also has some of the same drawbacks. I'd do some research. Having said that I love the stuff and now still use it for really bad days. Using it on occasion is very safe IMO and no worries about addiction. I'd say you could easily use it once or three times a week without addiction of any kind.

Kratom is dose and quality dependent. I buy from Phytoextractum and their quality is excellent. Keep trying larger doses if you are not getting results. Empty stomach also is important. It comes on fairly fast though so that's great. I also like the Malay form but they also have extracts that are killer potent. Some forms are better for pain than others, some are more energizing. Be careful with these very potent extracts as addiction can be more of an issue. And if you take a lot take a laxative. Like the traditional opioids this causes constipation, just not as severe. And there is more but you can PM me if you have questions. If I can find my pms that is. lol

caroline2 06-23-2015 01:59 PM

Never heard of Kratom so did some search and posting this link:

kratomonline.org/kratom-effects/
Oct 22, 2013 - Kratom Effects and Side Effects Review. ... Promotes Health: Kratom has been used for hundreds of years by Southeast Asian cultures as a ...

I'm headed into month 2 on Inosine and Sphingolin and noting less tingle/burning on my thigh damage from hip replacement, Cutaneous Femoral Nerve damage a side effect I'm living with headed to year 5.

Good to know about Kratom but for now I'm sticking with these 2 new nerve supps. Thanks...

Balanchine 06-23-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1150246)
There were lots of strains to choose from, so after a bunch of reading, I selected one that seemed most often referenced for help with pain.

One of the concerns I have is what I'm reading that in small dosage, it acts as a stimulant. Do you find that to be the case? That would not be helpful.

Janie, they do say (whoever they are) that smaller doses are more stimulating and that might be true, but I haven't experimented in that way. I got myself a kitchen scale and after some experimenting found that a dose of 5 grams works just right for me. This is about a rounded teaspoon plus a bit more (dependent on the strain and therefore the density).

I began with a dose of a teaspoon leveled off. So you might begin that way and see how it affects you. So they say (them again!), the red strains are more sedating, the greens and whites more energetic. I'm not sure I find that to be the case though. For me it's mainly which vendors and strains are more potent.

My guess is you'll soon find your sweet spot. I hope you like this miracle substance as much as I do!

janieg 06-23-2015 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

I will definitely have to play around with dosage, so thanks for the tips. I don't have a whole lot of experience with opioids, but have taken them after ortho surgeries. I seem to remember just sleeping a lot. That would be a desirable effect from this since I'm looking for help at night.

I did get a red strain Indonesian after some reading, and also just found this nice page:

http://ensobotanicals.com/kratom/

Strains for Pain

The primary reason kratom is so effective for pain are it’s two primary painkilling alkaloids: Mitragynine, and 7-OH-mitragynine. Which have agonist activity at mu and delta opiod receptors, effectively dampening the body’s perception of pain. As a result, those who are looking for pain relief from kratom have had best effects with strains high in these two alkaloids.

Leaf alkaloid content can vary from plant to plant, and from strain to strain, however, there are a few strains which seem to be the most effective for pain overall. The most popular strains for this purpose are:

Strains

Borneo
Indo
Maeng Da
Bali

Preferred Vein Color

Red

Dosage

Moderate/High

icelander 06-23-2015 05:54 PM

Well this might be a little disappointing but I'm sure you're used to that. Kratom and opioids in general are not very effective on nerve pain compared to say a muscular pain etc. It does help as an adjunct therapy however. Not much as a stand alone. Best of luck.

janieg 06-23-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1150313)
Well this might be a little disappointing but I'm sure you're used to that. Kratom and opioids in general are not very effective on nerve pain compared to say a muscular pain etc. It does help as an adjunct therapy however. Not much as a stand alone. Best of luck.

Totally used to disappointment, but it doesn't keep me from trying.

icelander 06-23-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1150342)
Totally used to disappointment, but it doesn't keep me from trying.

Same here. But it will very likely be more help in your bag of tricks. Or maybe it will work especially well for you. That's my hope.

janieg 06-26-2015 07:01 PM

The kratom arrived today, and I took some about two hours ago. I didn't want to wait until bedtime in case it had a stimulating effect on me.

That definitely is not the case. It has a sedating/relaxing effect on me, and VERY happily, I can also report it has dialed back the SFN pain and discomfort a notch or three. I wasn't having a really bad day, but it wasn't a really good day either. I was uncomfortable when I took it, but not nearly as bad as it can get.

I still feel all my usual neurological symptoms...the tingling in my legs and feet, the referred sensation I experience, and the creepy/crawly feeling in my temples, but there's no burning or pain accompanying it like there was before I took it.

The pain I have in my elbow from tendinitis is also noticeably less severe,

This is definitely something I could only use at night because of the sedation, but that's when I need the help the most. The real test will be when I'm having a really bad flare, but I'm not going to wish for one soon.

I'm beyond thrilled to have this in my arsenal. Knowing I might have something to turn to when I'm flaring badly is a HUGE relief.

Thanks so much to everyone who posted on this. I had no idea it even existed.

KnowNothingJon 06-26-2015 07:23 PM

I hope it at least is a good time to time option, but that is exciting!

Balanchine 06-27-2015 06:12 PM

Janie, that's great to read. I had a feeling it would be a good thing for you, and I hope it continues to help. And that more folks here give it a try for pain and general relief.

baba222 06-27-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1151033)
The kratom arrived today, and I took some about two hours ago. I didn't want to wait until bedtime in case it had a stimulating effect on me.

That definitely is not the case. It has a sedating/relaxing effect on me, and VERY happily, I can also report it has dialed back the SFN pain and discomfort a notch or three. I wasn't having a really bad day, but it wasn't a really good day either. I was uncomfortable when I took it, but not nearly as bad as it can get.

I still feel all my usual neurological symptoms...the tingling in my legs and feet, the referred sensation I experience, and the creepy/crawly feeling in my temples, but there's no burning or pain accompanying it like there was before I took it.

The pain I have in my elbow from tendinitis is also noticeably less severe,

This is definitely something I could only use at night because of the sedation, but that's when I need the help the most. The real test will be when I'm having a really bad flare, but I'm not going to wish for one soon.

I'm beyond thrilled to have this in my arsenal. Knowing I might have something to turn to when I'm flaring badly is a HUGE relief.

Thanks so much to everyone who posted on this. I had no idea it even existed.

Do you feel comfortable relating what strain you used?

I am considering it for my SFN. I can no longer take anti-convulsants due to their supposed change for my low platelets. I had low platelets before, but can't argue with those doctors.

Anyway, I read the site, thank you, but still am not sure what to order.

TIA

janieg 06-27-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baba222 (Post 1151289)
Do you feel comfortable relating what strain you used?

I am considering it for my SFN. I can no longer take anti-convulsants due to their supposed change for my low platelets. I had low platelets before, but can't argue with those doctors.

Anyway, I read the site, thank you, but still am not sure what to order.

TIA

No problem at all. Per the recommendations I read (see a couple of posts above), I got a Red Vein Indo(nesian).

When I ordered it online, however, something did happen that's never happened before. My credit card company held up the payment until I confirmed I actually placed the order. I got an immediate email from them asking me to confirm. I don't know if it was the nature of the purchase or the fact I was using a relatively new website that caused the issue the security red flag. After I confirmed it was me, when I placed the order again, it went right through.

icelander 06-28-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balanchine (Post 1150263)
Janie, they do say (whoever they are) that smaller doses are more stimulating and that might be true, but I haven't experimented in that way. I got myself a kitchen scale and after some experimenting found that a dose of 5 grams works just right for me. This is about a rounded teaspoon plus a bit more (dependent on the strain and therefore the density).

I began with a dose of a teaspoon leveled off. So you might begin that way and see how it affects you. So they say (them again!), the red strains are more sedating, the greens and whites more energetic. I'm not sure I find that to be the case though. For me it's mainly which vendors and strains are more potent.

My guess is you'll soon find your sweet spot. I hope you like this miracle substance as much as I do!

That's where I started and a year later I was up to 25g.:D

janieg 06-28-2015 10:27 AM

I'm using one level teaspoon, which based on what Balanchine said, is a probably in the neighborhood 4 - 4.5 grams or thereabouts. I tried it again last night as my feet and temples were burning worse than the night before, and I wanted to see its usefulness at that level of discomfort.

It took care of the burn beautifully, but when I got one of those nerve zingers, it was loud and proud. So as I think icelander mentioned, it might not help with nerve pain. Thankfully I don't get a lot of the zingers anymore.

icelander 06-28-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1151340)
I'm using one level teaspoon, which based on what Balanchine said, is a probably in the neighborhood 4 - 4.5 grams or thereabouts. I tried it again last night as my feet and temples were burning worse than the night before, and I wanted to see its usefulness at that level of discomfort.

It took care of the burn beautifully, but when I got one of those nerve zingers, it was loud and proud. So as I think icelander mentioned, it might not help with nerve pain. Thankfully I don't get a lot of the zingers anymore.

If I remember right a level tsp. is about 3.5 grams at most. And isn't burning also nerve pain? Anyway be a little conservative with it. I got to where I was using 25 g. a pop. Even though I was addicted quitting was relatively easy. I was surprised. Now I save it for when nothing else is working and it's heavy pain.

janieg 06-28-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1151346)
And isn't burning also nerve pain?

Yes, you're right...it is. Bad choice of words on my part. I just should have said it didn't help with my zingers.

Neuroproblem 06-29-2015 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1151346)
If I remember right a level tsp. is about 3.5 grams at most. And isn't burning also nerve pain? Anyway be a little conservative with it. I got to where I was using 25 g. a pop. Even though I was addicted quitting was relatively easy. I was surprised. Now I save it for when nothing else is working and it's heavy pain.

Burning is can be part of neuropathy. nerve pain is usually associated with neuralgia. Which would be dull , and excrutiating pain.

Balanchine 07-01-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1151317)
That's where I started and a year later I was up to 25g.:D

25 grams.....! Holy cow. At one time or spread out? I'm a member of the two main kratom forums (great places for advice and support, btw) and have read of people who take up to maybe 18. But that's over the course of a day.

icelander 07-01-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balanchine (Post 1152037)
25 grams.....! Holy cow. At one time or spread out? I'm a member of the two main kratom forums (great places for advice and support, btw) and have read of people who take up to maybe 18. But that's over the course of a day.

I only took one shot. I have high tolerance. You should see the quantity of cannabis I consume daily in vaporizing and edibles. Also once a day for sleep. I had to become a grower because it was getting to be about $10-20 a day. Now I can do it for about 50 cents.

Balanchine 07-01-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1152076)
I only took one shot. I have high tolerance. You should see the quantity of cannabis I consume daily in vaporizing and edibles. Also once a day for sleep. I had to become a grower because it was getting to be about $10-20 a day. Now I can do it for about 50 cents.

high tolerance is right...! I also use edible cannabis a few times a week for sleep, but all in all I prefer kratom because of its general body effects and the fact that it doesn't impair me in any way (as weed is known to do... at least mentally)

janieg 07-02-2015 11:48 AM

Well, let me tell you about last night.

When I went to bed, I wasn't feeling terribly bad. I hadn't had a great day, but I wasn't burning too badly by the time I went to bed. My feet were vibrating like crazy and cramping, though, so I cut a lidocaine patch in half and slapped them on my feet to see if that would calm them down.

Once I got in bed, though, my lower back was killing me as sometimes happen. I had really bad sciatic pain, and no matter what position I got in, I couldn't stop it. I was fine if I stood up. I walked around a bit and did some exercises, but it didn't help. I thought it was going be one those horrible nights until I decided to try the kratom. I wasn't sure it was going to help with this extreme pain since the shooting neuropathic pain seemed to break through last time, but it was worth a shot.

I woke up 9 hours later and don't remember waking up once during the night. Usually something wakes me up...like a foot cramp...but I don't think I woke up at all. I can't tell you how good I feel today. I hadn't slept well for a few nights in a row, and I needed that! :D

icelander 07-02-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balanchine (Post 1152096)
high tolerance is right...! I also use edible cannabis a few times a week for sleep, but all in all I prefer kratom because of its general body effects and the fact that it doesn't impair me in any way (as weed is known to do... at least mentally)

Good strains of high CBD medical cannabis do not impair me to any great degree. Mostly anxiety and pain relief. They are lower in THC and high in CBDs. I use it every night and it took me from 2 hours of poor sleep to 8 hours of fairly decent sleep even when in pain.

icelander 07-02-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1152297)

When I went to bed, I wasn't feeling terribly bad. I hadn't had a great day, but I wasn't burning too badly by the time I went to bed. My feet were vibrating like crazy and cramping, though, so I cut a lidocaine patch in half and slapped them on my feet to see if that would calm them down.

Once I got in bed, though, my lower back was killing me as sometimes happen. I had really bad sciatic pain, and no matter what position I got in, I couldn't stop it. I was fine if I stood up. I walked around a bit and did some exercises, but it didn't help. I thought it was going be one those horrible nights until I decided to try the kratom. I wasn't sure it was going to help with this extreme pain since the shooting neuropathic pain seemed to break through last time, but it was worth a shot.

I woke up 9 hours later and don't remember waking up once during the night. Usually something wakes me up...like a foot cramp...but I don't think I woke up at all. I can't tell you how good I feel today. I hadn't slept well for a few nights in a row, and I needed that! :D

See now Kratom is great for things like back muscular pain. Those are what opiates do best. I'm glad you got some rest. I have the Impression that a little monkey is eyeballing your back. Well the good news is you really have to work at getting very addicted to it. If you used a smallish dose even daily it would likely be a cakewalk to quit. I was doing 20 and more and I quit easily but I used Phenibut to help with the withdrawl issues. Worked like a charm and the quit was a breeze.

canagirl 07-02-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1152361)
Good strains of high CBD medical cannabis do not impair me to any great degree. Mostly anxiety and pain relief. They are lower in THC and high in CBDs. I use it every night and it took me from 2 hours of poor sleep to 8 hours of fairly decent sleep even when in pain.

Hi

I'm in the process of getting my marihuana liscence. I was told at the clinic that high cbd and no or low thc strains don't work On pain. Have u found that it does work on neuropathic pain? Do u smoke, vaporize or do edibles?

icelander 07-02-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canagirl (Post 1152423)
Hi

I'm in the process of getting my marihuana liscence. I was told at the clinic that high cbd and no or low thc strains don't work On pain. Have u found that it does work on neuropathic pain? Do u smoke, vaporize or do edibles?

What pray tell do they work on?

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains/...ns-from-israel

read the descriptions where it says for pain.

I vape and do edibles. The grow was fun and I was impressed with the yield. I was guided by a commercial grower however.

Mostly the cbd cannabis I use for serious insomnia issues. It's really worked. And even now when my pain can be bad at night I can still manage 4 or 5 hours. That's better than I did when not in pain before this nasty disease.

canagirl 07-02-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icelander (Post 1152429)
What pray tell do they work on?

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains/...ns-from-israel

read the descriptions where it says for pain.

I vape and do edibles. The grow was fun and I was impressed with the yield. I was guided by a commercial grower however.

Mostly the cbd cannabis I use for serious insomnia issues. It's really worked. And even now when my pain can be bad at night I can still manage 4 or 5 hours. That's better than I did when not in pain before this nasty disease.

Well that's good to hear. I was very nervous about trying it and specifically asked for no or low thc because I did not want to be impaired. That is when they told me that strains with a medium to higher thc concentration are what work well on neuropathic pain. They told me to start with the low thc high cbd strain to get used to doing it and that it would be useful to help lower my anxiety and maybe help me sleep. Ill be so happy if they do work on my pain like it does on yours! Thanks for the info :)

icelander 07-02-2015 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canagirl (Post 1152438)
Well that's good to hear. I was very nervous about trying it and specifically asked for no or low thc because I did not want to be impaired. That is when they told me that strains with a medium to higher thc concentration are what work well on neuropathic pain. They told me to start with the low thc high cbd strain to get used to doing it and that it would be useful to help lower my anxiety and maybe help me sleep. Ill be so happy if they do work on my pain like it does on yours! Thanks for the info :)

This is different than how I interpreted your earlier statements. I believe you said that they said cbds did not work on pain. That's different then them saying the balance between thc and cbd is important. I'd go with their recommendations.

And you will get used to being "impaired" fairly rapidly. I rarely feel stoned after vaping or eating. I don't feel hardly anything and that's what I was after sort of.

Balanchine 07-02-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1152297)

Janie, that's great to hear. I don't think I've slept for 9 hours since I was 18!

Kratom helps so many people. I have a cousin I've recently turned on to the stuff, she has constant pain from serious pneumonia that nearly killed her a few years ago, plus bad sleep issues... and she's getting relief on both. I hope it continues to help you!

janieg 07-03-2015 08:06 AM

Icelander and Balanchine,

I really appreciate all your help with this as it's such a relief knowing I have some recourse when things get really bad. I intend on using it for "special occasions" and not on a regular basis.

When I went to bad last night after such a good night's sleep the night before, I was worried sleep wouldn't come easily, but it did. I wasn't in much discomfort on any front...my feet were ok, my back wasn't bad, no burning at all...and I drifted off to sleep on my own without having to do anything for pain.

Lest I forget my woes, though, I was woken up at 5:53 a.m. by a frog croaking out my bedroom window and my back was killing me. Never got back to sleep after. Equalizing karma. :rolleyes:

KnowNothingJon 07-03-2015 11:12 AM

I wish I couldn't relate. I was up and down all night. It was like a pain version of this Pearl Jam lyric from Given To Fly- "A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw/ delivered him wings (pain) hey look at me now".

If Kratom can get you 1 and some nights relief I'd suggest thinking about what other tool in the chest can compensate for it.

I hope you find a good pattern. Sleep is so crucial. I was super zombified for a long time as my sleep scgedule was really awful. For whatever reason, I believe I am becoming accustomed to where I am, I am able to sleep 4 instead of 2 hours on bad nights.

Good luck,
Jon

madisongrrl 07-03-2015 12:57 PM

This was a great thread! And of course, I can't get this in Wisconsin.....sigh.

janieg 07-03-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisongrrl (Post 1152571)

Sorry to hear that. I didn't realize that it might be illegal in some states, but am not surprised.

Here's a map of where it's legal and illegal if it helps anyone:

http://speciosa.org/kratom-legality-map/

_______

Balanchine 07-03-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisongrrl (Post 1152571)

If you have a good friend or relative in another state who's willing to get it for you, it's very easy to order online and then send in a plain brown wrapper, so to speak. I doubt there'd be any issues with that but of course this is just my non-legal opinion!