NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Seen the podiatrist (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/211615-seen-podiatrist.html)

Billylyne5 10-31-2014 12:20 PM

Seen the podiatrist

Well saw the podiotrist at suggestion of the neurologist as he thought I may have developed plantar facilitis, podiotrist said my feet were mechanically fine, no issues he could see at all, he thinks the pain is from the SFN he gave me some insoles for my shoes that give better arch support and recommended I get some brooks trainers as they would probably be the most comfortable.

IllPn 11-01-2014 09:09 PM

shoes

Hi

I wear Brooks tennis shoes all yr pretty much. Did you know you really should buy new shoes every yr? Gets expensive as these shoes are over $100. I have ones that are more of a wedge. I also had orthodics made for me. I could hardly walk from foot pain from the plantar issues. I have heel spurs and a high arch that has dropped. Any way, the foot pain has been pretty good except for the PN symptoms. I used to get out of bed with tight feet that would stretch out when walked. That does not happen anymore. I don't do any extra stretching and should probably. I do have a plastic stretcher for lack of what to call it but never used it.

Jon_sparky 11-05-2014 03:00 AM

I am going to the poditrist tomorrow morning. I have high arches, beginnings of hammer toes, short tendons, bone spurs etc. my custom orthotics wore out on me, it has been 7 years since I had them made. That is why I thought I had hereditary neuropathy, as my father had very high arches and large fiber neuropathy.

Susanne C. 11-05-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon_sparky (Post 1106407)
I am going to the poditrist tomorrow morning. I have high arches, beginnings of hammer toes, short tendons, bone spurs etc. my custom orthotics wore out on me, it has been 7 years since I had them made. That is why I thought I had hereditary neuropathy, as my father had very high arches and large fiber neuropathy.

Did you completely rule out hereditary neuropathy? Your symptoms sure sound like mine, as I have all those things, the high arches and short tendons since childhood. You can have both large and small fiber neuropathies with CMT, I do.

Jon_sparky 11-05-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanne C. (Post 1106421)
Did you completely rule out hereditary neuropathy? Your symptoms sure sound like mine, as I have all those things, the high arches and short tendons since childhood. You can have both large and small fiber neuropathies with CMT, I do.

The nerve conduction test and skin biopsy were normal, I asked about a DNA test, but the Neurologist said he didn't think it was hereditary neuropathy. My first Dx was sensory hereditary neuropathy, but I never got the DNA test.
My Father lost the feeling in his legs from his knees down, had high arches and hammer toe... Another thing, I have exceptional balance.

Kitt 11-05-2014 10:19 AM

You do not need to have high arches, hammer toes, etc. to have something like CMT. However as you posted your nerve conduction test and skin biopsy were normal. And your neurologist did not think DNA testing was in order.

As far as exceptional balance - I had that also at one time. Thanks for your input.

hopeful 11-06-2014 12:37 PM

I such brought a new pair of brooks. They are a little more expensive but if you can afford them they are worth it. They are really comfortable and not really heavy. I have a hard time with any shoes that enclose my feet but nothing I can do about that in the winter.

Billylyne5 11-06-2014 02:32 PM

Is it any Brooke's trainers or a particular model?

hopeful 11-06-2014 11:14 PM

I go to a running store in my area. Hopefully, there is something similar in your area. I spoke with the owner. He did have knowledge in the area of neuropathy and gave me suggestions. I've had several different pairs over the years and liked them all. I always try them on and walk around the stores for a while. This store will even let me walk around outside in them.
I don't know if you run or are a walker. I think there are different types for either. Unfortunately, I can't fun anymore and I miss it like crazy!

Billylyne5 11-07-2014 02:46 AM

Thanks I will go to my running store, I used to run, too painful now, but I walk the dog a lot.