NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   PN attacking my trunk (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/212164-pn-attacking-trunk.html)

JHop11 11-14-2014 12:39 AM

PN attacking my trunk

Has anyone experienced stinging and shock like pains in their back, side, or chest? My PN started in my arms and legs but then I started getting the pains in my trunk and these pains hurt way worse!
TYIA

Susanne C. 11-14-2014 08:18 AM

I get pains in my rib cage that feel like it is being squeezed, people with MS call these "hugs", and it is a very good description. I have Baclofen for these and to reduce the number of muscle spasms I get. I also have symptoms of pudendal neuropathy, so yes it can progress to the trunk. The pain, pins and needles, numbness, and reduced sensation have progressed for me to hip level and upper arms. If I turn the shower unbearably hot I cannot feel it below my lower back.
I have hereditary neuropathy (CMT) and it is progressive.

JHop11 11-14-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanne C. (Post 1107808)
I get pains in my rib cage that feel like it is being squeezed, people with MS call these "hugs", and it is a very good description. I have Baclofen for these and to reduce the number of muscle spasms I get. I also have symptoms of pudendal neuropathy, so yes it can progress to the trunk. The pain, pins and needles, numbness, and reduced sensation have progressed for me to hip level and upper arms. If I turn the shower unbearably hot I cannot feel it below my lower back.
I have hereditary neuropathy (CMT) and it is progressive.

Ty for your reply.

That sounds very similar to what I get. A lot of times they feel like they are around my ribs, either towards the front or on my sides. They feel stabbing, sharp, and intense. They only last < 10 seconds but they hurt! I have a vague dx of "anti-sulfatide antibidy related peripheral neuropathy". I've had MRIs of my spine before +/- contrast to r/o MS.

But I also get stinging, burning sensations in my upper back. Sometimes they shoot down the length of my back. Other times, it feels like someone is taking a cauterizer or a hot rod and is searing it into my skin around the back of my shoulder blades.

I wonder if there are other diseases besides MS that you can get these "hug" like sensations?

baba222 11-14-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHop11 (Post 1107749)
Has anyone experienced stinging and shock like pains in their back, side, or chest? My PN started in my arms and legs but then I started getting the pains in my trunk and these pains hurt way worse!
TYIA

I have a horizontal band of pain around my mid back. My mid back and upper chest has japs and tingling.
I only have skin disturbance as a diagnosis.

Hope it gets better soon.

Kitt 11-14-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHop11 (Post 1107819)

I wonder if there are other diseases besides MS that you can get these "hug" like sensations?

Yes, Charcot Marie Tooth Syndrome (CMT).

en bloc 11-14-2014 11:16 AM

If this stinging/shocking pain is new on your back, side, & chest...have you considered shingles?

januarybabe 11-15-2014 07:32 PM

I have pain that started in my trunk mostly in waist area. I have disturbance of skin sensation. A lot of my clothes hurt. I am a woman and wear dresses a lot. The waist band of pants hurts.