NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/posttraumatic-stress-disorder/)
-   -   Why am I prescribed Propranolol ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/posttraumatic-stress-disorder/212392-am-prescribed-propranolol.html)

Galaxy1012 11-19-2014 03:18 AM

Why am I prescribed Propranolol ?

I am 8 months since I hit my head on a concrete wall and had a serious concussion. I developed tinnitus, light and sound sensitivity, extreme fatigue even after slightest physical activity. One neuro diagnosed me with PCS and gave me xanax .25 for a month. Yesterday I went to a new neurologist and he told me I have PTSD and gave me propranolol 60mg once a day. He told me that propranolol will help me with the sensitivity to bumps and jolts that I have since I hit my head ( Driving in a car drives me crazy as speed bumps and potholes send the impacts straight to my head) . I am reluctant to take it as I have read that it slows down the heart rate . Is the dose high ? What should I expect after taking it ? How do you think it will help with the sensitivity to bums and jolts ? Thank you

Snoopy 11-19-2014 09:50 AM

Hi Galaxy1012,

I don't have any personal experience with propranolol but I am aware of it's use for PTSD. Propranolol has been shown (clinical studies) to help with one of the more disruptive symptoms of PTSD, memories/flashbacks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...p-ptsd/252079/

Although your Neurologist can prescribe medications that could help with PTSD my personal preference is a Psychiatrist as this area (PTSD) is in their field of expertise as is the medications.

Take care :hug:

anneo59 01-23-2015 11:10 AM

propanol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy1012 (Post 1108623)
I am 8 months since I hit my head on a concrete wall and had a serious concussion. I developed tinnitus, light and sound sensitivity, extreme fatigue even after slightest physical activity. One neuro diagnosed me with PCS and gave me xanax .25 for a month. Yesterday I went to a new neurologist and he told me I have PTSD and gave me propranolol 60mg once a day. He told me that propranolol will help me with the sensitivity to bumps and jolts that I have since I hit my head ( Driving in a car drives me crazy as speed bumps and potholes send the impacts straight to my head) . I am reluctant to take it as I have read that it slows down the heart rate . Is the dose high ? What should I expect after taking it ? How do you think it will help with the sensitivity to bums and jolts ? Thank you

The best to you and hope it turns out well for you. TY also for additional info on this med. I have been interested in it myself, but we will see.

Lara 01-24-2015 03:20 AM

anneo,
Propranolol is often used at really low doses for anxiety as well.

It doesn't help with the reasons for the anxiety though it does help with the physical symptoms of anxiety like we get with a "fight or flight" response. Some people with social anxiety find it helpful in very stressful situations and often take it as the situation arises rather than take it all the time.

jamesldavis1 08-04-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy1012 (Post 1108623)

Hey, what ever happened with your propranalol trial? Did it help with the startling? I get the same thing so I'd love to know...

kiwi33 08-05-2015 07:23 PM

I have no personal experience of PTSD but a member of a mood disorders therapy group that I used to go to does.

She reported that a combination of Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT) and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) helped her with her PTSD.

She stressed that, in her experience, it is important to find a mental health professional who has a track record of using TFCBT and EMDR when working with clients who have PTSD.