NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   I still have bouts of dizziness after 8 months .. what can it be ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/212931-bouts-dizziness-8-months.html)

Galaxy1012 12-01-2014 02:29 AM

I still have bouts of dizziness after 8 months .. what can it be ?

I am 8 months into PCS. I still have dizziness bouts that last for a second or so. The dizziness feels like my head and vision kinda freezes momentarily in the air and I lose control over things for a second . This comes and goes. Can it be some nerve compressed in neck? Or I am still having concussion symptoms after this long ? I don't know if its vertigo related. Any idea ?

russiarulez 12-01-2014 02:56 AM

Can you reproduce this, for example it happens after tilting your head, or when you're really tired, etc?

If it were me I would maybe try and go to a chiro that specializes in upper neck injuries like atlas orthogonal and see what he says.

Mark in Idaho 12-01-2014 03:01 AM

Concussion symptoms can last years. But that does not mean this is a concussion symptom. The very short duration is odd unless these moments follow a movement. I have had a momentary problem like this since 1987 when I had general anesthesia for a broken Tib-Fib. I had to learn to not start to move in two dimensions at the same time. Getting out of a chair, I need to move forward before starting to stand up, otherwise, there is just too much movement.

What has been done to help you diagnose this problem ?

Galaxy1012 12-01-2014 03:57 AM

Russiarulz, MarkinIdaho thank you for the replies. This feeling doesn't necessarily come with any specific movement of the neck, though I will observe a bit more hereafter. It can come when I am lying straight or working on my computer with no movements of my neck whatsoever. Earlier i used to feel the exact same dizziness for about half a second with the slightest jolt from the downward direction like when in a car and hitting a pothole. My PT suspect some nerve in the neck being compressed with such jolts . I now type this and experience this thrice in 5 minutes with no neck movement.

These bouts increase if I am used to resting a lot I suspect and my neck is constantly tilted for hours. If I am up and moving and active then maybe it decreases a lot but I am not sure as the frequency is increased since a couple of days even when I am busy . maybe I need to look into the blood flow to my head My next step would be to get my neck checked although I do not expect any abnormalities. Any other idea is appreciated

Hockey 12-01-2014 10:18 AM

As it can have so many causes, dizziness can be difficult to treat.

With brain injury patients, it could be auditory nerve damage, neck issues, vision problems, etc..,

One of the other problems is that few doctors really understand and/or take it seriously.

There are specialized clinics. If you're a Canadian, I know that there is an excellent one in Toronto.

PCSJourney42 12-01-2014 05:41 PM

I have extreme vertigo.. mine is due to vestibular damage. It was easily figured out by seeing a doctor who specialized in concussion therapy. Your inner ears are responsible for your balance, by sending signals to your brain.

If you have vestibular damage, the signals are incorrect, therefore your brain creates dizziness (my explanation).

Easy way to determine and help...do not look at a bunch of objects at once. If you are mobile, find one thing in front of you focus on that, then find something else until you get to your destination.

I will tell you, my experiences have landed me down the stairs, or walking into things.