NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Convection oven? (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/213256-convection-oven.html)

Lara 12-08-2014 02:14 PM

Convection oven?

I'm wondering if anyone here has a convection oven? I don't mean the rectangular ones, I mean the compact round ones that apparently can do almost everything.

I am currently without an oven and thought this might be a cheap alternative that I can use in the meantime. It's portable too and that is what I'm needing.

Prices seem to vary a lot although I've watched some YouTube videos showing people using the cheaper ones and they look as if they work fine. I've also read reviews but I'm not sure I trust a lot of reviews on some types of products.

So, if anyone has one can you tell me please if it works well.

thanks. :)

Lara 12-10-2014 04:10 PM

Well, I bought my little round oven.
Haven't used it yet. I actually have read the instructions though as I'm a little wary of it but at least I'll have a temporary oven of some sort.

I'll post an update if it OK or not sometime just in case someone else here ever thinks of buying one.

Here is a photo of a similar one.
Sorry about the chicken in it . :o
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...psa1a9c32a.jpg

Lara 12-13-2014 07:30 PM

It didn't work. Adding it to the list of things that don't work or are broken. :)

Back to the shop it goes. I'll get another though.

The heat came on but no fan.

I guess I got the 1 in 5 products that are broken. :confused:

I bet if I'd kept the box I picked up it would have worked and our dinner last night would not have been delayed by 3 hours. My daughter got me to put the box I had down and got one that looked neater. LOL :D Too funny.

jprinz99 12-16-2014 10:07 AM

I used to own a countertop microwave/convection/mini oven appliance for years - loved it! It was large enough to hold a 5lb. chicken and 2-3 french bread pizzas. Was about the size of the smaller microwave ovens you see everywhere.

The only reason I no longer have it is a lightning strike took it and many other electrical items out of service.

Lara 12-24-2014 11:40 PM

I hope you had household insurance that covered the loss of your appliances.

Take 2. I exchanged the faulty one for a new one and it works really well. I just cooked heaps of roast vegetables in it. I wasn't sure how it would go, but it all turned out extremely well. phhew.

EnglishDave 01-25-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1114535)
Take 2. I exchanged the faulty one for a new one and it works really well. I just cooked heaps of roast vegetables in it. I wasn't sure how it would go, but it all turned out extremely well. phhew.

Lara,

They are called halogen ovens over here and I am taking the plunge. According to specs it uses half the power of my main fan oven and cooks in half the time. Looking forward to the results…

Dave.

Lara 01-25-2015 03:23 PM

That's it Dave. Halogen.

It is amazing. Mine was so inexpensive. It was on sale for only $39 AU. :o

I use it all the time. It's fast. It's easy to clean. It's economical.

I was a bit cautious in the beginning but now I'm more used to it. You just need to be really careful with the heavy lids. They heat up and need to go into a stand however whoever designed the stand didn't do a very good job ergonomically.

Let me know how it goes, please. :)

EnglishDave 02-01-2015 12:38 PM

Ok, so I got my halogen mini oven today half price in a sale for £38 with a 3 year warranty. My ex prepped a chicken for me (4lb) and it cooked perfectly in 1 hr 20 mins at half the wattage of my fan oven.
I'm impressed, my stand for the hot lid/heater is ok, but I cannot lift the bowl to clean so that is down to my ex - who does all that for me anyway. It has a self-cleaning suggestion which I will use.
These ovens could be the next must-have, I'm looking forward to trying other things in it.

Dave.

Lara 02-01-2015 03:47 PM

Hi Dave,
I'm glad you like it. I think they're super duper.

I don't know why I didn't have one before. :confused:

I didn't think to warn about the bowl.

They are very heavy although I find if I use a small and shallow baking dish instead of just using the racks it's very easy cleaning. On mine it says you can place aluminium foil on the base to keep it clean.

Enjoy! Just don't look at the light for too long. It's blinding and your eyes can do without that.

EnglishDave 02-01-2015 06:09 PM

Lara,
Great tips, I will definitely use them as we are on the learning curve. Can't wait for my youngest Daughter to come over and try baking in it with the silicone forms I bought before Christmas.

Dave.