NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Great Discomfort in the Lower Back and Buttocks (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/213331-discomfort-lower-buttocks.html)

thorx89 12-10-2014 05:16 AM

Great Discomfort in the Lower Back and Buttocks

Hi,

I think I may have bent my lower back forward too far while once (day before yesterday) trying to put my legs far behind my head (stupid, I know).

Anything I can do to relieve it or at least not exacerbate it and let it heal? I want to hit the gym today -- any exercises I should avoid (bending I suppose) or definitely do?
Any good links?

What's the physiology behind this? You think I may have bulged a disc or something?

supernova_krose 12-10-2014 07:16 PM

try PT

You could have just strained a muscle, but if pain persists try going to see a doctor for a diagnosis. There may be physical therapy that can help (massage, electrostim, just some gentle stretching) but it's best done with the help and advice of a professional. Self diagnosing and treating based on that could possibly make things worse. Something like ice and or/heat (whichever feels better) will likely not do any further damage, and should be safe even without a medical diagnosis.

Good luck,

Kay

thorx89 12-11-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supernova_krose (Post 1112255)
You could have just strained a muscle, but if pain persists try going to see a doctor for a diagnosis. There may be physical therapy that can help (massage, electrostim, just some gentle stretching) but it's best done with the help and advice of a professional. Self diagnosing and treating based on that could possibly make things worse. Something like ice and or/heat (whichever feels better) will likely not do any further damage, and should be safe even without a medical diagnosis.

Good luck,

Kay

Thanks, Kay. I once had some disc problems (had a CT scan) in the lumbar area about 7 years ago. A physical therapist showed me a couple of exercises I could do, and I started doing weight lifting too, and the problem completely disappeared. I'm afraid the excessive bending might have made it come back. :D

I'll see how I'll be doing in a couple of days. :)
Have a nice day!

thorx89 12-26-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supernova_krose (Post 1112255)

Good luck,

Kay

Good news. It completely went away after a week and a half! All I did to help it was review some core body exercises for good posture, swam somewhat, and took ice-cold showers. I'm also continuing to take a ton of stuff for a concussion I've been going through for the the past 5 months (vitams, minerals, fish oil, lion's mane mushroom, alpha gpc, phosphatidylserine, turmeric, etc.) -- I think it may have helped too if I had some pinch nerve and/or inflammation going on in there.

Once again, thanks for the advice!