NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases (https://www.neurotalk.org/autoimmune-diseases/)
-   -   New Treatment for Psoriasis (https://www.neurotalk.org/autoimmune-diseases/213349-treatment-psoriasis.html)

MelodyL 12-10-2014 02:21 PM

New Treatment for Psoriasis

Hi all.

Just wanted to share what Alan is now trying for his psoriasis. He's covered up to his face. We've tried the laser, (worked the first time) did nothing this time so we stopped.

Of course clobetasol did nothing so that's over. He can't keep taking prednisone for the rest of his life.

So I stumbled upon a product (don't laugh) on the internet called Toe Juice. Just google it and you'll learn all about it. They have many videos on youtube and that's why we decided to try it. It was ultimately developed 40 years ago for athlete's foot but it seemed to work on excema and other skin conditions and sometimes psoriasis so we are giving it a try.

In Alan's case, it's going down layer by layer. He had THICK lesions that would turn white and flake all over the place. This is a clear liquid that you just pour into your hands and just wipe it on wherever you have any skin problems. In Alan's case I just put it everywhere.

For 4 days now we have been doing this twice a day. It evaporates very quickly so in 30 seconds you put coco butter or shea butter all over.

All I can say is it's still too soon but I don't have any flakes on my couches anymore. The cocobutter moisturizes and the the Toe Juice, which contains Dermavine, well, it's still too soon to tell.

Believe me, I'll update if this stuff works. Because this is auto-immune and he's not a candidate for embrel or the other biologics, well, there is nothing left to try.

He's quite disgusted and says he looks like a leper. Can't blame him. Stress make sit works obviously.

So wish us luck and we'll see what happens.

Will update you all

Melody

MelodyL 01-08-2015 04:12 PM

Hi all. I'm back with a really good story. I also posted this on the Peripheral Neuropathy forum because it has to do with IVIG. Oh, the Toe Juice did NOTHING.

It's been about 7 years or so ago when Alan's neuro put him on IVIG for what she thought he might have that was causing his peripheral neuropathy. She said 'You might have CIDP so let's try IVIG". I remember asking her "will this help with the pain?" and she said "It just might". LIES!!

Anyway he did the IVIG for maybe two years or so every month. The nurse would come to the house, he'd be asleep for the whole thing and he's wake up and we really saw no progress so after two years it was stopped.

During the time BEFORE, Alan had developed psoriasis. Various little patches here and there and clobetasol took care of it.

Well!!! after the IVIG, and it began very slowly, his psoriasis began a flare up like you can't imagine. It got so bad that the clobetasol (and other topicals) failed to do a thing.

So he tried the laser at the dermatologist. Well!!! wonder of wonders, it cleared up completely. He used a compound cream twice a day and I could not believe it was ALL gone. He looked like a different man.

His doctor (our doctor) Dr. Fred said 'it will come back and when it does it will come back WITH A VENGEANCE" The dermatologist had said the same thing but what the heck did I know. I saw him with clear skin and I thought. Wow, we have a miracle here.

Slowly but sure it came back WITH A VENGEANCE, and Alan went back for the same laser treatment. IT DID NOTHING. Even Dr. Fred shook his head and said "oh Alan, you have some case going on here". We tried Lotions, change of diet, anti inflammatory this and that. I think he took steroids for a while and while that helped a bit, NOTHING really did anything.

Recently I looked up CAUSE OF PSORIASIS and I stumbled upon the info that it can be caused by a mutation of the Card 14 gene in a person's body.

So I said 'what the heck could have triggered this gene"? Oh, Alan has psoriatic arthritis also. BINGO!!!! LIGHTBULB MOMENT.

Earlier today I googled "Can IVIG cause psoriasis to get worse"?

The answers that came up on various forums was extremely informative. It seems that in some people yes indeed it does do that.

And then I said "wait a minute", all these treatments for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis well, they suppress the immune system. That's how they clear up the psoriasis.

So what did IVIG do? BOOST his immune system.

So in my humble opinion (very humble believe me), while IVIG can help many people, god forbid they have some gene for something because it can be a trigger. The neurologist at the time had to be brain dead to not tell us this.

Right now he looks like the creature from the black lagoon. It's THAT bad.

So we put lotion and we already knew he had a Vitamin D deficiency which has been rectified. and we have tried this and that. I even bought a product called Toe Juice off the internet because it was supposed to help exfoliate people with skin conditions. It did NOTHING.

And I went on youtube and typed in Severe Psoriasis, and there are people who use knives to scrape the scales off of their skin. I kid you not. And there is one guy who was put on a Clinical Trial of Stelara and OMG, when he stopped taking it (he had had psoriatic arthritis and a 10 percent case of psoriasis on his body), well after he stopped the Stelara, he developed 6 different types of psoriasis. They have a video of him up on youtube. He is so not well today. He is in bed. And his WHOLE body has 6 different types of psoriasis and Johnson and johnson won't answer his calls.

Last night I put lotion on his arm and wrapped it up in Saran Wrap because we saw a show on Dr. Oz and he said it would soften the scales. It did do that but so what? He just took a hot shower and I think he scared himself when he came out of the shower. Hot water makes it looks MUCH WORSE. All over his knees and thighs and calves. Thank god so far, not his face. He did have patches under his eye once but for whatever reason, they went away. I have never seen cases (like they show on youtube) of people with these skin conditions)

All comments are welcome, believe me. I wonder if stem cell therapy would work on people with psoriasis. I'm going to do some digging.

Melody

Stephie 02-12-2015 04:08 PM

I hear you on how frustrating psoriasis can be! I have it all over and, like your husband, also have a vitamin D deficiency, one that is less than half of where it should be. My nurse told me that that is a big contributor in the psoriasis factor, and when other patients of hers get their D up, their psoriasis disappears. Unfortunately, raising the D level takes a while, as you know, and I haven't been able to get it past 25 (partially due to the fact that I don't always remember to take my pills and largely due to the fact that I live up North!). Someone on these boards mentioned that there is a vitamin D cream, and I think I will try that next. Please keep us posted if anything does work for your husband!

MelodyL 02-12-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephie (Post 1123707)
I hear you on how frustrating psoriasis can be! I have it all over and, like your husband, also have a vitamin D deficiency, one that is less than half of where it should be. My nurse told me that that is a big contributor in the psoriasis factor, and when other patients of hers get their D up, their psoriasis disappears. Unfortunately, raising the D level takes a while, as you know, and I haven't been able to get it past 25 (partially due to the fact that I don't always remember to take my pills and largely due to the fact that I live up North!). Someone on these boards mentioned that there is a vitamin D cream, and I think I will try that next. Please keep us posted if anything does work for your husband!

Hi Stephie: Well the latest thing that he is doing twice a day is applying Cetaphil Cream on it. When he first started, I thought it was working. It's been a while now. When he gets out of the shower and dries off, he applies the cream. His patches are bright red after a shower. But one thing has happened. They don't turn white anymore (probably the cream). But he sheds all over the place. All I do is sweep sweep up those scales.

I don't think there is anything else left to try. We were told it gets worse during the winter time and tomorrow it's going to be below zero here in NY with the wind chill. He's not going out and thankfully we have heat but that doesn't make it change anything. At least he's applying cream so that's good for dry skin anyway.

Take care,

Melody

kiwi33 02-13-2015 11:33 PM

Hi MelodyL

A couple of thoughts:

I stumbled upon the info that it can be caused by a mutation of the Card 14 gene in a person's body.

Abnormal forms of the protein coded for by the CARD14 gene have been linked to psoriasis. These proteins are expressed on various kinds of skin cells. There is a very technical but free-access account of this work here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22521418 .

I wonder if stem cell therapy would work on people with psoriasis.

My understanding of current biomedical knowledge suggests that stem cell therapy would not be effective for people with psoriasis. It can be effective for people with some blood cell cancers (it is called a bone marrow transplant in this context).

What is done for these patients is to treat them with a very high dose of a chemotherapeutic, which will kill all of the stem cells in the bone marrow which make blood cells (including those which make the cancerous blood cells).

A bone marrow transplant from a healthy donor will supply healthy stem cells which will make healthy blood cells.

As far as I know there is not yet any way of doing the equivalent for people with CARD14 mutations - there is no current way of selectively killing the various kinds of skin cells which make the abnormal form of CARD14 and replacing them with healthy skin cells.

Apologies if this is a bit technical.

DejaVu 07-23-2015 12:47 AM

Hi Melody,

I also have psoriatic arthritis and skin psoriasis.
My skin psoriasis is very limited, so far, to my elbow and a couple of nails.
I am very lucky, I know.

Many people with moderate to severe skin psoriasis (Ps) are reporting amazing results with a 1:1 mixture of (liquid) glycerin and alcohol-free witch hazel. They mix this solution, place it in a spray bottle and spray it on 3-4 times a day. This is the most popular CAM approach right now. Many excellent testimonials to this approach.

Others are doing a similar mixture with raw apple cider vinegar and glycerin at the same 1:1 mix.

Some are very happy with the skin healing they are getting from applying coconut oil directly to the Ps lesions.

Many swear by a paleo diet.

Many meds used for psoriatic arthritis (PsA) tend to aggravate the skin Ps.
These can include NSAIDs, Plaquenil and others.

I have not been around NeuroTalk for awhile, so I don't know what Alan has tried. The remedies I have mentioned above are some of the newest and "greatest" natural approaches within a large international group of people living with Ps and PsA.

There is a new med people like. it is not a "biologic" type, it is called Otezla.
Many swear it clears up their skin well.

I hope I have mentioned something helpful.

To Our Healing,
DejaVu

MelodyL 07-24-2015 11:56 PM

Hi there.

Alan has used it all. Had the laser thing done twice. Worked the first time. Did nothing the second time. We have tried every cream on the market and some that are NOT on the market.

Nothing works. If he is stressed it comes out even more. Since he has neuropathy pain all the time, that is his stressor.

Nothing to be done. Some times its a bit better, sometimes I find scales all over the place.

Ah well. Thanks much for replying and trying to help.

Mel

Lara 07-25-2015 01:14 AM

Mel, I have heard anecdotally of good results for psoriasis with application of topical Hemp Seed Oil.

kiwi33 07-25-2015 02:07 AM

Adding to what Lara wrote, there is some evidence that cannabinoids can help; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17157480 .

MelodyL 07-25-2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1157542)
Mel, I have heard anecdotally of good results for psoriasis with application of topical Hemp Seed Oil.

Tried hemp seed oil. Did nothing. It was from a reputable supplier too. I really had high hopes then. Did nothing.

But as soon as something new comes out, we try it. Alan won't go near the biologics because of side effects and therr is s guy on youtube who tried Humira (I think it wad that one) but when he went off it, he developed all six variations iof psoriasis. That has never happened before
I saw the guy's bio on youtube. OMG

melody

DejaVu 07-25-2015 04:02 PM

Hi Melody,

My heart goes out to Alan.

I had gotten those potential remedies from a psoriasis organization forum, where many people are having great results.

Many had tried the prescription drugs and get a much better result with witch hazel (no alcohol) and glycerin, in a topical spray. Others are having first time remarkable results with coconut oil. Amazing.

There is also a group reporting impressive results with Vitamin K2 (MK-7), in addition to restricted diets.

I am sorry Alan's Ps has not responded well to the many approaches he has tried in an effort to heal. :(

There is a very "spirited" group of people suffering with Ps and PsA at the forum associated with the National Psoriasis Foundation. Many have not found adequate relief for years and they keep on trying. Some have found combinations of regimens helpful. There is a large and active group dedicated to CAM approaches, as well.

Here's hoping Alan gets relief soon.

My best to both of you!

To Our Healing,
DejaVu

vikrambatra884 08-18-2015 02:04 AM

I got scalp psoriasis on my face from few months, any treatment for this?

DejaVu 08-18-2015 11:00 PM

Hi Vikrambatra884,

Welcome to NeuroTalk! :D
Please make yourself at home here.

As for your question, I'm assuming you have been diagnosed with scalp psoriasis? This then spread to your face?

There are many approaches one may use to try to heal the psoriasis.

You may call your doctor and obtain a prescription cream.

You may try an alternative method, like those mentioned above. :)

I hope this helps.

Again, welcome to NeuroTalk!

DejaVu

ger715 08-19-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikrambatra884 (Post 1163542)
I got scalp psoriasis on my face from few months, any treatment for this?

I have been dealing with some scaling on my face; especially forehead and hairline/scalp. The dermatologist I saw diagnosed this as Seborrheic/Seborrhea Dermatitis.

I also have been dealing with some eruptions on my shoulders which the doctor said were second cousin to Psoriasis. My elbows have some scaling as well. The doctor said this was Psoriasis. My dermatologist says; "all of these issues are either Psoriasis or 2nd cousin to Psoriasis.

I was prescribed Promiseb which is a topical cream for my face (use daily) and can be used for shoulders, as well as elbows.
The doctor also told me to use Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo once or twice a week to control the scaling for the hairline/head. This has improved these issues; but is something that will likely be ongoing.

Dermarest Psoriasis Mediated Treatment Gel has helped limit the shoulder and elbow issues, as well as the Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Moisturizer (both of these can be purchased at Walmart). I use these two every evening before bedtime. These have improved my issues; but will need to be used daily as well.

Not sure if this info will be helpful; but thought it might be worth looking into.

Gerry

DejaVu 08-19-2015 03:20 PM

Psoriasis Topicals and Shampoos

Hi ger715 and vikrambatra,

I don't know what I was thinking when I had last posted. I think I was tired and had forgotten to mention these products/approaches. :o

Earlier in the thread, I had mentioned some "natural" remedies being reported as very helpful to many with skin psoriasis. Large groups of people are finding the natural topicals (noted earlier in the thread) as very helpful.

My scalp is always threatening to flare. I've been able to keep that under control by rotating a shampoo formulation named MG217 and Nizoral shampoo, along with a very gentle shampoo. This rotation of these shampoos helps me more than the VERY expensive prescribed shampoos.

(Both are OTC. I had read an article quite some time ago , written by a dermatologist, suggesting these two type of products be rotated to keep the scalp in check. MG217 is a lightly scented coal tar shampoo. Nizoral shampoo contains Nizoral, which is an anti-yeast medication.)

MG217 products in general -- shampoos, creams and gels -- are recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation and this in on the bottles of MG217 bottles. If one is looking for an OTC product, the MG217 products are suggested at the NPF site.

Another OTC product, most healing for my elbow psoriasis is: Psoriasin Gel.
This is also an OTC recommendation made on the official NPF site.
The dermatologist has suggested rotating the OTC Psoriasin Gel with a topical (prescribed) triamcinolone acetonide USP 0.1% ointment (a weak steroidal ointment).

These are relatively low-cost approaches, compared to most prescribed new formulations for psoriasis.

A prescribed scalp treatment I use on rare occasions, when things are flaring more: betamethasone valerate lotion USP, 0.1% (on scalp). This puts the fire out, right away.

This approach would not be adequate for someone covered with skin psoriasis.
This approach is an approach for people with mild scalp issues and/or small areas of psoriasis-- like elbows, etc.

Geri, the Dermarest formulations sound very interesting! Thanks for mentioning those, along with mention of the prescribed cream you use.
I will check them out. :)

As for prescribed topicals and shampoos, there are so many available, it gets confusing. In my case, the OTC approaches are working well enough at this time. :)

Many people will suggest tea tree oil shampoo. This is usually okay to use once a week, as it's usually very drying to the hair and scalp and using it more often may aggravate the scalp.

I have found various medications often set off a scalp flare. My scalp will feel like it's on fire and it all goes quickly downhill from there. I have to stop the offending medication immediately.

To Our Comfort and Healing,
DejaVu

Wiix 08-19-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephie (Post 1123707)

This may mean something, it may not.

I had an uncle who had it. He'd go through periods of remission. I remember when he was in remission he had a tan. He'd sit outside in the sun everyday for an hour sometimes longer but he always had a tan. Another thing he did was turkey. Yep, raw turkey meat right on his skin. He did this everyday and it really helped him. Not turkey loaf but real turkey meat. He always had a turkey, uncooked, in various stages in his refrigerator. He was doing this for years and it really helped.

DejaVu 08-19-2015 03:56 PM

Vitamin D -- Good Point!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiix (Post 1164114)

I had an uncle who had it. He'd go through periods of remission. I remember when he was in remission he had a tan. He'd sit outside in the sun everyday for an hour sometimes longer but he always had a tan. Another thing he did was turkey. Yep, raw turkey meat right on his skin. He did this everyday and it really helped him. Not turkey loaf but real turkey meat. He always had a turkey, uncooked, in various stages in his refrigerator. He was doing this for years and it really helped.

Hi Wiix,

Great point! Important point!
An adequate Vitamin D level is important in skin psoriasis (Ps) and in psoriatic arthritis (PsA).

Interesting -- your uncle and the raw turkey. I don't know what to make of it. :confused: Someone may know? :winky:

It takes a village, as they say!

:hug:
DejaVu

Wiix 08-19-2015 04:00 PM

Everyone benefits from the sun. :winky:

MelodyL 08-19-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiix (Post 1164114)

I can only imagine Alan's reaction if I told him he should use raw Turkey meat on his psoriasis. First, I would have to buy tons of Turkey because he has it all over his body. Sure, a patch would disappear but then it would be bad on his elbows. Right now it's his elbows and his knees. But rarely, and I mean rarely does it go on his face. I wonder why? Something about facial skin? His bottom legs are horrendous. God only knows why this man has all these things.

Melody

Wiix 08-19-2015 04:26 PM

Try it on the worst areas, can't hurt. It'll take some time to work on test areas. Frozen turkeys are always available. :winky:

But, the sun is the most important element of this treatment. Even if he sits at a window with the panes up. Has to be unfiltered sunlight.

DejaVu 08-19-2015 04:46 PM

Koebner Phenomenon in Psoriasis

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 1164142)
I can only imagine Alan's reaction if I told him he should use raw Turkey meat on his psoriasis. First, I would have to buy tons of Turkey because he has it all over his body. Sure, a patch would disappear but then it would be bad on his elbows. Right now it's his elbows and his knees. But rarely, and I mean rarely does it go on his face. I wonder why? Something about facial skin? His bottom legs are horrendous. God only knows why this man has all these things.

Melody

((((( Alan )))))
It's a very tough road to have a large percentage of skin surface affected by psoriasis.

Other than my scalp, which I have been able to keep from a full flare so far (fingers crossed), I get it where the skin has been injured and/or stressed. Elbows. I get it if/when a surgeon cuts me for a procedure, on the incision site. This is called "koebner phenomenon" or "koebner effect."

Koebner phenomenon:

http://psoriasis.about.com/od/preven...nerization.htm

A sunburn can also set off a psoriasis flare.
Any type of trauma to the skin can set off a flare of psoriasis.

:grouphug:
DejaVu

MelodyL 08-20-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiix (Post 1164144)
Try it on the worst areas, can't hurt. It'll take some time to work on test areas. Frozen turkeys are always available. :winky:

But, the sun is the most important element of this treatment. Even if he sits at a window with the panes up. Has to be unfiltered sunlight.

Hi. I ran this whole Turkey thing by him. You would not believe the look he gave me. Alan can only sit in the sun for rare times, he's very sensitive.

He sits by a window but we keep them closed and put the a/c.

He never had psoriasis this bad until the stress of dealing with our son got so bad it triggered his body inflammation. That's the only thing I can think of.

He NEVER had it like this and I'm married to the guy for 36 years.

I believe all these auto immune things are triggered by SOMETHING, whether it's toxic environment, stress, WHATEVER.

In my husband's case I believe it is what our son put us through.

And it happened to me too.

About 20 years ago I went through a thing with my bladder which drove me absolutely crazy. I thought I had infections, whatever. I had all the symptoms. I went to urologist, gynocologists, took trans vaginal sonos, all kinds of urine tests, cystoscopies, whatever. This was over a 4 year period. It was also the time that we had to do Tough Love with our son who was driving us bonkers. Took a toll on the both of us.

Every test was negative. What were my symptoms?. I had the urge to pee. Morning, noon and night, I had this urge. I peed just fine, I had no discoloration, no burning, no nothing, just the constant urge down there, like my whole area was in one big spasm. I remember asking one urologist "Could I possibly have Interstitial Cystitis?" I had looked that one up to. He looked at me and said "Oh my god, of course you don't have that".

Imagine living this way for 4 years. How did it end? I will never forget this. Oh, I used hot packs, (that would help) but it lasted on and off (mostly on) for about 4 years.

I remember asking my doctor at the time, "can't you give me some muscle relaxer?" so he prescribed SOMA. Never forget this as long as I live.

I never even took the darn thing. I placed the bottle on the top of the toilet tank next to my box of tissues and the plan was to take one pill before I went to bed. I was taking a hot shower. I was looking at the Soma saying to myself "maybe TONIGHT I'll get some relief'. As I was under the hot shower, my whole bottom of my body went into a release like I could not imagine. The bladder area DE-SPASM'D for want of a better word.

I could not believe it. I just stayed under that hot shower for as long as i could and it felt marvelous.

That horrible condition never came back. Thank god. I do get leg and ankle spasms upon awakening but I just got Morton Eptom Lotion in the mail yesterday and began using it according to Mrs. D's instructions.

Time will tell.

But I will never forget those 4 years and what stress can do to us.

Melody

MelodyL 08-20-2015 11:47 AM

Hi.

I have to tell you something that happened this morning (it's not off/topic and it pertains to being exposed to stuff).

I ran into a gal that I know. She's usually very healthy, about 45 (looks fabulous), is happily married with no children. She also works as an accountant.

I noticed that she put on a few pounds but of course said nothing other than "you look great", which she really did.

After I said "what's cooking?" she said "I've been having problems. I'm severely anemic (to which I chimed up) are you taking B-12? and she looked at me and said OMG, absolutely I went to GNC and I take 1000. and I said ""Listen to me, if I know one thing, it's what kind of B-12 people should take. It's called Methyl B-12 and began telling her what I took and what I learned. She said OMG, I never knew that, my doctor never told me that, he just said 'go to GNC and get some B-12". I told her where I got mine and then I looked at her neck. She said 'I'm having thyroid problems" I said 'That's a goiter right' She said 'how did you know?" I said "my father had that and he had it removed and he was fine. You have an underactive thyroid right?" She said 'yes, I put on 10 lbs". I said "well you know why and you'll get that removed and you'll be fine' She was her happy go lucky self and then I said "I wish you well". She then said:

"Well, they found a lump in my breast and I'm having it out next week"

I then looked at her and I said "OMG, you definitely are being exposed to SOMETHING because all these conditions hit you all at once, what are you exposed to, do you have any idea?" and she said :

"You better believe I know what I'm exposed to, everybody in my workplace smokes". I just looked at her and said 'OH"

I mean what the heck was I supposed to say?:

Jeez.

Anyway, I told her to read up on the Methyl B-12 before she buys any, I explained how the ones in GNC is cyano and that the body has to convert it to Methyl B-12 and it's just better to start with the Methyl B12.

I hugged her.

So in her case, I think environment plays a key part in her developing all these medical conditions.

Wiix 08-20-2015 04:53 PM

I know my uncle had to take the sun in small incriments when he started.

First 5 minutes for the first few days, then increased it to 10 for a few days up to 15. Maybe your Alan should consider this. Do you live in a tropical zone? I say this only because it worked so well for my uncle. He was Finnish and fair skinned.

DejaVu 08-20-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 1164399)
Hi.

I have to tell you something that happened this morning (it's not off/topic and it pertains to being exposed to stuff).

I ran into a gal that I know. She's usually very healthy, about 45 (looks fabulous), is happily married with no children. She also works as an accountant.

I noticed that she put on a few pounds but of course said nothing other than "you look great", which she really did.

After I said "what's cooking?" she said "I've been having problems. I'm severely anemic (to which I chimed up) are you taking B-12? and she looked at me and said OMG, absolutely I went to GNC and I take 1000. and I said ""Listen to me, if I know one thing, it's what kind of B-12 people should take. It's called Methyl B-12 and began telling her what I took and what I learned. She said OMG, I never knew that, my doctor never told me that, he just said 'go to GNC and get some B-12". I told her where I got mine and then I looked at her neck. She said 'I'm having thyroid problems" I said 'That's a goiter right' She said 'how did you know?" I said "my father had that and he had it removed and he was fine. You have an underactive thyroid right?" She said 'yes, I put on 10 lbs". I said "well you know why and you'll get that removed and you'll be fine' She was her happy go lucky self and then I said "I wish you well". She then said:

"Well, they found a lump in my breast and I'm having it out next week"

I then looked at her and I said "OMG, you definitely are being exposed to SOMETHING because all these conditions hit you all at once, what are you exposed to, do you have any idea?" and she said :

"You better believe I know what I'm exposed to, everybody in my workplace smokes". I just looked at her and said 'OH"

I mean what the heck was I supposed to say?:

Jeez.

Anyway, I told her to read up on the Methyl B-12 before she buys any, I explained how the ones in GNC is cyano and that the body has to convert it to Methyl B-12 and it's just better to start with the Methyl B12.

I hugged her.

So in her case, I think environment plays a key part in her developing all these medical conditions.

I'm saddened people are not protected from second-hand smoke at work. :(
Any indoor smoking at work places here is illegal and most companies frown upon employees smoking at all, even on their time away from work.

Melody, it must have felt rewarding to be able to help your friend by educating her. :)

DejaVu

Neuroproblem 08-24-2015 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1164579)
I'm saddened people are not protected from second-hand smoke at work. :(
Any indoor smoking at work places here is illegal and most companies frown upon employees smoking at all, even on their time away from work.

Melody, it must have felt rewarding to be able to help your friend by educating her. :)

DejaVu

Now there is evidence of 3rd hand smoke, basically its the lingering smoke/chemicals that stick to other peoples clothes and then you breathe those in.

DejaVu 08-24-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuroproblem (Post 1165429)
Now there is evidence of 3rd hand smoke, basically its the lingering smoke/chemicals that stick to other peoples clothes and then you breathe those in.

Hi Neuroproblem,

Makes sense to me. Clothing full of smoke makes me feel very ill. If hubby and I happen to get exposed to smoke, we cannot rest until showered and clothing is washed. It's a chore if it happens at an evening affair and we get home late. Then, we each shower, tie the clothing up in plastic bags, toss the bags in the garage and wash them in the morning. :winky:

DejaVu

MelodyL 08-24-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1165559)
Hi Neuroproblem,

Makes sense to me. Clothing full of smoke makes me feel very ill. If hubby and I happen to get exposed to smoke, we cannot rest until showered and clothing is washed. It's a chore if it happens at an evening affair and we get home late. Then, we each shower, tie the clothing up in plastic bags, toss the bags in the garage and wash them in the morning. :winky:

DejaVu

I just don't get it. I know it's addictive. I get that part. But I was outside of a hospital once and I saw doctors coming out and smoking. I went up to one female doctor and she saw the inquisitive look on my face and she said 'Yeah, I know, you want to know why I smoke?" I said "I'm not being rude but you do know what you do know, do you not?" She said "Yeah, but the last time I stopped smoking I put on 25 lbs, and I'd rather have cancer than be fat".

Now what response could I have possibly made? I had no answer. I thanked her for her explanation and left to get my bus.

And I went to a funeral of my friend who died at 53 from cancer that spread all over and outside many of our friends were smoking. I walked up one of them and said "She's inside (well, you know what followed)

Do you know my friend looked at me, started to shake and said "I can't talk about, I'm scared enough".

And I presently know someone who is about 57, has had two different types of cancer and STILL smokes.

Can't be in denial, she's had two types of cancer.

So what the heck is in this cigarette that has all these people smoking? It must be a chemical reaction in their brain that makes them feel that they are invincible???

Mel

P.S. My mother smoked, my father smoked, her sisters and brothers smoked. I do not, nor have I ever smoked. But when I was 26, the doctor was listening to my chest, looked at me and said "How long have you smoked"? I looked at him and said 'What the H are you talking about I don't smoke". He said 'Oh, everybody around you smokes right?" I said "yeah", He said 'you have the lungs of a smoker" He then said 'As soon as you are able, get away from these people and don't be around anyone who smokes'. Thankfully, my parents moved to Florida and I got an apartment and no one has ever smoked in my apartment nor do I go near anyone who smokes. But this whole 3rd hand smoke has me concerned because I DO know people who smoke (and they know not to smoke around me).

DejaVu 08-24-2015 07:39 PM

Smoking Possible Trigger for Psoriasis and other Conditions

Hi Melody! :D

Smoking is often listed as a possible trigger for Psoriasis.

Smoking is sometimes considered a trigger for the onset of some other chronic illnesses, beyond respiratory illnesses and/or cancers.

Many people in my family smoke, too, even though there are a lot of asthma and allergies. We have seen grandparents die from smoking-related illnesses, as well. I am watching my brother, in his mid-50's, trying to navigate his life with rather serious COPD (he has not been able to quit smoking). I am sad and I know he is also sad it's gone this far. :(

As far as I can see, it's truly a serious addiction, often very tough to break. :(
While I cannot tolerate the smoke, I have deep compassion for anyone addicted to smoking. I've read the addiction is as tough to break as an addiction to heroine. I watch siblings trying hard to quit and then relapse again. Breaks my heart to see them very seriously want to quit and unable to overcome this addiction. This has to be a very strong/serious addiction.

My heart goes out ~

Hugs Sweet Lady!
:hug:
DejaVu

MelodyL 08-24-2015 09:28 PM

Hi.

Thankfully Alan quit smoking over 35 years ago. What was his reason? He was an insurance investigator and he was reviewing death claims and they all had one thing in common. People were dying of smoking. His brain had a light bulb moment and he quit.

I believe the stuff they put in cigarettes now is much stronger than what people smoked back in the day.

But isn't eating the wrong stuff also an addiction? I used to be really big back in the day. Never saw myself as such. I just continued to eat.

But when I got my light bulb moment was when I LEARNED what food does to the body. What sugar does, what saturated fat does.

I got into eating healthfully and never looked back. Honestly it took me to be in my 50's but after that I had no problem.

I sit with people at Dunkin and watch them eat Ice Cream Sundaes and all those donuts and the first thing that pops into my mind is 'OMG, All that sugar, all that fat, it clogs the arteries" I don't know why I didn't think like that years ago but I didn't.

I view food as fuel, not as feeding my heart. Maybe that's why I lost the weight and continue to sprout and eat my greens and eat protein.

I happen to enjoy this. Haven't met too many people who think of food in that fashion. I guess I got really lucky.

And I haven't drunk ( is that a word? lol) any kind of soda in over 10 years. Probably more than that.

I buy an item called True Lemonade and I get their True Raspberry Lemonade and that's what we have been drinking in this house for years.

It's just crystalized lemons or oranges, sweetened with Stevia.

I actually dilute it so one packet makes 4 quarts. Saves a lot of soda money, believe me.

I don't think I could drink anything carbonated if I tried.

Add some ice and you have the most delicious drink.

Anyway, I guess we are what our genetics make us. Thankfully I was able to stop the sugar and cold cuts and ice cream. Now I go nuts for kale, bok choy and my sprout salads.

rofl.

Melody

DejaVu 08-24-2015 10:17 PM

Best Wishes for Tomorrow!

Hi Melody,

I was getting ready for bed and realized I had not wished you and Alan well for tomorrow!

I hope and pray all goes well! :hug:

Yes, I feel eating the wrong food is an addiction for many people. I know certain (wrong foods) calm me, comfort me, etc. Foods can be used like any drug and can addictive. You do a great job of helping to raise consciousness about the importance of sound nutrition! :D

I feel good nutrition is a critical component to potentially healing any chronic illness and to possibly preventing more.

Love and Prayers for tomorrow! :hug:

DejaVu

MelodyL 03-14-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1157546)
Adding to what Lara wrote, there is some evidence that cannabinoids can help; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17157480 .

Just wanted to update all of you on what we are now trying (for his psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis).

I took a photo of his leg last week, and took a photo of his leg today. I see no difference. Let me tell you what we are trying. Glenn has told me not to expect miracles, that doing this TAKES TIME. I completely understand. First let me tell you what we are doing, THEN I will tell you one change that I noticed.

His diet. Took him off all nightshade foods. Today is day 7 of his anti-inflammatory diet. While he doesn't have BAD psoriatic arthritis, one of his fingers is a bit swollen. He's had this last year when he went to the hospital for whatever it was (he had so many things wrong, can't name it all) but he had some cellulitis going on in his toe and I THOUGHT that was why his finer was so swollen and red and warm.

This week (the weather is nuts outside) his finger is swollen, not red and not hot but he can't bend it and I have to cut up his food sometimes. But he took an advil and he's okay. We see urologist on Wednesday for another matter.

Now let's get back to his diet. I have been doing a lot of reading on Omega 3's. When Alan got the stent about 9 or so years ago, because he had coronary artery disease, I took him off of all fat completely. So essentially no fats or oils or whatever. Then I learned about essential fatty acids, etc.

Now Alan has never been one to eat like me, eat sprouts, microgreens, extra virgin coconut oil, etc. etc. Couldn't get him to come around.

Not that he was eating like a horse but the guy would go and buy ice cream from Baskin Robbins and he would like his chips and his popcorn and he wouldn't go near a sprout salad if his life depended on it.

Last week I took the bull by the horns and said "Listen, we have tried everything on your psoriasis and nothing is working (all his skin was flaking on all my furniture, as if it were going through a cycle). I read up on this. This happened all the time.

So I took away all cereal, grains, nightshade, eggplant, tomates, whatever foods I read that were inflammatory. I also ground up my flax seeds and gave him a teaspoon a day (I just put it in his food). I also gave him a handful of walnuts every day. Read up on Flax and walnuts as an excellent source of Omega 3. I also have Extra virgin Organic Coconut oil in the house so for dinner, whatever I was cooking, (let's say my home grown greens, with bok choy and my pea shoots) instead of using any other oil, I would just add a bit of extra virgin coconut oil and cook the greens in that. I will say it has the most delicious flavor I have ever had. We do this every night. I just cooked some chicken in it. I added ginger, minced onions, some garlic, some paprika, some curry. no salt at all, and you can't taste the lack of sodium. He has always been on low sodium because of his menieres.

Anyway, for whatever reason, he has been eating my sprouts. He puts horseradish on it. I could NEVER eat horseradish, but LOVES it.

Every night now he asks for a sprout salad and he did some reading and he now says "I need my body to be alkaline" I said 'I've been telling you this for 10 years". He then said 'Well now I'm listening"

He either puts extra virgin olive oil, or his horseradish on the salad. It's just microgreens (broccoli, radish, fenugreek and whatever greens I'm growing)

He absolutely now wants sprouts or microgreens every single day. It's like his body NEEDS this food.

I also give him one egg and two egg whites (with greens) for breakfast. I add some onions, and he puts a dash of ketchup. He won't eat any egg without SOME ketchup. That's the only time he does this. But no ice cream, no sugar in anything else, nothing with vegetable oil, no soy. I'm trying to go as anti-inflammatory as I can go.

So this is what I noticed about his psoriasis. While the patches have not changed, what DID change is that his skin is not turning white and flaking off. It's been only a week. I have no idea what this means but I wanted to share it. I read on some website that one guy thinks there is no such thing as auto-immune. He says 'Everything is caused by a deficiency and if you ever had the Epstein Barre Virus, it is still in your system and THAT's why you get these things"

When Alan was around 35 or so he came down with a virus, that landed him in isolation and he was home for 3 months, after he came home from the hospital. They never gave it a name. I remember his medical records and I saw they named it 'Fever of Unknown Origin".

Maybe THAT is what has been lying dormant in his body and caused the Peripheral Neuropathy, Psoriasis, and Psoriatic Arthritis. I have no idea.

All I can do is try and get his immune system to not be in over drive, trying to get the psoriasis to calm down and trying to get his psoriatic arthritis to calm down also.

I read that if a person has psoriasis, that person will usually have psoriatic arthritis also.

So I am doing all I can do in that regard.

If what we are doing is the KEY to his stuff, I wonder how long until we know that "yes indeed, it IS what we put into our bodies"

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks much

Melody

ger715 03-14-2016 09:33 PM

Melody,
I can only comment on the relationship between psoriasis and psoriatic Arthritis.

Both of my husband's adult daughter and adult son had psoriasis for several years. About 5 or 6 years ago her fingers started swelling; especially her "little finger"was almost always in a permanent painful swelling . She went to a specialist dealing with Arthritis. He put her on a daily dose of Celebrex. She has been on it for the past 5 years. It has been helping her and she was able to get back to playing tennis. I don't remember what his son is taking for his psoriatic arthritis. Evidently there is definitely a relationship between the two.

Gerry

MelodyL 03-15-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ger715 (Post 1204362)
Melody,
I can only comment on the relationship between psoriasis and psoriatic Arthritis.

Both of my husband's adult daughter and adult son had psoriasis for several years. About 5 or 6 years ago her fingers started swelling; especially her "little finger"was almost always in a permanent painful swelling . She went to a specialist dealing with Arthritis. He put her on a daily dose of Celebrex. She has been on it for the past 5 years. It has been helping her and she was able to get back to playing tennis. I don't remember what his son is taking for his psoriatic arthritis. Evidently there is definitely a relationship between the two.

Gerry

Hi Gerry:

Alan took Celebrex many years ago. Landed him in intensive care, they thought he had Rocky Mountain spotted fever, almost killed him. He was covered from head to toe in spots. His face blew up, his whole body blew up. They moved him to quarantine. The hazmat people came in wearing their hazmat suits. I tried telling them "HE TOOK CELEBREX, GIVE HIM BENEDRYL". No one listened to me. They were examining him, etc. etc. Guess what? After 6 days, the doctor walked in (after NUMEROUS blood tests that came out as if he had no calcium in his body and the doctor scratched his head and said "this is nonsense, if he had no calcium in his body, he'd be dead", we think it's an allergic reaction to the celebrex and we are giving him benedryl". Whenever we go to doctors or to the hospital, as soon as they ask him "What are you allergic to?" he says "Celebrex, sulfites, sulfa drugs, bird urine.l...yeah, that's right, anything with urea".

And guess what I've been reading up on "What can possibly cause psoriasis and how to treat it" and you will never guess what is up on youtube'. There are videos with people feeling that all these things are actually caused by the Candida Albicans. They even show you how to test your body for candida. You wake up in the morning, take a half glass of water, spit into it and watch and see how your spit looks in 45 minutes. You do this for 6 days. If the spit sinks or has legs, you are full of yeast. So guess what we are doing tomorrow morning??? you got it.

Oh, one more thing. The same people who say it's all from yeast (they say ALL diseases come from fungi of which yeast is..... they feel that a few drops of H202 Food grade hydrogen peroxide, taken in distilled water, will kill and eliminate all candida from the body. there is so much info on this on the internet, I don't know what to believe. I do know that food grade is completely different from the little brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide we all have in the house. They are saying use the 3 percent food grade hydrogen peroxide but be very careful. Just a drop or two in a quart of distilled water. I'm still trying to gather info on exactly what the ratio is and if anyone knows or has tried this to get rid of whatever is ailing you, I'd love to hear it. I believe Alan has all this yeast in his gut and being on the diet he is now on is very good, it will take a long time. If this H202 is for real, well, we're not doing it yet, but I am taking this very seriously. Will update if anything on his body changes. Believe me, I will tell you all. Take care

kiwi33 03-15-2016 06:45 PM

" a few drops of H202 Food grade hydrogen peroxide, taken in distilled water, will kill and eliminate all candida from the body"

I am not sure that this would be of much benefit.

Hydrogen peroxide is produced in the body by natural processes. It can be toxic through production of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS). ROS can lead to oxidative damage to body cells. Because of this it is rapidly broken down into water and oxygen by a body enzyme called catalase.

MelodyL 03-15-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1204509)
" a few drops of H202 Food grade hydrogen peroxide, taken in distilled water, will kill and eliminate all candida from the body"

I am not sure that this would be of much benefit.

Hydrogen peroxide is produced in the body by natural processes. It can be toxic through production of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS). ROS can lead to oxidative damage to body cells. Because of this it is rapidly broken down into water and oxygen by a body enzyme called catalase.

Let me ask you a question. Why are there people on youtube who swear by this stuff (food grade Hydrogen Peroxide)? I mean, one guy said 'people, my psoriasis was completely gone in one week", go and buy this stuff but take care, your body has to get used to it. Don't over do it. Start with a few drops".

I watched this video, then went online and found out all the negative stuff about it.

Actually I am so confused right now, I don't know what to think.

Thanks much

Melody

kiwi33 03-15-2016 11:33 PM

Melody, hydrogen peroxide is sometimes used as a disinfectant because it is a strong oxidising agent. Some people use it to treat skin wounds because it may kill bacteria in those wounds. This is controversial - the third page in this link discusses this; http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/456300.

I don't know whether or not it, applied to the skin, may help with psoriasis - a PubMed search does not say much either way. This articles is interesting - it suggests that manuka honey (a good NZ product!) may help with psoriasis, possibly because it can produce hydrogen peroxide; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24305429.

I doubt that taking a small amount (a few mL; taking more could be toxic) of hydrogen peroxide by mouth will be of any use, for two reasons. It will rapidly get diluted into the ~30-40 litres of water in the human body to the extent that it will have no effect. Also, it will rapidly be inactivated by catalase, which is a very active enzyme; one molecule of it can break down five million molecules of hydrogen peroxide every minute

MelodyL 03-16-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1204562)
Melody, hydrogen peroxide is sometimes used as a disinfectant because it is a strong oxidising agent. Some people use it to treat skin wounds because it may kill bacteria in those wounds. This is controversial - the third page in this link discusses this; http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/456300.

I don't know whether or not it, applied to the skin, may help with psoriasis - a PubMed search does not say much either way. This articles is interesting - it suggests that manuka honey (a good NZ product!) may help with psoriasis, possibly because it can produce hydrogen peroxide; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24305429.

I doubt that taking a small amount (a few mL; taking more could be toxic) of hydrogen peroxide by mouth will be of any use, for two reasons. It will rapidly get diluted into the ~30-40 litres of water in the human body to the extent that it will have no effect. Also, it will rapidly be inactivated by catalase, which is a very active enzyme; one molecule of it can break down five million molecules of hydrogen peroxide every minute

You make a lot of sense. Thanks much. Went to the urologist today and I told him all about the diet we are doing. The Anti-Candida diet. I said that I thought THAT was causing all of Alan's skin problems. He looked at me and said 'You got that right". I just looked at him. So we purchased good probiotics (anti-candida diets say to use this). So together with my sprouts and greens that I grow and no refined sugars of any kind (thank god this man likes my sprouts), and probiotics, we shall see eventually if we are on the good road.

Believe me, if this doesn't work, nothing will because we have tried it. Except for those biologics which he won't go near because when we listen to the commercials and they go into all the side effects, Alan would yell at the tv "I'd rather have psoriasis".

So we shall see. Thanks much

Melody

kiwi33 03-16-2016 09:41 PM

Melody, sprouts and greens are great foods and avoiding refined sugar is also a good plan. Probiotics could help as well.

A thought about manuka honey; I use it topically whenever I have a skin lesion which looks infected - it works for me.

It is something that Alan could consider for his psoriasis (the link that I posted above suggests that it can help). You might be able to buy it from a health food shop. One things to watch out for is how pure it is - this is usually based on counting the pollen grains in it - manuka pollen has a characteristic shape - a quality product will tell you about this.

MelodyL 03-17-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1204704)
Melody, sprouts and greens are great foods and avoiding refined sugar is also a good plan. Probiotics could help as well.

A thought about manuka honey; I use it topically whenever I have a skin lesion which looks infected - it works for me.

It is something that Alan could consider for his psoriasis (the link that I posted above suggests that it can help). You might be able to buy it from a health food shop. One things to watch out for is how pure it is - this is usually based on counting the pollen grains in it - manuka pollen has a characteristic shape - a quality product will tell you about this.

Hi, i have medical grade honey in the house. For years we used it on his foot ulcer. Did nothing. Until i got this $80 over the counter cream Iodosorb, finally, with corrective orthotics, finally his foot ulcer is gone. So naturally I put the medihoney on his skin. Did nothing.

Believe me, we have tried all topicals. And some kind person is sending me a sample of a hollistic cream. In my honest opinion, we have to clean up his gut. Will update.
Thanks much, Melody