NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   personal experience with thompson or mackinnon in st louis? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/213729-personal-experience-thompson-mackinnon-st-louis.html)

Daesin 12-19-2014 02:27 AM

personal experience with thompson or mackinnon in st louis?

Has anyone had experience with either Dr Robert Thompson or Dr. Susan MacKinnon in St Louis, Mo?

I thought my ortho had decided on one but, it appears I have a choice for a Ntos referral and would love some opinions.
Yes, I have reviewed the archives and done web searches for reviews and medical backgrounds.
Thanks,

cyclist 12-28-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daesin (Post 1113701)
Has anyone had experience with either Dr Robert Thompson or Dr. Susan MacKinnon in St Louis, Mo?

I thought my ortho had decided on one but, it appears I have a choice for a Ntos referral and would love some opinions.
Yes, I have reviewed the archives and done web searches for reviews and medical backgrounds.
Thanks,

I would urge you to consider getting opinions from both Thompson and Mackinnon. Dr Thompson comes from a vascular surgery background, while Dr. Mackinnon specializes in neurosurgery. Each will bring different strengths and perspective to the diagnosis and treatment of nTOS. I think it could be very worthwhile to consult with both of them.

Daesin 12-29-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist (Post 1114981)
I would urge you to consider getting opinions from both Thompson and Mackinnon. Dr Thompson comes from a vascular surgery background, while Dr. Mackinnon specializes in neurosurgery. Each will bring different strengths and perspective to the diagnosis and treatment of nTOS. I think it could be very worthwhile to consult with both of them.

Excellent advice. This is wc so I doubt I get more than one bite at this. I am already in battle mode just to get approval for *A* consultation,
Thanks for the info.

cyclist 12-29-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daesin (Post 1115064)
Excellent advice. This is wc so I doubt I get more than one bite at this. I am already in battle mode just to get approval for *A* consultation,
Thanks for the info.

Has your ortho given you his suggestion/opinion on who you should see? Has he/she given you any guidance or background info to help you make this decision?

Daesin 12-30-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist (Post 1115196)
Has your ortho given you his suggestion/opinion on who you should see? Has he/she given you any guidance or background info to help you make this decision?

Sadly no. He provided me with 2 names to research. Pretty much there are two excellent TOS Docs in St Louis which one do you want to see.
So, I am pulling every scrap of info I can find to help guide me. I have spoken with both offices and one was definitely more helpful and responsive. I was hoping that someone on this forum had a personal experience to share. I feel that is better data than anonymous internet reviews. One Dr has received very poor reviews from past patients while the other has the opposite.

I do feel lost. I have learned so much from reading the archives but even they only go so far. :confused:

cyclist 01-04-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daesin (Post 1115277)
Sadly no. He provided me with 2 names to research. Pretty much there are two excellent TOS Docs in St Louis which one do you want to see.
So, I am pulling every scrap of info I can find to help guide me. I have spoken with both offices and one was definitely more helpful and responsive. I was hoping that someone on this forum had a personal experience to share. I feel that is better data than anonymous internet reviews. One Dr has received very poor reviews from past patients while the other has the opposite.

I do feel lost. I have learned so much from reading the archives but even they only go so far. :confused:

Unfortunately, there seems to be quite a bit of controversy within the medical community regarding how best to diagnose, manage and treat neurogenic TOS. Depending on your case, these two physicians in particular, may have very different approaches.

I don't want to influence your decision one way or the other, as I simply don't know what the best option is.

I also don't know much about the WC system, but I strongly urge you to acquaint yourself with all the controversial issues, gather as much information as you can, and definitely --definitely-- get more than one opinion.

Lastly...both Dr Thompson and Dr Mackinnon have published on TOS, and you can learn a lot about them by reading through these publications. Dr Mackinnon also has some videos on YouTube where she discusses nTOS, long with other peripheral nerve entrapment issues. These might be helpful as well.