NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Is this normal extraction/bone graft (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/213746-normal-extraction-bone-graft.html)

leesal 12-19-2014 11:36 AM

Is this normal extraction/bone graft

Two weeks ago I had tooth 30 extracted and grafting for tooth 28, 29,19 and 20. I have terrible jaw pain (History of TMJ).

Tooth 30 ended up with a dry socket and infection. I'm on Flagyl for the infection which seems to be helping.

The bone graft for tooth 20 is exposed. My Dr. who did the implants said the grafting might not have worked and I may have to redo it. The graft on the left is still painful. My question is this, is this normal tow weeks post op and if so how do I proceed?

If the graft needs to be redone, I feel like maybe I should find a new surgeon to do the bone graft since I've had so many complications. I've been taking lots of Arnica. What should be normal post op pain at two weeks?

Bryanna 12-19-2014 07:51 PM

Hi leesal,

Could you please clarify that I understand your dental situation?

Tooth #30 extracted.
Grafting done 19,20,28,29 sites and I assume #30.
~~When was 19, 20, 18 and 29 removed?

~~Tooth #30 had a dry socket with a new graft in it?

~~When did you have the implants placed and in which areas exactly?

When using homeopathy like Arnica for swelling and pain, it is not wise to take more than prescribed. Taking more does not mean it will work better.

When you get a chance, please clarify and I will see if I can offer you some helpful information.

Thanks,
Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesal (Post 1113747)
Two weeks ago I had tooth 30 extracted and grafting for tooth 28, 29,19 and 20. I have terrible jaw pain (History of TMJ).

Tooth 30 ended up with a dry socket and infection. I'm on Flagyl for the infection which seems to be helping.

The bone graft for tooth 20 is exposed. My Dr. who did the implants said the grafting might not have worked and I may have to redo it. The graft on the left is still painful. My question is this, is this normal tow weeks post op and if so how do I proceed?

If the graft needs to be redone, I feel like maybe I should find a new surgeon to do the bone graft since I've had so many complications. I've been taking lots of Arnica. What should be normal post op pain at two weeks?

leesal 12-19-2014 08:38 PM

Hi Bryanna,

The other teeth were extracted 20 years ago after a severe accident. A dental bridge was place on the lower left which was done incorrectly. The tooth got severe decay underneath.

Bone grafting was done in that entire area.

Thanks Bryanna.

Bryanna 12-20-2014 05:48 PM

leesal,

The other areas where the teeth were extracted 20 years ago have already developed irreplaceable bone loss. So I am puzzled as to why your dentist put bone graft in those areas. The likelihood of that graft integrating with your jaw bone in those areas is very unlikely. Did he inform you of this?

You mentioned implants in your original post... did you have implants placed in your jaw? If so, where and when?

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesal (Post 1113824)
Hi Bryanna,

The other teeth were extracted 20 years ago after a severe accident. A dental bridge was place on the lower left which was done incorrectly. The tooth got severe decay underneath.

Bone grafting was done in that entire area.

Thanks Bryanna.

leesal 12-20-2014 06:31 PM

No Bryanna. I wouldn't have spent the time, pain and money if this was the case. My plan is to do Zirconium implants. I don't like the idea of titanium in my body.

Bryanna 12-20-2014 07:18 PM

leesal,

Sometimes a dentist will suggest to a patient... to try the grafts and see what happens. However, with that suggestion the patient should also be informed of the risks involved in taking that chance. That's why I asked if he told you.

It would be wise to let the grafts heal for several months to be sure they are integrating with the bone. The timing will be crucial if the grafts do take and the implants have to be placed at the right time or the graft will recede. However, placing the implants should not be rushed into. What was his plan for that? Also does he plan on doing regular size implants or mini implants? Will they be holding separate teeth or a bridge?

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesal (Post 1113974)
No Bryanna. I wouldn't have spent the time, pain and money if this was the case. My plan is to do Zirconium implants. I don't like the idea of titanium in my body.