NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Dreams of dying - does anyone else has it? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/213780-dreams-dying-else.html)

ProAgonist 12-20-2014 02:52 AM

Dreams of dying - does anyone else has it?

After my last concussion (had a total of 2 mild concussions, 10 days apart), I started dreaming once in a few weeks dreams of dying.

Most of the time, it's about getting another concussion, and then just falling to the floor and becoming completely paralysed. I feel like I cannot move or make any sound at all, and it really feels like death. And then I wake up.

This has happened to me already 3 times after my concussions. The first time was a few days after the first concussion. It just feels so realistic inside the dream that it's scary, and it's always in the dream that I get a very bad concussion and then I get paralysed and die slowly (although the last time it happened, I already knew it was a dream so I just waited until I wake up from it).

Does anybody else here experience it? I'm talking specifically about dreams of dying after getting a concussion inside the dream.

thorx89 12-20-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProAgonist (Post 1113881)
After my last concussion (had a total of 2 mild concussions, 10 days apart), I started dreaming once in a few weeks dreams of dying.

Most of the time, it's about getting another concussion, and then just falling to the floor and becoming completely paralysed. I feel like I cannot move or make any sound at all, and it really feels like death. And then I wake up.

This has happened to me already 3 times after my concussions. The first time was a few days after the first concussion. It just feels so realistic inside the dream that it's scary, and it's always in the dream that I get a very bad concussion and then I get paralysed and die slowly (although the last time it happened, I already knew it was a dream so I just waited until I wake up from it).

Does anybody else here experience it? I'm talking specifically about dreams of dying after getting a concussion inside the dream.

I was having very similar dreams about one month after my concussion. In each, I had killed myself in some way, and the major part of the dream was the dragged on moment of me waiting powerlessly to die, unable to undo what I had done to myself. Fortunately, it only lasted one or two weeks.

Bruins88 12-20-2014 10:08 AM

A lot of that can be attested to either depression or ptsd. While you may not necessarily fall into either category while active, your subconscious is.

Hopefully this passes, but if it continues I would inform your dr of it.

Lara 12-21-2014 01:52 AM

OK, here goes. You'll probably all think I'm a little weird, but that's OK. :)

We all seem to work through so much when we dream. Dreams can seem to be a magnification of conscious or subconscious thoughts.

Dreaming about dying after a head injury seems quite natural to me. You were maybe scared you were going to die or never be the same again even if it was just a fleeting thought or you could have been worrying about the repercussions of a 2nd concussion.

From time to time I have lucid dreams and they're not concussion related although I have had a concussion. I once dreamed a very vivid dream where I became stuck on a ledge very high off the ground and there was no way to go except to fall and end it. I was trapped. However, I made a conscious decision to fly in my dream and saved myself. I can still remember it.

Maybe one day ProAgonist you won't feel paralyzed in your dream and you'll get up. The fact that you recognized in your sleep that it was a dream shows that you can lucid dream. All you need to do is change that feeling of being paralyzed into something more positive. :)

To me dreaming about death or dying is about change.

Dreaming about killing yourself? Well I think that could be very different.

_Ash_ 12-21-2014 08:10 PM

I'd definately second Lara.

If you have anxiety, depression or feelings of guilt this will manifest in your dreams. It's your subconscious dealing with it. This is not necessarily PTSD, that also comes with sensory recall and is often specific and repetititve.

Lucid dreaming can seem to overlap, in that you are aware of your body, as you are aware of the dream. If you cling to the dream and but try to move your sleeping body you will compound the feeling of being trapped. Accept that your body is resting and seek to move the dream instead.

Its actaually really fun. If you're already anxious then you need to prime yourself. Read a favourite book and pull the dream into that world. Or your version of it rather.