NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   So I applied for a job (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/213966-applied-job.html)

PamelaJune 12-26-2014 02:55 AM

So I applied for a job

Back in early November and it being by then well over 2 years since I worked, the money tree was/is bare and in a moment of insanity I updated my cv online, saw a job and thought I can do that. I applied and heard nothing back other than the standard reply and I forgot about it. December 1st week rolled round and I got a call out of the blue for a telephone interview, then a face to face, then more, then ref checks and then a pre employment medical and on xmas eve they called and offered the job.
I'm well and truly stunned, the medical was with my own GP who knows me well, we detailed all my injury and restrictions and what I would need in a work environment to get by, so no one more shocked than me that they called and offered.
Long story short, I start work again after two and a half years off on January 5. Part Time, 3 days a week. Feeling very very nervous friends, very nervous.:eek:

EnglishDave 12-26-2014 05:41 PM

A Job!!!

Congratulations, what a grand Christmas present. All the best for your New Year, New Start. Onwards and upwards.
Dave.

Lara 12-26-2014 05:50 PM

I read your post here PamelaJune and just want to say that is wonderful news and that I hope it all goes very well for you. It will, I imagine, be difficult to begin with but then I'm sure you'll settle into the routine and find it very rewarding. Wishing you the best!

Strhuntrss 12-27-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1114632)
Back in early November and it being by then well over 2 years since I worked, the money tree was/is bare and in a moment of insanity I updated my cv online, saw a job and thought I can do that. I applied and heard nothing back other than the standard reply and I forgot about it. December 1st week rolled round and I got a call out of the blue for a telephone interview, then a face to face, then more, then ref checks and then a pre employment medical and on xmas eve they called and offered the job.
I'm well and truly stunned, the medical was with my own GP who knows me well, we detailed all my injury and restrictions and what I would need in a work environment to get by, so no one more shocked than me that they called and offered.
Long story short, I start work again after two and a half years off on January 5. Part Time, 3 days a week. Feeling very very nervous friends, very nervous.:eek:

Way to go PJ,
It is like your first day of school, nervous but you are back into the swing of things in no time at all. Praying for complete healing and no complications.

You will have to let us know how things go.
God Bless You and keep you :hug:

Diandra 12-27-2014 10:28 AM

Wow.....congratulations Pam. That is wonderful news.
I'd be nervous too but After a couple days, the nervousness will be gone and you will be fine.
3 part time days sounds absolutely perfect.
What will you be doing?

I wish you much success and you are an inspiration to me and I am sure many others.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
All the best, D.

Quote:

PamelaJune 12-28-2014 04:01 PM

Injury management consultant. I'm excited, nervous, terrified and shocked - oh and pleased! My first week will be 3 days straight, then I have to fly to head office for a 5 day induction and then back home and will work Mon, Weds and Fridays. If I can get thru the first two weeks I should be ok, I'm going to have to be, desperately need the $$$ I'm sure you all know what I mean. Thanks all for the congrats :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diandra (Post 1114780)
Wow.....congratulations Pam. That is wonderful news.
I'd be nervous too but After a couple days, the nervousness will be gone and you will be fine.
3 part time days sounds absolutely perfect.
What will you be doing?

I wish you much success and you are an inspiration to me and I am sure many others.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
All the best, D.

St George 2013 12-28-2014 04:12 PM

This is wonderful news !

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1114983)
Injury management consultant. I'm excited, nervous, terrified and shocked - oh and pleased! My first week will be 3 days straight, then I have to fly to head office for a 5 day induction and then back home and will work Mon, Weds and Fridays. If I can get thru the first two weeks I should be ok, I'm going to have to be, desperately need the $$$ I'm sure you all know what I mean. Thanks all for the congrats :hug:

Oh my gosh that is some great news ! And doing Mon, Weds and Fri's sounds like the perfect part time job. You are an inspiration as said above and maybe one day I can work part time again. I miss being around people and that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes with doing a good job.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you get through those 2 weeks without too many issues.

Debi from Georgia

eva5667faliure 12-29-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

you got yourself an awesome
Christmas gift
Enjoy the world
ENJOY PERIOD!

eva5667faliure 12-29-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St George 2013 (Post 1114988)
Oh my gosh that is some great news ! And doing Mon, Weds and Fri's sounds like the perfect part time job. You are an inspiration as said above and maybe one day I can work part time again. I miss being around people and that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction that comes with doing a good job.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you get through those 2 weeks without too many issues.

Debi from Georgia

oh Debi

we are so wishing for the same
just to be surrounded by people

to be happy is my wish for her

eva5667faliure 12-29-2014 01:31 PM

any ties with my job shall end in april
this makes it more real
sucks

EnglishDave 12-29-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva5667faliure (Post 1115159)
any ties with my job shall end in april
this makes it more real
sucks

Loss is fleeting, there - then gone.
Do not dwell on past sorrows
That darken Today's Hope.
Push aside the veil of shadows
And let the light of future happiness
Swell your heart.

Dave.

PamelaJune 12-29-2014 07:15 PM

I don't know what to do

So you know I had pneumonia, turns out I've had glandular fever as well! I'm supposed to start work this coming Monday, do I ring the boss and ask if I can start a week later and tell him why or do I just suck it up?

Part of me thinks if I defer it for even 1 week it will be the beginning of the end and my fear of going back to work will have me coming up with yet another excuse the following week...

EnglishDave 12-29-2014 08:27 PM

Nagging Seed of Self-Doubt

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1115229)

Part of me thinks if I defer it for even 1 week it will be the beginning of the end and my fear of going back to work will have me coming up with yet another excuse the following week...

Do not let self-doubt rob you of this wonderful achievement. You have earned this job by your own hard work, on your own merits.
So you have had glandular fever. How do you feel deep down? Can you still handle the physical demands of your new job, knowing you are going to get an extra boost of excitement and adrenaline?
If the answer is 'Yes', you are good to go, if 'No', you still have a week to rest up, get in the right frame of mind and leave any negative decision to the last possible moment.

Dave.

ger715 12-29-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishDave (Post 1115212)
Loss is fleeting, there - then gone.
Do not dwell on past sorrows
That darken Today's Hope.
Push aside the veil of shadows
And let the light of future happiness
Swell your heart.

Dave.

Dave,
Have you made a book filled with all these beautiful thought provoking verses??
Just thinking how great it would be to get these published.

Gerry

PamelaJune 12-29-2014 11:29 PM

Dave, you are amazing, it is self doubt kicking in isn't it, that's why even though I feel very rough you are right, I still have a week to hunker down and get as well as I can be and the adrenaline boost will get me through. The first week is 3 consecutive days of company induction (24 hours induction is bloody long by anyone's rights), I'm not doing anything physical and if I have to, I'll sit on the floor when I need to. No physical exertion demands, just sitting... I struggle to sit still at the best of times. Thank you for being you :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishDave (Post 1115237)
Do not let self-doubt rob you of this wonderful achievement. You have earned this job by your own hard work, on your own merits.
So you have had glandular fever. How do you feel deep down? Can you still handle the physical demands of your new job, knowing you are going to get an extra boost of excitement and adrenaline?
If the answer is 'Yes', you are good to go, if 'No', you still have a week to rest up, get in the right frame of mind and leave any negative decision to the last possible moment.

Dave.

EnglishDave 12-30-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ger715 (Post 1115255)
Dave,
Have you made a book filled with all these beautiful thought provoking verses??
Just thinking how great it would be to get these published.

Gerry

No book, just a long-dormant love of composition re-kindled by being around wonderful people.
The brain is regaining some sharpness, the words flow easily, but the double vision and shaking means typing at 3 wpm. Imagine working to a deadline! I would rather share here with my peers.

Dave.

ger715 12-30-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishDave (Post 1115435)
No book, just a long-dormant love of composition re-kindled by being around wonderful people.
The brain is regaining some sharpness, the words flow easily, but the double vision and shaking means typing at 3 wpm. Imagine working to a deadline! I would rather share here with my peers.

Dave.

No deadline. Could be a few years of writing down these composition/verses.

Enjoy your sharing them with us.

Gerry

ger715 12-30-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1115261)
Dave, you are amazing, it is self doubt kicking in isn't it, that's why even though I feel very rough you are right, I still have a week to hunker down and get as well as I can be and the adrenaline boost will get me through. The first week is 3 consecutive days of company induction (24 hours induction is bloody long by anyone's rights), I'm not doing anything physical and if I have to, I'll sit on the floor when I need to. No physical exertion demands, just sitting... I struggle to sit still at the best of times. Thank you for being you :hug:

Pam,
So glad you are going to give it a try. Determination is your adrenaline boost.
Lot'sa love & prayers coming your way.
Gerry

Diandra 12-31-2014 10:42 PM

hi Pam,
how are you feeling today?
(it is 10:25 pm dec 31 here but I know you r in the morning of jan1 so happy new year!)

I don't know how sick glandular fever makes you feel but hopefully you are feeling better. I would say give it a go unless you truly feel too ill. this job sounds like perfect circumstances for you, something you have been wanting and needing. Once you get there and get involved in learning the new job, before you know it, you will be through your first day. First day is Just filling out forms and security badges and orientation type stuff, then 2 more days and you are done. If you don't feel well enough to do the 3 days, well then you know you did your best and gave employment a real shot.
All my best Pam....you are in my thoughts and prayers.
D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1115229)
So you know I had pneumonia, turns out I've had glandular fever as well! I'm supposed to start work this coming Monday, do I ring the boss and ask if I can start a week later and tell him why or do I just suck it up?

EnglishDave 01-01-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ger715 (Post 1115455)
Pam,
So glad you are going to give it a try. Determination is your adrenaline boost.
Lot'sa love & prayers coming your way.
Gerry

Generous in thought and deed.
Expressive in word and praise.
Resolute in his fight against adversity.
Regarded highly by his peers.
Your Good Self.

Dave.

booklover 01-04-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Good luck with your new job Pamela,

Do take good care of yourself and make sure you get enough rest. A former work colleague of mine developed a post viral syndrome from glandular fever, rather like chronic fatigue, which took her a long time to recover from. I also previously worked in vocational rehabilitation.

If you require an ergonomic set up, the Employee Assistance Fund runs out of WA, and provide free workplace modifications/equipment to those with permanent non compensible disabilities details at www.jobaccess.gov.au. You may already be aware of this resource if you work in the field. Which health background are you trained in?

Must go sleep now, off for a weeks holiday to Echuca later this morning,

Look forward to hearing how you're getting on, Booklover

ger715 01-06-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Pam,

Just realized the January 5th day arrived and this is January 6th. Sooooo;

is there a status update you could share with us?

Looking forward to your response. Hope all is going well and is good.

Gerry

PamelaJune 01-08-2015 09:02 PM

Worked Mon, Tues and Weds

Did 3 full days this week, sitting mostly in training and I moved around and was mobile as much as possible. The trainer reduced me to tears on Weds am and has done her level best to make me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable including repeatedly saying I don't know why you are here. My direct boss and the State RGM are on leave until the 19th so I trust things will improve on their return. I'm flying interstate on the 19th to spend 3 days with my state counterpart and I'm sure I will have a better idea then as to why this woman has been so rude, horrid and unhelpful. Putting aside her patronising manner and unhelpful and sneering observations I do believe this job is something I can make a real and valuable difference to.

My poor mum is still in hospital but still herself enough to comfort me when I relived the burning embarrassment as I described how my first 3 days unfolded. I confess having been out of the workplace for so long I had forgotten how petty and cruel workers can be. Having been the one normally responsible for ensuring this type of behaviour is not acceptable in the workplace it was doubly hard to be on the receiving end. I'm shocked a woman of her age could engage in such behaviour. Nevertheless I am not going to let her ruin what could be the start of a new life for me.

Thank you all for your continued support :hug:

ger715 01-08-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1117131)
Did 3 full days this week, sitting mostly in training and I moved around and was mobile as much as possible. The trainer reduced me to tears on Weds am and has done her level best to make me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable including repeatedly saying I don't know why you are here. My direct boss and the State RGM are on leave until the 19th so I trust things will improve on their return. I'm flying interstate on the 19th to spend 3 days with my state counterpart and I'm sure I will have a better idea then as to why this woman has been so rude, horrid and unhelpful. Putting aside her patronising manner and unhelpful and sneering observations I do believe this job is something I can make a real and valuable difference to.

My poor mum is still in hospital but still herself enough to comfort me when I relived the burning embarrassment as I described how my first 3 days unfolded. I confess having been out of the workplace for so long I had forgotten how petty and cruel workers can be. Having been the one normally responsible for ensuring this type of behaviour is not acceptable in the workplace it was doubly hard to be on the receiving end. I'm shocked a woman of her age could engage in such behaviour. Nevertheless I am not going to let her ruin what could be the start of a new life for me.

Pam,

As I mentioned in the PM; others there are probably aware of this woman's behavior. You are probably not the first to be at the receiving end. I'm glad you were strong enough to deal with this. You probably came out looking pretty good to others.

Proud of you.

Gerry

Diandra 01-09-2015 07:19 AM

Good to hear from you. I would hope, once you are through training that your path and this woman's will not have to cross.

To actually say to someone, " I don't know why you are here" is so rude, childish, unprofessional and abusive. Can you record any of what she says with a laptop or cell phone? If you had a company, would you want a person like this in your employ? I wouldn't say anything at the get go unless it continues to escalate but, if it continues or you end up having dealings/problems in the future, at least you have some proof to show the direct boss. Every employee reflects the company and this woman is a nightmare. Just a thought, I know you have enough to deal with.

How are you feeling physically? I would imagine it is difficult to sit in the same position for long periods of time, or perhaps you have a comfortable chair.
Hopefully the training is over soon and you will be rid of this nasty human.
Pulling for you Pam and wishing you all the best.

Prayers to your Mother. Sorry to hear she is still in the hospital.
D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1117131)

ger715 01-10-2015 11:43 PM

Pam,

Just want to wish you all good things for the coming work week. And; please keep up the "good work" at holding your own with the woman who is there to show and teach you the in's and out's of the position.
Me thinks; she's not the best qualified !!!!:nopity:

Gerry

EnglishDave 01-11-2015 05:56 PM

I agree wholeheartedly

Dave.

ger715 01-12-2015 10:14 PM

Pam,

When you get a chance; let us know how you are getting along with the job.

Hope your mother is doing better.

Gerry

PamelaJune 01-17-2015 07:14 PM

Still going

Flying interstate tomorrow for a further three days training. Clarified a few points with head office and know now more to it. Two others in the office applied for the job, no names given, nor needed. Looking forward to viewing corporate office and their way of doing things. :)

ger715 01-17-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1118885)
Flying interstate tomorrow for a further three days training. Clarified a few points with head office and know now more to it. Two others in the office applied for the job, no names given, nor needed. Looking forward to viewing corporate office and their way of doing things. :)

Pam,

You really seem to be right on top of things. Looking forward to learning more of your job experiences.

Hope all is good on the home front.

Gerry

PamelaJune 01-27-2015 05:35 AM

Pain, so very uncomfortable today

The job is proving to be exceedingly frustrating. After 3 weeks I still can't access the company main drives, have had a brand new laptop delivered and set only to still have the same problems. This means I'm doing everything manually and when not trolling thru files in the filing cabinet I'm sat hunched tying to get the blinking computer to work.

Don't get me wrong, I so love being able to go to work and I have dealt with the difficult trainer who now can't get enough of me (I'm keeping my polite distance) and last week interstate met such a wonderful warm and welcoming group of people. However until I can complete a meaningful day and the work I do not wiped clean on the nightly system backup I will continue to feel frustrated and anxious and no doubt my pain levels will remain high.

My neck and lower back are screaming and I'm sat now practising all my old and some new techniques to relieve the pain.

To top it off, I'm recovering from yet another bowel obstruction and have consequently reduced pain relief to the barest minimum of 1 sublingual a day. I think I will try and add a Valium tonight as a muscle relaxant. I'm hoping and praying things will settle for me, along with praying for all of you on the
East Coast bracing for the blizzard. Looks to be shockingly frightening on TV.

St George 2013 01-27-2015 08:14 AM

Hey Pamela June :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1120528)
The job is proving to be exceedingly frustrating. After 3 weeks I still can't access the company main drives, have had a brand new laptop delivered and set only to still have the same problems. This means I'm doing everything manually and when not trolling thru files in the filing cabinet I'm sat hunched tying to get the blinking computer to work.

Don't get me wrong, I so love being able to go to work and I have dealt with the difficult trainer who now can't get enough of me (I'm keeping my polite distance) and last week interstate met such a wonderful warm and welcoming group of people. However until I can complete a meaningful day and the work I do not wiped clean on the nightly system backup I will continue to feel frustrated and anxious and no doubt my pain levels will remain high.

My neck and lower back are screaming and I'm sat now practising all my old and some new techniques to relieve the pain.

To top it off, I'm recovering from yet another bowel obstruction and have consequently reduced pain relief to the barest minimum of 1 sublingual a day. I think I will try and add a Valium tonight as a muscle relaxant. I'm hoping and praying things will settle for me, along with praying for all of you on the

Just wanted to say I really feel for you and your company computer issues. Thank goodness I worked for a company that had an IT dept that was there for everyone 24/7. I had a lot of problems when I first started using my laptop off site but they helped me every step of the way. Wish you had that !

That stress and frustration doesn't help with physical or mental issues.

But I'm so proud to read your posts. You're out there working and we all wish you the best of luck....once you have the system corrected and the nightly backup works you'll be rocking and rollin' !

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Debi from Georgia
PS---Watching the weather up North and feeling very bad for anyone 'stuck' in that mess. Hope it all clears up soon :hug:

Diandra 03-22-2015 09:01 AM

Hi Pam,
Your last post here was late January. Just checking in to see how things are going at work, with your health and with your Mom. You certainly have the trifecta of issues that can exacerbate stress. Have been thinking of you and praying that everything is on the upswing. Please know your friends here are cheering you on.
All my best,
D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1120528)

ger715 03-22-2015 11:33 AM

Pam,

As Diandra mentioned; hoping for an update as well. I know this can't be easy for you; but no matter what comes of this; you tried. For that, you are very special in our hearts and prayers.

Gerry

PamelaJune 03-25-2015 06:37 AM

My lovely friends

I haven't been on much, so tired juggling lots of balls and trying to keep them all in the air.

Work is good, but so very hard on my back and neck and my headaches have returned with a vengeance. But, I am happy to be working and giving it a shot. Minor bowel obstruction in play, just to keep me on my toes I'm sure!! To tired to write more, will soon I promise.

Keep well and know I have been lurking at times and think of you all often:hug::hug:

ger715 03-25-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1131703)
I haven't been on much, so tired juggling lots of balls and trying to keep them all in the air.

Work is good, but so very hard on my back and neck and my headaches have returned with a vengeance. But, I am happy to be working and giving it a shot. Minor bowel obstruction in play, just to keep me on my toes I'm sure!! To tired to write more, will soon I promise.

Keep well and know I have been lurking at times and think of you all often:hug::hug:

Pam,
We are aware of how much time, effort and pain you must be dealing with. So good to get an update.
Thoughts and Prayers,:smileypray:

Gerry

Diandra 03-25-2015 10:52 PM

Dear Pam,
Thanks for taking the time to update. You have been such an inspiration to me, and I am sure to so many others on the forum. When I saw the words "work is good" all I could do is smile. Will pray the pain and headaches and bowel obstruction fade away and you feel better and better. Truly Pam, I am so happy for you.
D.

PamelaJune 04-23-2015 05:58 AM

Just short of 4 months

Well I'm still hanging in there, to be fair, by the tenuous of threads! I've had my stim amped up to counteract the pain, still very bad nights and long days. Charging my battery both morning and night now, hope to go higher ampage again next month as not noticing any bad side effects and the pain I think is lessened. :cool:

Diandra 04-23-2015 08:46 AM

So great to hear from you Pam.
Doesn't matter how tenuous those threads are, you are still working, still pushing, still out in the work world and best of all, better pain control.

I miss you around the forum so thanks for taking the time to let us know how you are. You made my day!
D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1137761)
Well I'm still hanging in there, to be fair, by the tenuous of threads! I've had my stim amped up to counteract the pain, still very bad nights and long days. Charging my battery both morning and night now, hope to go higher ampage again next month as not noticing any bad side effects and the pain I think is lessened. :cool:

ger715 04-23-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1137761)

Pam, you definitely have to be proud of yourself whether this is for a short time or longer; the fact is you had the courage to go out there and give it your best.
You sure are an inspiration.

Gerry