NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Social Security disability? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/214547-social-security-disability.html)

SweetC 01-09-2015 02:44 PM

Social Security disability?

I know at 3.5 months in, I'm still early in my healing process, but I am wondering when others applied for disability. I am progressing but not nearly fast enough and I'm very stressed out about our finances. Things are looking bleak.

I have just started working 6-8 hours a week doing lesson planning only. God only knows when I'll be at capacity to handle my classroom again, even part time.

In the meantime, savings are now gone, sick leave is long gone, donated leave has dried up and my recalculated salary for my hourly rate is insulting. I may be earn enough $ to pay for monthly milk and bread for my 4 kiddos...Better than nothing I guess.

I do not have short term disability insurance, though I was supposed to. Some of my friends and family are pushing me to apply for Social Security disability.

From other posts, I know the neuropsych eval is pretty important. The neuropsych in my area doesn't see TBI patients until their 6 month mark. That's the end of March for me. My referral for him goes in at the end of this month.

Should I go ahead and get the application process started just in case I don't improve enough for me to return to work full time soon? Should I consult an attorney?

I'm having a hard time processing everything and plotting a course of action so some advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Jomar 01-09-2015 03:30 PM

You might also explore & ask questions on our SSDI forum for more information -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum28.html

Mark in Idaho 01-09-2015 04:20 PM

You can start an application of SSDI online. This will start the collection of information. Or, you can schedule an appointment at your local Social Security office. The first part of the application process includes an application for SSI, Supplemental Security Income, a needs and assets based form of welfare. The actual SSDI application usually requires that there is an expectation of full disability. You don't have to prove permanence but it should be a strong expectation.

One can earn up to $1070 per month and still apply if the limited income is based on the disability limitations.

Since you are only 3.5 months since your injury, it may be early. But, there is no harm is starting the process. At the least, you will gain an understanding of the process. The information may say the disability only needs to be expected to last 12 months but the people reviewing the application seem to ignore this part.

You said "I do not have short term disability insurance, though I was supposed to." What happened ? Do you have any recourse?

SweetC 01-10-2015 02:43 PM

Thank you Jo*mar, I went to the SSDI forum before I first posted and got quickly overwhelmed with the volume of information to weed through. Like everything else seems to be with this condition, it will be a slow process to get through everything!

Mark, thank you. I think I have a starting point now. I know there have been other posts about SSDI, but again, so much information to weed through! I appreciate you taking time to tell me things I am sure you have repeated numerous times.

I don't think I have recourse regarding the STDI. My employer offered it as voluntary insurance last year and I thought I had it. I signed up for it. Turns out the STDI was dependent on x number of people signing up and we didn't meet the requirement. I don't recall ever being told this and found out the hard way. :/

It's my stupid fault for not double checking the long list of paycheck deductions long ago. Lesson learned.

Jomar 01-10-2015 04:03 PM

check the sticky threads there for tips & what is needed to start a claim.. less to wade thru than the discussion threads..

12many 01-27-2015 01:56 PM

Hi, there is a site called "disibility secrets" was very helpful for me.Took me over four years to file as I just thought I was lazy and kept trying to run my business, after losing several hundred thousand dollars from bad decisions finally admitted I couldn't work steadily anymore. When I filed, It took three months for approval. So I guess the doctors were right despite my unwillingness to admit my weakness. It is now nine yrs after the sixth concussion and I still have trouble accepting what has happened to me. Oh well, I was at fault in most of the injuries.