NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Severe Weakness/Extremities (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/214606-severe-weakness-extremities.html)

dac1223 01-10-2015 04:38 PM

Severe Weakness/Extremities

Hello:

I'm a new member.

I'm curious whether anyone has seen peripheral neuropathic issues/weakness come on tied to an enlarged uterus (not sciatica)?

A year ago, we found a “large” fibroid and several others through ultrasound in a search to find the source of my coccyx pain (no fracture in X-ray). My inverted uterus was also enlarged. OBGYN suggested the coccyx pain could be related to pressure from the fibroid and we confirmed a possibility (no guarantee) with pain during pelvic exam pressure in the area. We agreed to monitor; hysterectomy or myomectomy were suggested.

Even though other side complications presented, I did not proceed with exploring surgery options because my coccyx started to go away & I since, have been consumed with resolution of other symptoms (possibly related). I am revisiting this now.

My biggest concern is recent paresthesia symptoms (started in fingers) that developed into considerable limb/extremity weakness and a myriad of neuropathy and other odd issues over the course of 6 weeks. My hand gets swollen. Sometimes, I am stiff or get joint pain (hands mostly). I can’t lift my body easy or manipulate objects, and have poor coordination. I also have had frequent urination, bowel changes, chest tightness (EKG, chest X-ray ok) coming and going, issues with my voice (hoarse) intermittently and a constant metallic taste (no antibiotics). My skin shrivels fast in warm bath water (not hot) and my body gets inflamed (think). My feet are always cold.

Blood work (thyroid, nutrients/iron/B12, protein and basic panels) and Neurological tests (EMG, EEG, SEP) have found no leads on the neuropathy except inflammation (sed rate@40). I just took a Lyme test and retook my ANA (originally fine along with Rheumatoid factor) and Sedimentation (4 weeks later from original testing); I am awaiting results. My neurologist wants me to seek second opinion. He does not think MS, but has no idea.

No spinal tap or skin biopsy have been done; will wait for rheumatologist appt. &/or other neurologist.

I had a virus which had me bedridden weeks ahead of this onset and also the flu shot for the first time.

Given the returned coccyx pain, a spinal MRI was ordered. They found my uterine issues progressed (uterus size unknown). It was suggested that I see my OBGYN, conduct a pelvic ultrasound, & this was unrelated to the neuropathy issues. I see him next week. Could this be related? The MD did not look at the actual images.

Does this sound like myositis?

Thank you in advance.

Jomar 01-10-2015 10:55 PM

[My hand gets swollen. Sometimes, I am stiff or get joint pain (hands mostly). I can’t lift my body easy or manipulate objects, and have poor coordination. I also have had frequent urination, bowel changes, chest tightness (EKG, chest X-ray ok) coming and going, issues with my voice (hoarse) intermittently and a constant metallic taste (no antibiotics).]

Are most of your symptoms in your hands /arms, very little in your legs?
If the uterus was pressing on a nerve I would expect the legs or lower extremities would possibly be affected..not the arms/hands..

What kind of job or activities do you do? - desk/computer/ repetitive/weightlifting?
Have you had any MRI of the c spine since there is arm/hand sx?
Do you have any neck/upper back pain or tightness?
any whiplash type accident or falls in the past?

Have you considered expert chiropractic, acupuncture, naturopathy?

Jomar 01-10-2015 11:16 PM

http://demo.chiromatrix.com/3d_spine...hart/index.htm

You can use this 3 d spinal chart to see where nerves may be affected and locations of symptoms.

dac1223 01-11-2015 06:17 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out. I just completed an mri for cervical and lumbar spine. My neck does not hurt. I get some pain in my bicep area.

My legs are extremely weak and feet often numb. I can walk, but am wobbly at times. My knees almost feel locked often. I can't stand for significant time without feeling like legs will give out. Feet often cold.