NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Anyone had any success with accupuncture? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/214735-success-accupuncture.html)

Healthgirl 01-13-2015 12:05 PM

Anyone had any success with accupuncture?

I am going to try my first session on Friday. My orthopedist recommends it. I spoke to the acupuncturist and she said she thinks she can fix me. She said she had someone with lyme who was in bad shape for years and is feeling much better after 4 treatments.

Aussie99 01-14-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1118102)
I am going to try my first session on Friday. My orthopedist recommends it. I spoke to the acupuncturist and she said she thinks she can fix me. She said she had someone with lyme who was in bad shape for years and is feeling much better after 4 treatments.

Good luck with this. I too am wanting to try.eager to hear how it goes for you.

janieg 01-14-2015 01:27 AM

No luck here after a four-session try. Hope it works for you, though. Everyone is different.

tatonka 01-15-2015 08:48 AM

I have idiopathic sfn and have had good luck with acupuncture for the last two years. It does not make the pain go away but it brings it down to a tolerable level. It is still definitely there, but manageable.The downside is that it requires continued weekly treatments, as it is not a cure for me.

I was on nortriptyline and could not sleep with bed sheets or wear socks and shoes. I have been able to stop the meds and sleep great now.

I wish it was a cure but I am happy and recommend one tries it.

Kitt 01-15-2015 10:17 AM

Welcome tatonka. :Wave-Hello:

Joe Duffer 01-16-2015 07:40 PM

My Neurologist & Acupuncture Practitioner

Alexandra Dimitrova, MD "Medical Acupuncture for the Treatment of Pain: Applications and Mechanism of Action" December 17, 2014 Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR

https://echo360ess.ohsu.edu:8443/ess...c-3a09c9a2e2b2

Scroll down and click: Alexandra Dimitrova, MD "Medical Acupuncture for the Treatment of Pain: Applications and Mechanism of Action" December 17 7:59 AM

Click PLAY on right side of screen to watch/listen to lecture.

northerngal 01-17-2015 07:57 PM

I did accupuncture with the electrodes every 4-6 weeks for four years. I found it very relaxing, good for overall well-being, and it even seemed to increase my energy for a few days. It did not improve my neuropathy or help with nerve regeneration for me

cyclelops 01-17-2015 08:03 PM

My daughter uses acupressure and acupuncture and has had good luck with it but her issues are not neuro. If I could afford it, I sure would try it!

Marie33 01-18-2015 12:57 AM

[QUOTE=Healthgirl;1118102]I am going to try my first session on Friday. My orthopedist recommends it. I spoke to the acupuncturist and she said she thinks she can fix me. She said she had someone with lyme who was in bad shape for years and is feeling much better after 4 treatments.

Hi Healthgirl,
I've always gotten mixed reviews on Acupuncture. My pain mangment doctor says its not really helpful on the "pathways" of the nerves in small fiber neuropathy. :rolleyes:
How are you feeling? Do you still feel the surges of buzzing and other painful symptoms you said you were getting? Is Lyme's Disease your Dx? Please let us know how your doing. I've always wondered if Acupuncture could help me. To bad my Ins doesn't cover it. 5 treatments for me could get expensive. Good luck with the Acupuncture.

Marie33 01-18-2015 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=northerngal;1118888]I did acupuncture with the electrodes every 4-6 weeks for four years. I found it very relaxing, good for overall well-being, and it even seemed to increase my energy for a few days. It did not improve my neuropathy or help with nerve regeneration for me

Hi northerngal,
Sorry to hear the acupuncture didn't improve your neuropathy pain.
Do you think there is such thing as "nerve regeneration"? I used to believe the nerves could regenerate or "heal"..I'm not so sure anymore. Sorry, hate to sound like a downer. But this I-sfn pain has been going on for 4 years now, and I've tried everything, from all the B Vitamins to keeping tight sugar control (I'm not Diabetic), nothing is helping.
I'm giving up hope. Having Idiopathic (sfn) nerve pain with no explanation when otherwise "healthy" is very discouraging and depressing. :(