NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello! Pain on side of head? (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/214784-hello-pain-head.html)

JacquiB50 01-14-2015 09:54 AM

Hello! Pain on side of head?

Hello, I've been reading through these forums and have found them interesting and informative. Thank you very much.
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a question on head pain? I have a small, bean-shaped swelling above (and slightly to the rear of) my left ear. It is painful and the pain goes up and over the top of the left side of my head. I get a weeping eye on the same side. Some days the pain is really quite severe - throbbing and aching and I have problems wearing my spectacles for any length of time. When my eye is sore it feels like it is being sucked in. I have some neck problems too and have consulted my doctor and a cranial osteopath. Doc says that I have a swollen lymph gland (I didn't know you had lymph glands above your ears?)and I have now been referred to a neurosurgeon and for an MRI scan on my neck to assess for mechanical/disc problems. (I had a skiing fall several years ago but no treatment other than x ray.) I am 50 years old and otherwise well apart from having total thyrodectomy six years ago and am on thyroxine.

My questions are - why might this little lymph gland be swollen? Could falling asleep with my glasses on have caused it? (It hurts right under where my glasses touch my head at the side) Could the lymph gland be linked to problems with my neck? (I know I do have some arthritis in my neck which was discovered after the skiing accident) What questions should I be asking the neurologist when I see him? Any tips for helping me cope with the pain and not be frightened by it?

Thank you so much.
Jacs.

Kitt 01-14-2015 10:32 AM

Welcome JacquiB50. :Wave-Hello:

mrsD 01-14-2015 11:12 AM

Welcome to NeuroTalk...

That area above the ear is where a lymph node is. That node I learned myself, when mine swelled up once on vacation, drains the upper face and eye socket areas. (I had a black fly bite on my eyelid in Maine). However when that node swells up it is bigger by far than a "bean".

But another cause is skin reactions to the eyeglasses legs you wear. There are long silicone sleeves at most eye care places you can buy cheaply that cover this area of your eyeglasses. I was having a reaction to the plastic in mine, and the acids in the skin that causes dermatitis for me. Some people are also allergic to the metal in metal frames. So try the silicone sleeves, and see if it heals up for you. These silicone things are not expensive.

Small bumps can also be neuromas, which are nervous tissue and those could hurt much more. If your frames are too tight and constantly compressing a nerve there, it might react and swell up.

Darlene 01-15-2015 02:57 AM

Great to meet you!!

Jacs,

:Wave-Hello: Hello and welcome, happy to see you have come to be with us, it a great place to be. As you can see we have a great number and caring fellow members here, where you have find a supportive and relaxing place. Have fun looking into the different forums. Our shoulders are here for support in many ways.

Please keep us up to date on your condition. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

Darlene :hug:

JacquiB50 01-15-2015 11:02 AM

Thank you - it's great to find some other people out there with similar problems. J x

JacquiB50 01-15-2015 11:03 AM

Thank you for your kind reply - I don't think that allergy is the issue, I think that it is to do with pressure. I'll keep on posting for advice. Take care and thanks again,
J x