NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   SSDI and 7 year review (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/214919-ssdi-7-review.html)

Ironbutterfly 01-17-2015 04:03 PM

SSDI and 7 year review

Husband was awarded fully favorable and review at 7 years. He was 55 at time (2yrs ago) at time of SSDI award. What happens when he turns 62? Will he automatically go on SS and if so, does his SSDI payment stay the same or do they calculate it based on his age 62 SS amount?

Thanks in advance

LIT LOVE 01-17-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironbutterfly (Post 1118851)
Husband was awarded fully favorable and review at 7 years. He was 55 at time (2yrs ago) at time of SSDI award. What happens when he turns 62? Will he automatically go on SS and if so, does his SSDI payment stay the same or do they calculate it based on his age 62 SS amount?

Thanks in advance

Unless his benefits are terminated, there would be no reason to switch at age 62, because that would mean a reduction of benefits. He will likely receive the short form CDR at 62, but maybe not. He could receive the CDR earlier than he anticipated as well. When he reaches full retirement age, (when he turns 66 1/2 I believe) SS will send a letter explaining how the conversion works. The amount generally stays the same--there can be instances where someone might receive more on their spouses record, etc.

Mz Migraine 01-21-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironbutterfly (Post 1118851)
He was 55 at time (2yrs ago) at time of SSDI award. What happens when he turns 62? Thanks in advance

Regular SS "retirement" at age 62 is a partial amount. If you elect the partial amount, that is the amount you will get for life. Never the FULL amount. CLICKY CLICK---> Age To Receive Full Social Security Benefits

:hug:

Mz Migraine 01-21-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1118870)
The amount generally stays the same--there can be instances where someone might receive more on their spouses record, etc.

The "disability" amount is higher than the normal SS "retirement" amount. I am going by my situation. SSDI asked me which amt I wanted, the SSDI amount or the regular SS "retirement" amount. Guess which one I picked? ;)

LIT LOVE 01-21-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mz Migraine (Post 1119481)
The "disability" amount is higher than the normal SS "retirement" amount. I am going by my situation. SSDI asked me which amt I wanted, the SSDI amount or the regular SS "retirement" amount. Guess which one I picked? ;)

Thank you. I remembered you posting that before but I was being lazy and didn't want to hunt for it. ;)

Ironbutterfly 01-22-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1119500)
Thank you. I remembered you posting that before but I was being lazy and didn't want to hunt for it. ;)

Thanks to all who replied.:wink: