NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Your age for the onset of Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/21530-age-onset-neuropathy.html)

Julie K 06-10-2007 01:08 PM

Your age for the onset of Neuropathy

I am told that Neuropathy is usually something seen in older people. I am 46 years old. Are there many people out there that are Under 55 with Neuropathy. It's very lonely not having people to talk to about this that understand what you are going through.

BEGLET 06-10-2007 01:51 PM

Hi Julie

Mine started at 43 (7 years ago) - so dont feel lonely - we have members of all ages.... and with neuropathy from many different causes, so welcome!

What type of neuropathy do you have, etc?

rose 06-10-2007 02:06 PM

I was in my 40s when began to be seriously affected by B12 deficiency damage to my spinal cord.

One of the reasons people go undiagnosed with this condition is the myth that only elderly people are affected by malabsorption. I know people in their twenties and thirties when severely damaged.

In some people the symptoms and signs masquerade as peripheral neuropathy until the central nervous system has been damaged and is worsening.

rose

LizaJane 06-10-2007 03:02 PM

started at 46, I'm now 56. So I'm another that doesn't fit the description of this idiopathic thing being a disease of older adults. It only makes me think there was a reason that has never been elucidated.

Julie K 06-10-2007 04:34 PM

It is believed to be caused from a Vitamine B6 defeciency. We are trying to get a balance of this Vitamine, but my body seems to be very sensitive. We went from being defecient to Toxic by only taking 50 mg. a day. I am taking 25mg now and will re-test in a few weeks. In the past year and 1/2 My nueropathy has progressed from my toes all the way up my legs and in my hands with pain in my arms at times. Today was the first time I felt burning in my thighs. And all I can do today is cry.

HeyJoe 06-10-2007 05:40 PM

I was 44 when i had my first PN symptom, a numb big toe. Sorry you are in pain today.

darlindeb25 06-10-2007 05:57 PM

I have celiac disease and was suffering malabsorption--I wasn't yet gluten free when my carpal tunnel was diagnosed at 43 yrs old. Wasn't very long after that when my toes all went numb, the doctor told me it was the same nerve as my hands.

Now, a neurologist is telling me he doesn't think it is neuropathy, even though another doc has diagnosed it. I guess, soon we will know--testing in the next 2 weeks.

Adastra 06-10-2007 05:58 PM

Tell us about yourself.

Hi Julie – sorry to hear you are in pain but I know many experienced people here will want to know more about the history of your peripheral neuropathy. What type of B6 vitamin you have been taking and what you mean by toxic.
What tests you have had done and whether you have seen a neurologist and what other drugs, vitamins or supplements you may be on. Please give answers to these matters here and you will receive help.
I wish you less pain – you have come to the right place. :)

Tony

Aussie99 06-10-2007 06:04 PM

I was 32 when mine came on.

It was a full body acute SF PN stemmed from an autoimmune attack.

Silverlady 06-10-2007 06:37 PM

Similar age

I was 58 when mine started, I'm now 62. Small Fiber Sensory Neuropathy from Sjogren's Syndrome.

I agree with Astra (Tony). Please tell us more about this B6 deficiency and toxicity.

Billye