NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Why Birds Fly in 'V' Formation (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/215612-birds-fly-formation.html)

EnglishDave 02-03-2015 07:10 AM

Why Birds Fly in 'V' Formation

According to a BBC News report on an Oxford University study, the following birds benefit from 'uplift' from the wings of leading birds.
But which bird leads? The study finds the birds work in individual pairs, rotating as leader/follower so each bird gets to rest.
Mother Nature, eh! Gotta love Her:In-Lurve:

Dave

EnglishDave 02-03-2015 08:05 AM

That's the address for the full article - how am I missing how to post links? :D

Dave.

Oh - I did it - Yay me!

Lara 02-03-2015 03:50 PM

Very interesting Dave. (p.s. and may I say congratulations on the link! ;) )

I lived in a different area for a little while at the end of last year and one of the neighbours there had homing pigeons. It was a rural area and hot as hades. Every afternoon at around 3 to 4 pm as the heat of the day was lifting and the breeze came up, he'd let his birds out to fly.

I'd make a cup of tea and sit on the verandah to watch them it so was fascinating. There were obviously younger birds and more experienced birds too. They would change leaders a lot and as the birds changed leaders, I noticed some would drop out and go back to their house. They only flew in a large circle of about 150 metres or so and always in the same direction. Sometimes I'd notice one or two birds would just leave the others and take off on their own.

I always thought it was a strange hobby, keeping caged birds like that, but it was fascinating to watch those birds. They certainly didn't look like the average pigeon. Anyway, sorry about the tangent.

EnglishDave 02-03-2015 06:39 PM

…And 'Bird-brained' is an insult! They are altruistic super-navigators who sense and understand air flow and flight dynamics better than our finest instruments.
Not to mention they are lovely to look at (and some taste good).

Dave.

Lara 02-04-2015 01:32 AM

Speaking of birds... check out these Starlings
- city of Rahat in the northern Israeli Negev desert.

EnglishDave 02-04-2015 06:14 AM

I have smaller flocks displaying the same some years over the fields outside my window, and every Autumn (not as pretty) an Unkindness of Crows, hundreds strong, fly from tree to tree every evening looking to roost.
But my favourite display? 'My' Barn Owls hunting, quartering the field, searching for prey. During nesting season they hunt all afternoon, and in rare years I have watched an adult (female?) training a juvenile.

Dave

mrsD 02-04-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1122075)
Speaking of birds... check out these Starlings
- city of Rahat in the northern Israeli Negev desert.

Yes, Lara the European starlings are incredible to watch....
I saw some wonderful video on a science show about the Balkans.
Their aerial displays are beautiful.