NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Last night legs were on fire. Whats next? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/215720-night-legs-fire-whats.html)

Healthgirl 02-05-2015 09:12 AM

Last night legs were on fire. Whats next?

I thought it couldn't get worse.:( Last night my legs from the knees down felt like they were standing dangerously close to to a camp fire. My entire body was having horrendous shooting pains and twitching throughout. I actually felt like muscles and joints are being eaten and my insides were trembling.
Can anyone tell me what happens next? I have read about the burning since I was diagnosed with SFN, but this was the first time it happened.
I almost went to the ER.

zkrp01 02-06-2015 01:38 PM

Can you say flare-up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1122320)
I thought it couldn't get worse.:( Last night my legs from the knees down felt like they were standing dangerously close to to a camp fire. My entire body was having horrendous shooting pains and twitching throughout. I actually felt like muscles and joints are being eaten and my insides were trembling.
Can anyone tell me what happens next? I have read about the burning since I was diagnosed with SFN, but this was the first time it happened.
I almost went to the ER.

I don't mean to be funny, I know the pain is maddening. Did you eat anything out of the ordinary? Did you eat or drink to excess? If you did, write it down as there may have to be a list.Nightshade vegetables for some people, simple carbohydrates for me. This can also be interpreted as healing or getting worse. Or just a flare. I had some relief for burning and tender skin on my feet with Mortons Epsom Salts Lotion. Good hunting, Ken in Texas.

Healthgirl 02-06-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkrp01 (Post 1122571)
I don't mean to be funny, I know the pain is maddening. Did you eat anything out of the ordinary? Did you eat or drink to excess? If you did, write it down as there may have to be a list.Nightshade vegetables for some people, simple carbohydrates for me. This can also be interpreted as healing or getting worse. Or just a flare. I had some relief for burning and tender skin on my feet with Mortons Epsom Salts Lotion. Good hunting, Ken in Texas.

I don't think it was food that set me off. I'm on a pretty mild gluten free diet, but it could be.
In the morning that day I applied capascin to my feet and it didn't do much of anything. Then, that evening I took a warm epsom bath (which I do about 4 times a week). It usually is soothing. The bath felt strange on my feet and then shortly after when I got into bed, my legs were on fire! I'm wondering if the capascin on my feet from the morning was not a good mix with the warm water and set me off? It didn't happen last night (but I was terrified to take a bath so......) I just got the rest of the painful symptoms, but was thankful that the burning was not another permanent situation.

janieg 02-06-2015 08:16 PM

Are you able to exercise at all HealthGirl? I've had a few really bad days in a row, and just went out and walked three miles today for the time in a few months. I thought I'd pay for it tonight, but I actually feel pretty good.

One day does not make for a trend, but if physical activity actually helps my symptoms, I'll force myself to do it.

madisongrrl 02-07-2015 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1122631)
I don't think it was food that set me off. I'm on a pretty mild gluten free diet, but it could be.
In the morning that day I applied capascin to my feet and it didn't do much of anything. Then, that evening I took a warm epsom bath (which I do about 4 times a week). It usually is soothing. The bath felt strange on my feet and then shortly after when I got into bed, my legs were on fire! I'm wondering if the capascin on my feet from the morning was not a good mix with the warm water and set me off? It didn't happen last night (but I was terrified to take a bath so......) I just got the rest of the painful symptoms, but was thankful that the burning was not another permanent situation.

I have what they think is acute onset SFN in my whole body. Baths were fine at the beginning, but after a few months caused more issues. Often times I would be exposed to a stimulus (like warm/hot water) and several hours to several days later I would have high levels of pain and burning that caused me to consider going to the ER. It is debilitating for sure. And I consider myself to be a very tough woman!

Healthgirl 02-09-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisongrrl (Post 1122672)
I have what they think is acute onset SFN in my whole body. Baths were fine at the beginning, but after a few months caused more issues. Often times I would be exposed to a stimulus (like warm/hot water) and several hours to several days later I would have high levels of pain and burning that caused me to consider going to the ER. It is debilitating for sure. And I consider myself to be a very tough woman!

Yes, I am afraid to take another bath. Terrified actually. It's very upsetting because it was the ONLY thing that was soothing to my poor hurting back and neck. To top it all off, my husband just finished installing a brand new deep soaking tub for me and I was just going to get to use it this week!

Healthgirl 02-09-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1122639)
Are you able to exercise at all HealthGirl? I've had a few really bad days in a row, and just went out and walked three miles today for the time in a few months. I thought I'd pay for it tonight, but I actually feel pretty good.

One day does not make for a trend, but if physical activity actually helps my symptoms, I'll force myself to do it.

Hi Janieg,
Depending on the day and the pain, I can walk. I can't run since this happened because my hip joints hurt and feel like they go out of place. Before this happened I worked out everyday doing interval training. It made me feel so good and strong.
So now I walk on the days I can. Walking and stretching is all I can do right now. I tried to do about 10 squats one day and I paid for it. It doesn't seem that my muscles, joints, and ligaments can recover. I wish I knew why. I'm still desperately hoping its the low copper and ferritin.

mrsD 02-09-2015 03:00 PM

People with PN should stay away from steam rooms, heating pads (no more than 10-15 minutes tops), hot baths, etc. These just overstimulate nerves. They result in more long lasting pain if used frequently.

The only neuropathy exception is RSD (CRPS)...those patients cannot tolerate cold and seek out warmth.

You can get the magnesium you need from Morton Epsom lotion used in small amounts once a day rubbed into the affected area. If you choose to soak in epsom salts instead, use only lukewarm water-- never hot.
Also don't put too much epsom salts in the water, as it can sting dry broken skin. One application to an area can last 2 or more days, so you can rotate application sites.

The nerves that register heat seem affected first in SFN...with cold sensing nerves last. That is why menthol or ice packs work well, because they block the erroneous heat sensing nerves and give temporary relief.

jenng 02-09-2015 07:46 PM

Capsaicin cream didn't work for me. When my burning pain hits, Biofreeze seems to bring the most relief. I can still tolerate warm epsom salt baths. About 20 mins. then I take a coolish shower.

cyclelops 02-10-2015 08:29 PM

I have used capsaicin and not felt a thing, until a day later. Then it would burn for days. I would suspect the capsaicin.