NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   myoclonic jerksHi, (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/216026-myoclonic-jerkshi.html)

john1947 02-12-2015 06:57 AM

myoclonic jerksHi,

Ive been having these jerks since october.They came after a botched epidural for my lower I say botched because I had alot of pain afterwards and my PD was aweful.the shot did me no good never again.
The jerks first started coming after I sat.Then they came after i started moing around.They also can go away for awhile .Stress,more exertio,gapepentin all seems to make them worse.
If you get simular sysmptoms please let me know
thanks
john.

olsen 02-12-2015 04:10 PM

myoclonic jerks

My husband (PWP) experiences myoclonic jerks. His neurologist offered Keppra for the jerking if it bothered him. These rarely bother him, so no meds prescribed

Aunt Bean 02-14-2015 10:57 AM

I read about myoclonic jerks....sounds like what I have had since as long as I can remember. A jerk that sends a tidal wave effect thru my body, like a shiver...but, even when I am not cold. It doesn't happen very often and at no specific time. Might have one 3 times a week or more. They have been part of me all my life I guess. People usually ask if I am cold.

slashman48 02-14-2015 03:30 PM

I had a few myoclonic jerks after I was first diagnosed with PD.. Mine were like when you are just falling asleep and your whole body jerks you awake. Haven't had any lately though.

TRDORTON 02-15-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slashman48 (Post 1124094)
I had a few myoclonic jerks after I was first diagnosed with PD.. Mine were like when you are just falling asleep and your whole body jerks you awake. Haven't had any lately though.

Hi Slashman, My name is Tim and I'm new here. I have PD and something just like you described. My doctor says it's called hypnic seizures. I described it as when I am about to get to sleep or in a relaxed state, an explosion would happen in my back (just one) that is very violent. He gave me some epileptic meds like Primidone (500 mg) and Clonazepam (3mg/day). I still get them, but less often and less violent. Hope this helps.

slashman48 02-15-2015 11:16 PM

Thanks, Tim. I haven't had any myoclonic jerks or hypnic seizures in about 6 months (fingers crossed) and when I did it was only a couple a week for about a month. It might have been when I was changing meds and/or was very stressed out at the time.

john1947 02-21-2015 10:42 AM

Update,
The jerks went away for awhile after i started ibuprofen.I think it was a coincidence like all the other remissions i have.
The jerks were more severe after they came back.Just have to avoid with overexertion,don't think pd drugs make much difference.
My nero hasnt helped much,more interested in making videos than helping find a solution,haha
Going to see a new nero Monday Im getting a eeg an had blood done today.Ifound a few others who had very very simular symptom after the epidural.I think mine maybe a tore nerve as i jumped when I got the shot.All this is subjection.i appreciate the feedback and will let you all know the final results.
john

john1947 02-25-2015 09:09 PM

myoclonic jerks

Hi, I looked up the eplisey foundation.There were list of triggers for sezziours
.I found my worst episodes were in the morning,to much coffee little food and meds produced problems.low morning sugar,caffeine,sleep shortage can magnify the jerks.My CK was high also and my gfr was high,
Should know more tomorrow.

john1947 02-27-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDORTON (Post 1124287)
Hi Slashman, My name is Tim and I'm new here. I have PD and something just like you described. My doctor says it's called hypnic seizures. I described it as when I am about to get to sleep or in a relaxed state, an explosion would happen in my back (just one) that is very violent. He gave me some epileptic meds like Primidone (500 mg) and Clonazepam (3mg/day). I still get them, but less often and less violent. Hope this helps.

I wonder why this problem is so rareive only found a few that were even aware of it
Thanks so much for replying.havnt tried meds yet Im glad you have a doctor who recognizes itas not stress