NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Ortho visit (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/216096-ortho-visit.html)

Always_Believe 02-13-2015 01:35 PM

Ortho visit

So I went to a new ortho today...Overview:
1) X-ray of left knee (due to left knee fracture history/pain) & ankle (due to random swelling/pain...both were negative for fractures
2) He did the whole range/stability thing on both legs, then mashed on my left knee quite a bit
3) Said x-ray looks like I have some early arthritis. Wanted to do a lidocaine/cortisone injection into my knee to see if it halts the pain (if it does-there's a problem inside the knee; if it doesn't- "It may be this "RSD" you speak of"...it did help the pain in my knee...caused some burning pain in my thigh; foot ice cold; felt like I was walking on fire when I put weight on it.
4) Ordered an MRI; Dexa scan (said my bones look way older than I am-most likely osteoporosis); and a bunch of bloodwork (CBC,CMP,ESR,CRP,Vit D,PTH)

Now, we wait...again...:icon_cry:

Littlepaw 02-13-2015 04:28 PM

Hi There,

Glad you finally got in! I think it is hopeful you got some immediate relief with the injection. Remember the cortisone will take some time to do it's thing, so hopefully even more relief is on the way. I have had a couple injections to my foot trying to reduce scar tissue from the surgeries. Similar reaction, my foot went ice cold. Probably something with the local even with no epinephrine so maybe don't worry about that too much. I experienced that both times and found the injections helpful after an initial few days of feeling kind of weird. Maybe things will calm down in there for you! Go Knee!

Littlepaw :hug:

Russell 02-13-2015 04:42 PM

Hi Always,
It's always nice to hear some good news. Although we all share in this monster everyone seems to have different ways of finding relief. That makes it hard to nail down sometimes.
This time it was good news and I'm glad. I'm sure you are too.
I hope you find more...:)

Always_Believe 02-13-2015 06:15 PM

Thank you!!
The lidocaine has officially worn off and if I could bend my knee far enough, I would be curling up into a little ball right now....so much pain! I hope the cortisone does it's stuff but to be honest, I'm not holding much hope that it will. My belief is the core cause of my knee pain is an active meniscus tear. (For the life of me I can't get my leg/foot warm enough no matter what I try-of course since my bathroom was just painted, the tub is full of stuff so I can't soak :( )

Littlepaw 02-13-2015 06:42 PM

No Fun! Might be the dreaded "steroid flare" that can take a couple days to settle. Hopefully your MRI will show something. If it is a tear does this ortho do PRP?

Littlepaw

Always_Believe 02-13-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepaw (Post 1123931)
No Fun! Might be the dreaded "steroid flare" that can take a couple days to settle. Hopefully your MRI will show something. If it is a tear does this ortho do PRP?

Littlepaw

I have no idea...in fact, thank you for sharing that information, I had never heard of it before! I doubt he does...didn't seem to know anything about RSD...not that I expected him to, even though he was quite thorough. Hoping for a neuro referral next. And something to reduce this pain enough to function...:thud:

Littlepaw 02-13-2015 07:38 PM

If you end up having a condition amenable to PRP you can probably find someone in your area just googling your town and prolotherapy. PRP is usually not covered by insurance but cost is not outrageous. I have not had PRP myself, kind of wish I had tried it for initial my rupture that never healed. My stepmother did it for tennis elbow and was pleased with results. Keep in mind they do say it will cause a temporary increase in inflammation.

:hug: Littlepaw

Always_Believe 02-13-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepaw (Post 1123944)
If you end up having a condition amenable to PRP you can probably find someone in your area just googling your town and prolotherapy. PRP is usually not covered by insurance but cost is not outrageous. I have not had PRP myself, kind of wish I had tried it for initial my rupture that never healed. My stepmother did it for tennis elbow and was pleased with results. Keep in mind they do say it will cause a temporary increase in inflammation.

:hug: Littlepaw

I'm already having to claw and scratch to find MD's who accept medicaid and being that I'm on medicaid, I probably can't afford the PRP. I have no idea if my injection today was even covered :icon_question:. This whole everything is really getting to me.

birchlake 02-13-2015 08:17 PM

So sorry to hear about your latest problems. Always something seems to be our mantra here.

The MRI should absolutely be able to tell you if you have a meniscus tear. I'm a veteran of 5 knee surgeries and inching towards a total knee replacement. But I'd definitely get that MRI; it's absolutely the gold standard of knee imaging.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Littlepaw 02-13-2015 09:24 PM

I was quoted $300 which included the draw and spin down of platelets then injection. So not too bad considering the crazy costs of healthcare. Steroid injection falls under standard pratice and is not unusual to get for arthritic joints. Typically covered....

Littlepaw