NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/)
-   -   help with myoclonus (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/216617-help-myoclonus.html)

john1947 02-26-2015 08:23 AM

help with myoclonus

Hi,
I started having myoclonic jerks about 4 months nowI think I know the why but Ill just stick to how to help.
read a article from the epilsy foundation about the triggers.WOWthe light came,lol
Culprits.To much coffee,now decaf tappering off reg.Sleep was better now with less caffeine.Make sure to eat a good balenced diet low in sugar.
So far the jeks have mimumized.Keep my fingers crossed
Im a PD patient also and there is a chance it might be connected.I will know more as time proceeds.
I love to do puzzles like this .Figured out my MI with help of DR. Low.I Have little nervous symptoms(depression) now even with PD and the jerks.
I sruggle with my temper but I always win the battle now
Men live to act not to philosophize.Dr.Abraham Low founder of RI
Best wishes.
john

Porkette 02-27-2015 06:50 AM

Hi John,

I've had myoclonic sz. with some jerking around but after I started taking Vimpat 300 mg. a day the sz. stopped. I also have absence and complex partial sz. also but they were greatly reduced once I started vimpat. Another thing that has helped that you may want to try is Vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day. B12 helps calm a persons nerves and it has greatly reduced my sz. over the yrs.
You may want to ask your Dr. to do a sleep study on you along with an e.e.g. at the same time. I had this done and that's when they found out I was having sz. in my sleep this may be what's causing the problem for you just like when someone has a sleep disorder it can sometimes trigger sz./
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

john1947 02-27-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkette (Post 1126298)
Hi John,

I've had myoclonic sz. with some jerking around but after I started taking Vimpat 300 mg. a day the sz. stopped. I also have absence and complex partial sz. also but they were greatly reduced once I started vimpat. Another thing that has helped that you may want to try is Vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day. B12 helps calm a persons nerves and it has greatly reduced my sz. over the yrs.
You may want to ask your Dr. to do a sleep study on you along with an e.e.g. at the same time. I had this done and that's when they found out I was having sz. in my sleep this may be what's causing the problem for you just like when someone has a sleep disorder it can sometimes trigger sz./
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Sue,
I will contact my doctoron thesleep studyI had one a few years ago and have been using a cpac which helps with my apnea.Ill have to maybe do one again along with the cpac.Ill tell my doctor about the drug.My jerks are unpridictable thought i had it with so many things but still come s backstill better now with low caffein.Thanks so much for replying ill keep in touch
john

Porkette 02-28-2015 06:31 AM

Hi John,
If you have sleep apnea that could be a lot of the problem because lack of sleep along with stress are the 2 main things that can trigger sz. for a person.
When you have you sleep study done make sure that the Dr. is doing a e.e.g. and a e.k.g. at the same time you are having the sleep study done. I was told to stay up all night before I had the study done and this is what really helped my Dr. find out that I was having sz. in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up each day.
Also if you use a cell phone often that has been known to trigger sz. for some people. I found out about this when I noticed I was having a lot of sz. when there were many people around using their cell phones at the same time and I ended up having sz. My Dr. did a e.e.g. on me and I didn't know it but during part of the e.e.g. she purposely had staff use their cell phones and each time they did the e.e.g. wave spiked up high. This showed that I was cell phone sensitive meaning that the frequency the cell phones are using are triggering sz. for me. Thanks for keeping me posted. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue