NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Increase Mestinon (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/216982-increase-mestinon.html)

FREDH 03-05-2015 04:45 PM

Increase Mestinon

Just yesterday, I called my Nuro about my symptoms starting to get a little worse. I have always had milder symptoms than some folks, But still a problem.
He had me increase my Mestinon from 4 (60m) a day to 5. No problem with that, as I have heard several of you folks talking about increase in dosage. He surprised me though with the statement that I could take every 31/2 hours or if I wanted, I could take 2 (60m) in the A.M. and then the other 3. I have not heard that before. I wondered if anyone had taken it like that.
I will be interested to hear from anyone about that.
FREDH

Juanitad 03-05-2015 06:57 PM

My neuro lets me take my mestinon on my own schedule, but if I take it too close together, I have some bad gastro problems. That will probably be your determining factor. My usual schedule is 60 every 3-4 hours (depending on how I'm feeling). If I go much closer than that, I have problems. However, some people can take it closer and in much higher dosages and have no problems. I think it all depends on your body.

Good luck on finding the right schedule for you!

anon6618 03-08-2015 08:53 AM

Though there are average numbers you can use in the beginning, which most neurologists will, mestinon dosage is very personal.

It depends on a whole bunch of things, what you eat, drink, other meds, your age, gender, weight, metabolism, etcetera. I think mestinon has this more compared to other drugs, probably because it works so fast and short?

Anyway, my friend who has MG is better off with 3 times 120 mg. I on the other hand, rather take it more often and less, so around 7 times a day, +/- 90 mg a take.
It can even change in time, I used to take way less because more simply gave me side effects without extra strength. I took 3x 60 and more gave signs of cholinestic issues, which cause weakness too.
And, I used to take it on set time ("every 3 hours"), but now those years later I've learned to take it when I feel the last dose is wearing out.

Always keep in mind too much mestinon (which again is a very personal dosage) can cause weakness too.

I hope the 5 a day works for you!

richimahan 03-08-2015 07:43 PM

Dosage

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREDH (Post 1127693)
Just yesterday, I called my Nuro about my symptoms starting to get a little worse. I have always had milder symptoms than some folks, But still a problem.
He had me increase my Mestinon from 4 (60m) a day to 5. No problem with that, as I have heard several of you folks talking about increase in dosage. He surprised me though with the statement that I could take every 31/2 hours or if I wanted, I could take 2 (60m) in the A.M. and then the other 3. I have not heard that before. I wondered if anyone had taken it like that.
I will be interested to hear from anyone about that.
FREDH

Hi!! I don't think that's unusual. My dosage is 60mg every 90 minutes, and Timespan 180mg twice daily. My MG is severe, all symptoms. Every one is different :) The meds totally make the difference, in my case. A:eek:ggravation: the frequent doses. Your situation should be monitored, because too much mestinon can actually bring-on MG symptoms or severity. My dosage was titrated and monitored for 9 months until we got it right. Good luck! Peace...r-

mimc 03-08-2015 11:07 PM

I can't take two mestinon at once. I take 60mg when I wake up, then a second pill one hour later. After that I take them 2hr and 15min apart for a total of 7 per day on most days. It is just different for everyone I think

FREDH 03-09-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richimahan (Post 1128305)
Hi!! I don't think that's unusual. My dosage is 60mg every 90 minutes, and Timespan 180mg twice daily. My MG is severe, all symptoms. Every one is different :) The meds totally make the difference, in my case. A:eek:ggravation: the frequent doses. Your situation should be monitored, because too much mestinon can actually bring-on MG symptoms or severity. My dosage was titrated and monitored for 9 months until we got it right. Good luck! Peace...r-

Wow. Thanks for that
FREDH

FREDH 03-09-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw (Post 1128189)
Though there are average numbers you can use in the beginning, which most neurologists will, mestinon dosage is very personal.

It depends on a whole bunch of things, what you eat, drink, other meds, your age, gender, weight, metabolism, etcetera. I think mestinon has this more compared to other drugs, probably because it works so fast and short?

Anyway, my friend who has MG is better off with 3 times 120 mg. I on the other hand, rather take it more often and less, so around 7 times a day, +/- 90 mg a take.
It can even change in time, I used to take way less because more simply gave me side effects without extra strength. I took 3x 60 and more gave signs of cholinestic issues, which cause weakness too.
And, I used to take it on set time ("every 3 hours"), but now those years later I've learned to take it when I feel the last dose is wearing out.

Always keep in mind too much mestinon (which again is a very personal dosage) can cause weakness too.

I hope the 5 a day works for you!

It is better so far!!!
Thanks
FREDH

FREDH 03-09-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimc (Post 1128336)
I can't take two mestinon at once. I take 60mg when I wake up, then a second pill one hour later. After that I take them 2hr and 15min apart for a total of 7 per day on most days. It is just different for everyone I think

I am getting a wide amount of answers on this. Seems to really vary. I had no idea you could may so many ways to take it.
Thanks--FREDH

southblues 03-11-2015 08:08 PM

I have been using 1/2 of a tablet (so 30 mg) every couple of hours. The side effects are less and it seems to help a lot.

FREDH 03-12-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 1128965)
I have been using 1/2 of a tablet (so 30 mg) every couple of hours. The side effects are less and it seems to help a lot.

Maybe I will try that also. I am noticing some minor side affects from the increase to 5-60m per day
Thanks FREDH