NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Anyone Here Had An Epidural Injection? (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/21713-epidural-injection.html)

lailavia 06-12-2007 10:48 PM

Anyone Here Had An Epidural Injection?

I am set up for one at a Spine Center/Pain Managent Place the 22 June. I have severe pain in my right thigh, and was referred by rheumatologist. Sounds like you can only have one series a year, may or may not help, but may provide permanent relief? Doctor said (he is an anethesiologist) if it doesn't work they will try other things.

I'm kind of worried about side effects and wondering if anyone got relief and if not what is next? I have herniated disks he is thinking causing nerve root problems. He said my mri didn't even look that bad but this pain is awful.

I have fibro and have ultram and zanaflex, he didn't want to give me anything elst for now so as not to mask the pain before the shot.

jakatak 06-12-2007 11:41 PM

I have

An epidural is almost painless....the affect of the procedure can take up to a week. The numbing agent masks any pain at first. It is a relatively quick procedure and results depend on what you are getting the injection for.

junk4myemail 06-13-2007 12:16 AM

I have RSD. I had a nerve block done on Wednesday, May 23rd. It lasted 2 1/2 days at a pain level of 2. IT WAS GREAT. I LOVED GOOFING OFF AND LAUGHING WITH MY SON AGAIN.

In my readings, the first one lasts for a short time, and the second should last longer. EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT.

My pain management doctor doesn't want to do another block. Since I had a positive result he believes that a Nerve Stimulator would last longer than a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th nerve block.

You will be fine. The only thing I would suggest is that you have your muscle relaxers refilled. My muscles in my back acted up afterwards.

:grouphug:

lailavia 06-13-2007 09:57 PM

Thank you both...

for the replies...I'm new at the spine disorders forum. What is RSD? And did anyone lose control of bladder? Jakatak, how long did the total pain relief last? What next: if they can only do so many shots, do they usually do rx narcotics after that, this place wants to avoid surgery. Supposed to be state of the art.

Bobbi 06-14-2007 01:26 AM

RSD = Reflex Sympathy Dystrophy

One series per year? Is your doc alluding to one 3 shot sequence in a specific area of the body? the number frame that Medicaid (sp?) or Medicare covers?

I've had more than 3 ESIs per year - and for different areas. It sounds like your doc is citing the sum covered by Medicaid or Medicare per year.

Side effects? If you are female and are pre-menopausal, it can throw off your monthly cycle (and hormonal stuff). Too, among some, the steroids can also affect the adrenal glands. I felt feverish for a long while and was also mis-diagnosed for months on-end as prematurely post-menopausal - following lab results for FSH and Estradiol and lining levels after transvaginal U/Ss - done repeatedly. As an effect of that mis-dx, my docs also thought I had some type of cancer. Took several months and rounds of tests (totally unwarranted) for docs to finally realize it was steroids throwing everything out of sync.

Make sure all of your doctors do know about the steroids, if you are female. I'd hate to see someone else go through such a frightening roller coaster.

I'd ask you doc what the doc plans next if the injections may not work - since your doc did broach the topic with you without delving more deeply into what might be next. It is different for each person.

sandim 06-14-2007 01:28 AM

If you have lost control of your bladder, you need to be seen by an orthopedic back surgeon or a neurological surgeon as soon as possible. It may be Cauda Equina syndrome which has a very, very short window of opportunity to minimize permanent nerve damage, especially since you have or appear to have lost control of your bladder.
Call on today, first thing in the morning and tell them that you have lost control of your bladder. I bet you anything, they will get you in faster than you can say go......
I have CES and it is not something that you want to have to learn to live with, especially when all it would take to avoid it is making a phone call to a surgeon's office.
Sandi

Bobbi 06-14-2007 01:44 AM

Sandi is right; if you've already experienced loss of bladder control, it's an emergent (emergency health) condition - nothing to mess around with.

If you have not and you are asking if, following ESIs, folks lose bladder control: Most generally do not, if the procedure is done right and not by some hack or loose-witted doctor. The doctor should be using a C-Arm or live-guided x-ray for precise needle placement. If the doctor isn't, wanna let me do an ESI on you blindfolded? It's akin.

Following ESIs, the worst could be a temporary increase in pain or symptoms. Those feelings, however, should dissipate with a bit of time.

It seems, to me, and maybe I am mistaken: you and your doctor need to have more of a discussion prior to consenting to an ESI or ESIs.

Until I felt at-ease prior to my first ESI, I cancelled. Much also depends on how one feels prior; it can also affect the outcome. I was not comfortable or at-ease prior to when my first one was scheduled. I re-scheduled until I had time for my questions to be resolved.

ejbpesca 06-14-2007 08:58 PM

Yes and I'll never have another one but I do have friends who like them.

lailavia 06-16-2007 08:22 PM

Thanks

Re: the bladder thing....It was listed as a possible side effect of the shot.(temporary thing)...the place is supposed to be real good, all the docs are anesthesiologists, so I do not feel too worried, just the normal anxiety! ok I seem to have alot to learn.....I may be mistaken about the number shot sequences you can get....I will have my questions ready. Thanks to all for the replies. How long does the pain relief generally last you guys? I heard somewhere that the first week the lidocaine completly numbs the pain before the steroid kicks in. And those steroid side effects sound yuck.

For those not liking it may I ask why?

moose53 06-16-2007 08:44 PM

I've had epidurals -- both neck and lumbar. Some worked. Some didn't.

For me, they are NOT painless. I always get a vagal response and come real close to passing out. Especially the ones in my neck. They've now learned to give me a drug beforehand that lessens that.

I had one two years ago in the lumbar. Fluoroscope-guided. Lasted over a year. Absolute joy :D

I had one in my neck about two months ago. Weird. One week after, I had pain in my neck, shoulder, forearm -- but, not in my upper arm or my hand or fingers. Just like the pain was breaking up. After three weeks, it was pretty much no pain.

I just had one in my lumbar spine about a week ago. Supposed to be fluoroscope-guided. Wasn't :mad: But, the director of the pain management center did this one personally. I think they were short-staffed. I got really horrendous facial flushing from this one -- never happened before.

I almost always turn into STEROID-WITCH for about 6 weeks after (PURE RAGE). Hasn't happened yet on this one. Didn't happen as much last month either, come to think of it.

I go to one of the best teaching hospitals in Boston. They'll do three shots per year -- sometimes four. They're like gold -- I only get them when I absolutely cannot stand the pain anymore. Having the neck and the lumbar fratzed at the same was kicking me to the curb.

You have to be real careful of steroids. You can lose your hips if you get too many injections.

I prefer the fluoroscope-guided ones because I have such weird architecture in my lumbar. They will NOT do the ones in the neck that way here. I think they're usually willing to do them that way in the lumbar because they get more money -- I truly believe that the reason I didn't get it this time was because of short-staffing.

I would NEVER in a million years say that they're painless -- very painful -- for me anyway :eek: Then you throw in the vagal response, always gotta be someone there making sure they don't have to scrape me off the floor :D

When they work, they're a G-d-send. When they don't work, it's like finding out that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy don't exist -- heartbreaking.

Barb

shiney sue 06-16-2007 09:01 PM

My

Bob had 1 Monday and he looks and feels so much better,and not
using his walker. He's 78 has 4 girlfriends in there 60's and there
smiling again as well. :cool: he's one cool dude. Sue

treesgirl 06-18-2007 03:52 PM

Epiduarl Injection answers

First off, I have to say I agree with your Dr. about trying other things first. I dealt with almost two years of pain and every possible treatment for pain BEFORE deciding to have surgery for a sequestered disc problem.

In a period of 8 months I had three injections. For me I found them to be painless. The only thing that gave me a little "ouch" was the numbing medication injection. I had wonderful relief from the first two and the third one didn't do much for me. I then went on to have selective nerve root blocks - which is something COMPLETELY different from an epidural steroid injection. (and i thought the nerve root injections were painful- but then again I refused sedation!) :rolleyes:

The only side effect I had from the epidural is a headache later that day. Which is very common. But the headache was well worth the couple of months of relief. Remember it can take up to a week for the injection to kick in, mine usually took 5-6 days.
Again, everyone is different and has different pain thresholds... The last epidural I got, the Dr. missed a spot with the numbing meds- and i felt a bit of a jab, and he immediately stopped and gave re-numbed part of the area.

Make sure you are comfortable with the Dr. you are seeing, if they don't fully answer your questions, then find someone else if possible. When dealing with your back health, I think it is SO important to find a Dr. that is right for you.
Good for you that you ahve a Dr. that wants to try other otions before rushing you off to surgery. I think surgery should be a last resort.

Good luck!
Treesgirl

lailavia 06-21-2007 09:59 PM

Thanks everyone

tomorrow is the Big Day. I'll let you know how it went......:eek:

Bobbi 06-22-2007 02:18 AM

Good luck... and just go in with positive thoughts toward the outcome/effects it may have for you.

Remember, too, each person is unique and, thus, differing results.

But... Be positive about yours and just see what happens.

It will be nice to know how your procedure goes. Rest, rest, rest and ice if needed :).

Doody 06-23-2007 05:12 PM

(((Lailavia))) Wondering how it went for you.

I'm a bit late in responding that yes, I had tons of epidurals both cervical and lumbar. Actually, the cervical were quite painful. The lumbar not as bad.

Sometimes the lumbar worked okay, and sometimes not. Then a new pain doc replaced my old one and said he wanted to try something different and gave me an SI. He said (this was some years ago) that doctors were only then starting to discover that often sacroiliac joints were the suspect. Once I started having those, I had tremendous pain relief. I don't get the epidurals anymore. I may be due for one in my neck but really really don't want to go through that if I can manage the pain.

I hope you have great success with your series of injections. Mine took as long as up to 14 days to work so don't be discouraged if you don't have pain relief immediately.

lailavia 06-23-2007 10:49 PM

Thanks everyone!

Well it wasn't that bad...the doc is so nice, good humor kept me laughing....to the point I was wondering if I should be holding more still! It was a brand new place with flouroscopy xray, done by anesthesiologist. I don't even really know him it was my second consult with the procedure, but He is a truly nice doc. The worst part was that initial stick.....then when it was done my leg was quite numb and him and his asst. had to help me to the recovery chair. I had to sit and wiggle my leg till I could walk out to waiting room on my own, well the assistant was holding my arm, but she said I would have to bear my own weight. That passed soon.....oh it did feel like he was doing little sticks here and there, I thought they just shot the stuff into the big hole they made. Too giggly to ask! Yay for happy docs!:winky:

He wants me to come back in a week for next one, I forgot to ask how many but according to their pamphlet I think they do three.....My back is a little sore, they told me not to bend over and pick up stuff,,,,,ice for first day, I was tired anyway from lack of sleep so I took a nap....still feel kind of out of it....listless...but I am having pms so who knows.

Definiately good place so far... whether or not it will help for how long, we will see. He said could last a year? I hope so! Thanks for encougagement. I wish I had the energy to work in the medical field! I guess I must be numbed up in there cause not having a pain flare...:winky:

Doody 06-25-2007 04:52 PM

Oh that's great news! I'm so glad you have a good doc. Those things do sting, and that's putting it mildly!

When I was getting mine I think 3 injections/year was the limit, but I could be wrong. If the first one didn't work, I'd go back for another. When I started having them in 1986, they actually did them in surgery rooms between surgeries and would knock you out for them! Those were the good ole days! Didn't feel a thing.

Then insurance came along and said, "Hey, these people don't need to be numbed up for this stuff, they can endure the pain." :rolleyes: I was not a happy camper when that happened!

And yes, those shots can last for a long time. I know my SI injections are often very successful for a good length of time.

Keep us posted! :hug:

lailavia 06-25-2007 10:44 PM

wondering...

they want me back this Friday for another one, and then I think they do one more.....not sure...if it takes a week to see if it works, why would they do another so soon? I always think of a thousand questions after the fact. It does seem a bit better....I still feel a bit off in the head LOL like that usual anyways. I had asked him if the steroid would affect like oral prednisone and he said not enough should get in the bloodstream but to let him know how I felt. I do not need any more emo problems...then again it could be the hormones..Lets hope for the best...doesn't seem as bad now....don't know if thats still from numbing agent or the actual shot...keep hearing different versions...nightie night

BJ 06-26-2007 06:25 AM

Glad it's over

I'm glad this got bumped up because I forgot where I was reading it. :confused:

I'm so glad that it wasn't too bad and even more so your doc had you laughing. :hug:

I have my first one on Friday and I'm a nervous wreck. I'm such a big baby when it comes to needles and I can't even imagine them sticking this big old needle in my back. My NS said I'd be getting 3 I think every other week. :eek:

Quote:

"Hey, these people don't need to be numbed up for this stuff, they can endure the pain."
I hope you're not serious Doody. :(

lailavia 06-26-2007 10:28 PM

Don't worry!

It wasn't bad at all...I mean you do feel one jab actually mine was so quick then the rest of what he did you do not feel at all....I was already on my anxiety meds..you may want to ask if they can give you a little ativan or something...but I was back for my procedure so fast, in and out within the hour....do put ice pacs on your back though, they should tell you this, and I did notice my back felt sore for a few days...and dont' bend and lift stuff,,,,,anything I missed? I was tired, but then again I had to get up early for me and I am always a mess if I don't get my 8 hours! Good luck. You'll do fine!:p Let us know how yours' went ok? I have to go back Friday!

lailavia 06-29-2007 10:42 PM

got second one today

of the epidural one. He seemed more rushed today and I felt more jabs...yak:eek: maybe I should have asked for more numbing stuff...anyway my leg wasnt' numb this time so I had dh drive me to Kmart so I could get dear granddaugher a swimsuit with my giftcard...if you get an rx you got a 25$ gift card, here in MD....check your papers quick, it may have been local....anyway....I got real sore in the store and went home and put on ice then I way overdid it. I fertilized plants and backflushed pool. I am sitting with my ice pack and taking tramadol. I was hoping to get something better but hes's acting like this will fix me for a year....said it takes 24 to 48 hours to kick in...my leg is killing me..I go for one more in 2 weeks if this doesn't do it....then I don't know what if it doesn't work. How did yours go Me bp?

BJ 06-30-2007 08:11 PM

I'm so sorry that yours didn't come out well. I hope by now you've been able to get some relief from it. :hug:

Mine never happened. It's a long story but I went there, filled out all the papers and then told I was flushed. I said yes, the heat indices are 105 and I'm hot. But I had a temp and today I feel horrible but still went to work to make up time. But, it doesn't matter much any more anyway.

I hope you feel better soon and that the next ones are not as bad.

I'll be thinking of you and praying that you get some relief. And thanks for asking about me. :hug:

lailavia 06-30-2007 10:25 PM

Oh I'm sorry

i hope you are feeling better. Actually my leg IS feeling better today....last time it lasted about half a week. I tried to not overdue it...but even the normal stuff made my back hurt...hopefully the leg pain relief will last. Are you scheduled for another? I guess the procedure affects your back muscles. I actually watched on the screen where they were doing the struff, saw my spine, etc..

lindarmern 01-18-2008 01:58 AM

ESI Flare

I have had a total of 11 ESI's for the three herniated disc I have in my back L4-5, L5-S1, L3-4, they keep telling me that my MRI dosent look bad at all and that they cannt understand why i am in so much pain the last two ESI's were different than any before going straight to the S1 area and the pics showed great spread of the die, the first one seemed to help alot the tingling in my left foot and calf and some of the pain in m lower back and thigh were relieved. however the second one i had on wed...... felt different immediately with lots of pressure in the back of my thigh, but then normal for the next few hours about 8 hours after I felt like I was being stabbed with hot swards in the spine and my muscle got so tight and it hurt to move I thought i was going to pass out from the pain, I went back into the clinic and was told I was having a flare and that I needed 48 hours of bedrest and percocet and flexeril. well my 48 hours are up and it still feels like sharp stinging pain in my spine with i stand and like my tail bone is going to explode when i sit. I cannt take it I feel like i loosing it metally from the pain and no one believing me or understanding. any suggestions as to where to go or what to do from here. oh I am in a very isolated area and i have very strict insurance. so that limits me but i have began to pay for massage therapy weekely which honestly seems to help more than most things. The drugs just make me more moody and jittery and the percocet dosent stop the pain just akes me not care and hyper which leads to me doing things that make the pain even worse when the meds wear off....... please send any advise or suggestions........ thanks.

tamiloo 01-26-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lailavia (Post 112330)
I am set up for one at a Spine Center/Pain Managent Place the 22 June. I have severe pain in my right thigh, and was referred by rheumatologist. Sounds like you can only have one series a year, may or may not help, but may provide permanent relief? Doctor said (he is an anethesiologist) if it doesn't work they will try other things.

I'm kind of worried about side effects and wondering if anyone got relief and if not what is next? I have herniated disks he is thinking causing nerve root problems. He said my mri didn't even look that bad but this pain is awful.

I have fibro and have ultram and zanaflex, he didn't want to give me anything elst for now so as not to mask the pain before the shot.

I have only had one injection...it hurt me more than helped. My Mom however did really well with it...no pain for a long time...I guess we are all different and also the docs are different...I don't know if that plays a part in it. :confused:

gizmogirl 01-29-2008 04:07 PM

dear lindermern, I am sorry that I have trouble with my posts not showing up - it seems that they show up to others but not to me (sent a note to the admin). So, I may have already responded, but if I didn't, I feel badly for you not getting a response when you asked for advice. Having had so many ESI's, I suppose you have already had all the conversations about when to know if it is worth surgery...
but, the one thing I never got told enough is that MRI's don't always show the doctors enough (they didn't even see clearly enough that my spinal cord had been sitting kinked over upon itself all the time I seemed like just a whiner to them until they did actually cut for surgery). Sometimes you have to remind a doctor of something like my experience if they try to make you feel like a drug seeker, when you really are a pain relief seeker (I saw someone with that great phrase as their signature here). Sometimes you have to go to the trouble (and it's a LOT of trouble) of finding a second opinion. Make sure that your films are recent enough, although it is now known that getting extras is not worth the cumulative radiation dose. But if you haven't had one for more than a year, and your pain level changes rapidly, you really do have to consider doing new films, second opinions, etc. And, if it is time for surgery, second opinions. Although surgery itself has some danger of causing lasting pain, it can also completely cure pain sometimes, so you have to at least consider it.
I really hope that since your last post your pain has resolved and you have all the pain killers you need. A good pain killer should be able to be dosed (an opiate) so that you don't have brain fog, if opiates work for that pain.
Good luck
Jane

mkamph 01-30-2008 06:49 AM

i had them in my neck. first week or so was a bit more painful, but after that the pain had been reduced enough so that i could sleep at night.

Quote:

sugarboo 01-30-2008 03:51 PM

I had the shot in my L-spine back in December. I had immediate and continued results and have been able to sleep much better. I still hurt in the morning and have trouble picking things up, but I start PT next week and hope to have more relief. I reccomend it, at least to try it and see if it works for you.

Peter B 02-10-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeans (Post 201839)
I had the shot in my L-spine back in December. I had immediate and continued results and have been able to sleep much better. I still hurt in the morning and have trouble picking things up, but I start PT next week and hope to have more relief. I recommend it, at least to try it and see if it works for you.

My next set of C5-6-7 steroid injections is still 2 weeks away, and I'm counting the days. Left it too long before arranging, so will book in a month earlier next time.
Limbo land until then.

df847455 02-12-2008 05:42 PM

epidaural injections

I have had them all. You name it. I am at a point where my doctor has said that I am just one of those rare hard to treat people that has very sensitive nerves even though my MRI's don't look as bad as I feel so I am left to find more intense treatments. All that to say: When they worked for me it was incredible. Sometimes it took three before I even felt anything, but when it kicked in it was awesome. I went about 6 years one time without needing them.

They are not bad to get and if they work it is fantastic. Don't give up after the first if it does not work. It may take 3 and sometimes 4. good luck

DM 02-20-2008 09:09 AM

I have had two in my L4-L5 region. The first one helped for about 3-4 months and went off w/o a hitch. The second one hurt when they did it and didn't help at all.

I went for quite a few yrs w/managing my disc pain by myself. As soon as I'd get leg pain/back pain, I'd lay low and let it simmer down.

Well, now I'm suffering from intense back/leg pain again and found out that I have L4-L5 disc that are bone on bone and a large bone spur has developed. Getting an MRI next wk, but they are talking epidurals again..

After the 2nd epidural, I swore I'd never have another one, but right now, I'd do just about anything..... take care all.:grouphug:

Tootsie 02-23-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

My only experience with an epidural was about 41 yrs. ago when I was giving birth to my son:) Then it was a popular procedure just prior to birth to give a spinal epidural.

I had to sit on the side of the 'bed/gurney/what ever they call it in delivery) and bend forward (thats fun when you are giving birth by the way).

It hurt briefly and it was mostly a sting like you get when an needle goes in.

The epidural itself pretty much dulls the pain of the injection!

It's a localized thing in my case back then and wears off fast.

Anyway, I've had way worse things and at the time I welcomed the epi!

Tootsie:D

slinks 02-25-2008 04:11 PM

Painful

I have had several injection and also the electro where they electro your nerves. Very painful..After the injections I thought that I would do better. The pain in my back my legs, feet it was too much to take. They injections only lasted a few days not worth the money or pain. The nerve block did not work at all and now have side effects of the nerver block. I have never had pain in my legs, hips, thighs, feet so bad until I had all of the series of shots and the nerve block. Now I go see a neurosurgeon on Friday for surgery.

sl:eek:

Quote:

mb205 07-13-2009 07:12 PM

I've had 2 epidurals with benefit!

Hi, I am aphysical therapist also with significant LBP and I have had 2 epidurals for disc and nerve pain and they were fantastic and not painful at all. THe trick is to get an MD who is specifically a spine pain anesthesiologist, because this is what they do for a living. I hope you do well!

Quote:

patientL2009 07-31-2009 11:47 AM

Regarding epidural injections

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose53 (Post 113871)
I've had epidurals -- both neck and lumbar. Some worked. Some didn't.

For me, they are NOT painless. I always get a vagal response and come real close to passing out. Especially the ones in my neck. They've now learned to give me a drug beforehand that lessens that.

I had one two years ago in the lumbar. Fluoroscope-guided. Lasted over a year. Absolute joy :D

I had one in my neck about two months ago. Weird. One week after, I had pain in my neck, shoulder, forearm -- but, not in my upper arm or my hand or fingers. Just like the pain was breaking up. After three weeks, it was pretty much no pain.

I just had one in my lumbar spine about a week ago. Supposed to be fluoroscope-guided. Wasn't :mad: But, the director of the pain management center did this one personally. I think they were short-staffed. I got really horrendous facial flushing from this one -- never happened before.

I almost always turn into STEROID-WITCH for about 6 weeks after (PURE RAGE). Hasn't happened yet on this one. Didn't happen as much last month either, come to think of it.

I go to one of the best teaching hospitals in Boston. They'll do three shots per year -- sometimes four. They're like gold -- I only get them when I absolutely cannot stand the pain anymore. Having the neck and the lumbar fratzed at the same was kicking me to the curb.

You have to be real careful of steroids. You can lose your hips if you get too many injections.

I prefer the fluoroscope-guided ones because I have such weird architecture in my lumbar. They will NOT do the ones in the neck that way here. I think they're usually willing to do them that way in the lumbar because they get more money -- I truly believe that the reason I didn't get it this time was because of short-staffing.

I would NEVER in a million years say that they're painless -- very painful -- for me anyway :eek: Then you throw in the vagal response, always gotta be someone there making sure they don't have to scrape me off the floor :D

When they work, they're a G-d-send. When they don't work, it's like finding out that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy don't exist -- heartbreaking.

Barb

Hi-
I've had two guided epidural injections is the L4 L5 S1 area. The first in 02/09.I was really frightened to get this done but found that is wasn't a burden at all. In fact it gave me instant releif for the first few days but then the pain in my back and leg returned. After two weeks I got some releive for a couple of more weeks, the pain went from a 7 8 to a 4 5. But then after that the pain returned. I got another injection in a few more months that worked for a few days, then not at all. Now only surgery is in the picture for me as additional problems have been found that are pinching the L5 nerve root and causing sciatica. However, I have a friend who had exact pains as me but was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and she had two injections very close together, perhaps 3 weeks apart and she has no pain at all. She is able to work and do everything as if she was normal. The only side effect she has is a numb leg. I did have spotting for a day with my second injection which they said was a normal side effect (although I am post menapausal by 1.5 years) So the epidural is worth trying in my opinion, prior to seeking surgery. Just make sure you have a guided epidural and it is done by a specialist in spine medication and a good anestheiaologist.

Just Jo 08-06-2009 09:00 AM

Anyone Here Had An Epidural Injection?

Yes, just yesterday 8/5/09 at L5 for lumbar pain radiating to legs, i.e., spinal stenosis.

Procedure: On stomach, betadine'd, lidocaine'd, injection of 40mg Kenalog corticosteroid. Took 10 minutes.

It's just one day post-injection and I feel *so much better*.

Follow up w/anesthesiologist pain mgmt doc on 9/1 to discuss whether or not further injections may be helpful as well as additional PT.

Feeling damn good today. :)

HTH

Nancysue 08-22-2009 11:54 PM

nancy sue

Quote:

I've had great relief from the spinal injections.I have many nerve problems. I think it caused bone loss tho. Not sure. But it made a huge difference.

Kathi49 08-23-2009 07:03 AM

I had lumbar facet injections done 4 days ago; L4/L5/S1 and bi-lateral. I have had them done before, twice, and then a subsequent RF. Let me tell ya...the RF, both times, lasted well over a year. :) I think the trick IS to find a spinal PM (anesthesiologist) and why I am always saying it depends on WHO is doing the injections. At least my feet feel normal for once and there was very little pain; just an increase for a day or two. In any case, and while I realize steroids are involved, it sure as heck beats feeling loopy on meds and allows me to exercise or go into PT when needed. My PM DID ask if I wanted another set, but I told him no...if the pain comes back go straight to an RF because I know they work. :) I think at some point I will need surgery but as long as he can help me to avoid it, I will go this route.